Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 139

Re: Very complimentary thread on Shaggybevo about ISU/Jack Trice

Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    Nice to see UT does have some respectful fans.

Biggest piece of irony in that whole thread is someone from Mcintire, Iowa throwing another part of the state under the bus. I always laugh when I see people who are from BFE ripping on other areas that they consider BFE. No offense Al, just find it funny.
    It's not about the BFE thing. Perhaps I didn't do a good enough job of making that clear. Western Iowa is more culturally similar to Nebraska. It's not a rural or trashy thing, it's more of an ideological thing.

It's also a joke. Lots of nice towns in western Iowa (in fact, many of those towns are probably in nicer shape), but the Vander Plaats/Steve King crowd is more typical of Nebraska politics than Iowa politics.

I don't want to cave the thread, but those guys probably wouldn't get elected in Central or Eastern Iowa.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    There are. One of them was actually attending ISU at the same time as me in the late '90s/early '00s.

Trice's legacy lives on through cousin - Iowa State Daily: Home
    Yep, George is a good dude. Worked with him in Ames when we were going to school at that time.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 666
    Given: 88

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    It's not about the BFE thing. Perhaps I didn't do a good enough job of making that clear. Western Iowa is more culturally similar to Nebraska. It's not a rural or trashy thing, it's more of an ideological thing.

It's also a joke. Lots of nice towns in western Iowa (in fact, many of those towns are probably in nicer shape), but the Vander Plaats/Steve King crowd is more typical of Nebraska politics than Iowa politics.

I don't want to cave the thread, but those guys probably wouldn't get elected in Central or Eastern Iowa.
    I will never hire you in trade negotiations. You traded away Okoboji or at least a large amount of the good times at the Lakes in your deal. Nebraska now owns Taco House too.

It's all snark from here on out

Pro
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post

I grew up in western Iowa and now live in central Iowa and farm in both places. When comparing small towns I have seen basically no difference in ideology between western and central Iowa. What changes the dynamic is Des Moines and Ames in central Iowa and all the larger factory towns in eastern Iowa. I know Steve King personally and while I don't agree with him on social issues he is a big supporter of agriculture and industry which is good for the state and particularly western Iowa.

One thing to remember about western Iowa is that whether or not you are a politician, most don't view the rest of Iowa as an ally. Most dont want to view themselves closer to Nebraskans but history has shown that state government and the rest of the state of Iowa very rarely does what is in the best interest for western Iowa due to lack of population and lack of votes. There will always be a rogue or seperationist mindset to western Iowa. I'd compare it to how ISU fans feel about the larger schools controlling the big 12.

I will never forget the first time I got to meet Terry Brandstad as a kid in the late 80's. My dad asked him why he never visits western Iowa and and asked what he has done to benefit job growth etc in western Iowa instead of DSM and Cedar Rapids. Brandstad looked my dad in the face and said he was in western Iowa just the week before when he was in BOONE. My dad grabbed my hand and we walked away mid sentence.

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I was about to troll shaggybevo hard. This is making me reconsider.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 826
    Given: 478

Texas fans are cool, I loved the town of Austin and going to a game there. Great town, absolutely awesome college town, and fun people. It was 10x cooler than College Station, and I won't even waste the time comparing Waco to Austin.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 71

Quote Originally Posted by DMICyclone View Post
    I was about to troll shaggybevo hard. This is making me reconsider.
    Read the other 2 threads about ISU and then go troll away

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I will never hire you in trade negotiations. You traded away Okoboji or at least a large amount of the good times at the Lakes in your deal. Nebraska now owns Taco House too.
    I actually realized this and tried to edit my post to keep Dickinson County in Iowa, for this exact reason. For some reason about half of my posts on ShaggyBevo I can't edit.

I grew up in western Iowa and now live in central Iowa and farm in both places. When comparing small towns I have seen basically no difference in ideology between western and central Iowa. What changes the dynamic is Des Moines and Ames in central Iowa and all the larger factory towns in eastern Iowa. I know Steve King personally and while I don't agree with him on social issues he is a big supporter of agriculture and industry which is good for the state and particularly western Iowa.

One thing to remember about western Iowa is that whether or not you are a politician, most don't view the rest of Iowa as an ally. Most dont want to view themselves closer to Nebraskans but history has shown that state government and the rest of the state of Iowa very rarely does what is in the best interest for western Iowa due to lack of population and lack of votes. There will always be a rogue or seperationist mindset to western Iowa. I'd compare it to how ISU fans feel about the larger schools controlling the big 12.

I will never forget the first time I got to meet Terry Brandstad as a kid in the late 80's. My dad asked him why he never visits western Iowa and and asked what he has done to benefit job growth etc in western Iowa instead of DSM and Cedar Rapids. Brandstad looked my dad in the face and said he was in western Iowa just the week before when he was in BOONE. My dad grabbed my hand and we walked away mid sentence.
    This was exactly what I was attempt to get at over on Shaggy.

I grew up in central (almost eastern) Iowa and my family farms in central and eastern Iowa. I have a lot of friends in Western Iowa, and in my anecdotal experience, it seems noticeably more conservative Christian Republican than rural central or eastern Iowa. Nebraska, in my anecdotal experience, is very conservative Christian Republican, outside of Omaha. Thus the assertion that western Iowa has more in common with Nebraska than the rest of Iowa. It's not about western Iowa being "beneath" the rest of the state or more "out in BFE". It's just more like Nebraska in certain ways.

You nail it on the head when you say that Western Iowa feels like it doesn't have the allies in Des Moines that Central and Eastern Iowa do.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 856
    Given: 1,469

When did UT and A&M integrate? I'm curious after all of their comments in that thread.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,490
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 199

Quote Originally Posted by Max57 View Post
    Commission someone a la Ken Burns for a 60 sec piece. Use part of the Aggy exit fees.

Any idea who currently does the media for the new scoreboard? I'd love to start a movement to get them to do this! Even if it requires donations.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    When did UT and A&M integrate? I'm curious after all of their comments in that thread.
    The first black graduate students were admitted in 1950.
    The first black undergraduate students were admitted in 1956.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 165

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    A&M did not allow Women (full time) or minorities until the 1960's.

Women were allowed to take classes in the summer only starting in 1911 (first one didn't graduate until 1924 but couldn't participate in the ceremonies).

Last edited by ISUAgronomist; 09-27-2011 at 07:09 PM.