Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Some interesting stats about CPR's ISU teams

CPR's ISU team has won 15 games by an average of 11 point margin with 6 games decided with 7 points or less. These are THE Nebraska win in 2009 (9-7), THE Insight Bowl win over Minnesota in 2009 (14-13), THE win over Texas in 2010 and the remaining three came this year over UNI, Iowa and UConn. What does this tell us?

- Thinking positive: 1) Rhoads team can finish games that are winnable, 2) Our coaches have a lot of faith in our playmakers, 3) We have the right coaches in this program

- Thinking negative: 1) We are depending on our defense "too" heavily 2) Our offense is not taking what the opponent's defense is giving them in order to make plays to keep our defense off the field 3) We are an ALL 4 qtr, if not a 4th qtr team

The culture has changed from playing 3 qtrs of football (Chizik), playing not to loose (DMac) to playing 4 qtrs of football and playing to win (Texas Tech win - running up the score).

===================

CPR's ISU team has lost 13 games by an average of 20 point margin. There were 4 games we lost by 7 points or less. They are: the TWO KState games at KC in back to back years, loss to Kansas in 2009 and loss to Nebraska in 2010. What does this tell us?

- Thinking positive: 1) With the 10 games decided with a 7 point margin or less, we won 6 and lost 4 - we are not "O" & TEN, 2) We are 1 play shy of being 6-6 om 2010 (or 2 plays from 7-5 in 2010)

- Thinking negative: 1) In 2009 we lost three games by 20 points or more, In 2010 we lost FOUR games by 20 points or more - not good! 2) There were games that we didn't belong AT ALL - maybe the coaches didn't have the right playcalls from the get go or the Texas and Oklahoma's of the world were just that much better than us...

====================

In summary, I think we have been IN more games than before for the entire ball game. If you take away the losses with 14 point margin or more, we have been in all 21 of 28 games - that's 75% of our games that we were within less than 2 scores. That's DARN GOOD in BIG XII if you ask me.

I really hope we can continue to believe in our playmakers and stay healthy throughout this season. I see big things in ISU football.

GO CYCLONES!!!

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

Re: Some interesting stats about CPR's ISU teams

I agree with almost everything but running up the score against Tech? What? You obviously weren't watching the game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I agree with almost everything but running up the score against Tech? What? You obviously weren't watching the game.

When we caught the football on the on site kick, our player (SJ???) took it to the end zone. He didn't have to. The game ends there with 2 minutes remaining, meaning we run the clock for 2 minutes...

WE ARE IOWA STATE

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

There used to be 11-12 games a year we didn't belong in at all. I'm not complaining one bit. We have improved dramatically and this is only his third year, which means he has been using Mac and chizik players not ones he recruited for his system.

Our non con schedule has been awful to him also, not what building programs want.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonomaniac View Post
    When we caught the football on the on site kick, our player (SJ???) took it to the end zone. He didn't have to. The game ends there with 2 minutes remaining, meaning we run the clock for 2 minutes...
    I think it was Reeves, and that wasn't running up the score. That was a heads up play. Up 7 with a minute to go isn't safe. Putting a TD on the board isn't running up the score, especially with as poorly as the defense was in the second half.

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,203
    Given: 132

How can you conclude that winning close games means we rely too much on our defense? One has nothing to do with the other. You can win 10-0 in a defensive game or 54-53 in an offensive game. Because you only won by 1 in the latter, does that mean you relied too much on your defense?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,185
    Given: 1,041

Uh, no. That was a play that was there to be made, and by no stretch of the imagination would constitute running up the score.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,180
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    How can you conclude that winning close games means we rely too much on our defense? One has nothing to do with the other. You can win 10-0 in a defensive game or 54-53 in an offensive game. Because you only won by 1 in the latter, does that mean you relied too much on your defense?
    Agreed. Even if we are relying on our defense, why is that a bad thing? Alabama relies on their defense. LSU relies on their defense. Good defensive teams rely on their defense. Hopefully Iowa State gets to a point where it can rely on its defense more.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I've seen teams score 3 tds in 2 minutes. If a team runs an onside, it generally means they think they can win the game. It is chaos during these things, you are not thinking about that stuff at time, you see the end zone and you want to score.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard ISU accused of running up the score.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post

I was actually not going with the numbers there. I looked at the game stats individually in our close wins. Our defense was on the field more than our offense.

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Speechless
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 621

Winning games on the road is a change also.....

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I was actually not going with the numbers there. I looked at the game stats individually in our close wins. Our defense was on the field more than our offense.
    One reason for that is that our defense has been poor in not giving up a ton of yards. Couple that with an offense that didn't light up the scoreboard and runs no huddle and the defense does look like it's on the field a lot. Our defense rarely has gone 3 and out the last few years so every possession is a few minutes they're on the field.

I'd be thrilled to see that "Games beat by 20+" number at 0 or 1 this year. Oklahoma is about the only excusable one. We should never lose at JTS by 20+. Ever.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BCClone View Post
    I've seen teams score 3 tds in 2 minutes. If a team runs an onside, it generally means they think they can win the game. It is chaos during these things, you are not thinking about that stuff at time, you see the end zone and you want to score.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard ISU accused of running up the score.

Hey, I am all about running up the score at times, believe me. In this BCS system, you have to, or you will be the last one to get ranked, think Oklahoma vs LSU vs Boise State with the similar record. However, the Texas Tech game the coaching staff may have said a word about not wanting to add that last minute TD.

I also agree that to seal a victory over a Texas team, its very important to take advantage of every situation, you never know what can happen. However, I don't think anyone will argue with me what DMac's team would have done in that scenario. We would have definitely taken a knee!

WE ARE IOWA STATE

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Winning games on the road is a change also.....
    Yes, and over teams that were favored by at least TWO touchdowns.

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Pro
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneG View Post
    Agreed. Even if we are relying on our defense, why is that a bad thing? Alabama relies on their defense. LSU relies on their defense. Good defensive teams rely on their defense. Hopefully Iowa State gets to a point where it can rely on its defense more.
    This reminds me of a quote I heard recently (don't remember where, may have been the ESPN announcers during the UConn game): Good offense sells tickets, good defense wins games, and good special teams wins championships.

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.