Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 39

The key match-up vs Texas (Knott + Klein)

I think the key match-up in this game is the Texas run game out on the perimeter against the ISU LBs/DBs.

ISU has lined up against 42+ rushes per game(19th most in the nation), and is only allowing 3.7 YPC. Iowa State is also only 1 of 9 defenses to not surrender a rush of 20 or more yards. You don't do that without some talent and coaching.

Here's the thing....the Cyclones have predominantly faced teams that run between the tackles though, and/or had some 1 trick pony scrambling QB (UNI/Uconn) to contend with. ISU hasn't been world beaters against the run, but have held their own over the course of a game and holes big enough for trucks to drive through haven't opened either.

By watching Texas, and how they run some gimmicky misdirectional stuff, they really test the discipline and tackling of a defense in 1 on 1 situations. That's going to be something new for ISU to face...I almost wanna say its like an option team and how they are hard to contend with on 1 weeks preparation. We'll see how 2 weeks to prepare helps ISU. I'm sure ol' Wally has already seen this crap before.

The good news is that Knott and Klein really run well sideline to sideline. Matty T is crazy aggressive getting penetration as well. Jeremy Reeves may be one of the surest tacklers on the team. I think Benton is really good tackler as well. The DEs aren't big, but they rely on their quickness and effort to make plays. They just might be the right guys for the job. I'd bet the coaches might think at times Lattimer is like having an extra LB on the field. ISU might have the horses....just needs the discipline.

I think ISU can match Texas fairly well. Especially when Texas tries to come through the tackles. The main problem being that Texas uses movement very well to deceive the defense.

I BEG OF YOU ALL...be there, be passionate, and BE F'N LOUD BY ANYMEANS NECESSARY. Bring screaming kids. Bring old people shaking pill bottles. Bring whoopie cushions!
    Lets give this team 100% encouragement ALL game long like they've never heard before. Who cares if you can't even talk about the win on Sunday because you're hoarse.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Starter
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: The key match-up vs Texas (Knott + Klein)

Defensively I don't think we match up bad at all. The back seven is solid and with the depth we have up front, I'm not real worried about getting worn down as long as our offense does something to move the chains.

The bigger concern for me is what our offense does. Jantz is the key. If he is patient and takes what the defense gives him, the running game will open up and ISU has a great chance to win. If Jantz throws a few picks and we keep committing penalties like we have, the defense will be on the field all day and it could get ugly. I hope Herman has a great game plan like he did against Iowa because we'll need it.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 39

I heard on some show they detailed how Texas brought pressure...the good news is that i seemed to remember them saying it wasn't a lot of disguised stuff(but I could be wrong). that might be for the best.

I think ISU can run on them.

Texas appears that they aren't all that stout against the run. 3.6 YPC. Not much better than ISU's run D. BYU was the only team that didn't run for over 4YPC, and obviously that's not a team that will pound the ground game. Maybe The Clones need to loosen up the D on the ground 1st and let the game come to Jantz a little then go to the air more in the 2nd qtr.

I feel Rhoads needs to coach this like the superbowl is played these days and be conservative in the 1st qtr to feel things out, then open up the O.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    I think the key match-up in this game is the Texas run game out on the perimeter against the ISU LBs/DBs.

ISU has lined up against 42+ rushes per game(19th most in the nation), and is only allowing 3.7 YPC. Iowa State is also only 1 of 9 defenses to not surrender a rush of 20 or more yards. You don't do that without some talent and coaching.

Here's the thing....the Cyclones have predominantly faced teams that run between the tackles though, and/or had some 1 trick pony scrambling QB (UNI/Uconn) to contend with. ISU hasn't been world beaters against the run, but have held their own over the course of a game and holes big enough for trucks to drive through haven't opened either.

By watching Texas, and how they run some gimmicky misdirectional stuff, they really test the discipline and tackling of a defense in 1 on 1 situations. That's going to be something new for ISU to face...I almost wanna say its like an option team and how they are hard to contend with on 1 weeks preparation. We'll see how 2 weeks to prepare helps ISU. I'm sure ol' Wally has already seen this crap before.

The good news is that Knott and Klein really run well sideline to sideline. Matty T is crazy aggressive getting penetration as well. Jeremy Reeves may be one of the surest tacklers on the team. I think Benton is really good tackler as well. The DEs aren't big, but they rely on their quickness and effort to make plays. They just might be the right guys for the job. I'd bet the coaches might think at times Lattimer is like having an extra LB on the field. ISU might have the horses....just needs the discipline.

I think ISU can match Texas fairly well. Especially when Texas tries to come through the tackles. The main problem being that Texas uses movement very well to deceive the defense.

I BEG OF YOU ALL...be there, be passionate, and BE F'N LOUD BY ANYMEANS NECESSARY. Bring screaming kids. Bring old people shaking pill bottles. Bring whoopie cushions!
    Lets give this team 100% encouragement ALL game long like they've never heard before. Who cares if you can't even talk about the win on Sunday because you're hoarse.
    I'll add I hope Henry Simon comes in and and is a beast ........... in the 2 deeps I see. 6'3" 302 lbs and very strong NG.

Walk On
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think we need to start Jantz off with some short passes. On that first drive against Iowa we had a couple first downs on just quick slant passes. I believe those passes gave Jants confidence and calmed him down. Against UCONN we came out throwing it twenty yards downfield the first four passes. We don't need to run the ball the whole first quarter just use manageable passes.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,671
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

You forgot to mention Leonard Johnson. One of the best corners in the big 12.

Again, you don't hear his named called much because no one goes his way.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Keys to a Cyclone victory v Longhorns

1) Saturday evening, the Cyclones are going to look across the line and see someone they beat last year. That's huge.

2) I really like our secondary as difference makers in this contest. The coverage our corners provide demands perfect throws to beat it. Ditto, our LB's and nickel and dime backs. They can cause a young QB to hang on to the ball too long which results in sacks and bad throws.

3) These Cyclones expect to win and refuse to lose. Our upper classmen are a very strong group. They have led this team to overcome adversity and produce wins 3 times this year. This may be our biggest edge.

4) We are due for a game with few penalties and no TO's. This team is too well coached for that to continue.

Polls notwithstanding, I think Texas is on a par - as a functioning team - with our first 3 opponents. We are going to play our best game of the year and win by 10. 30-20.

Early commit - fall 2024

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

IMO- The key match up will be OL vs DL. Texas likes to run between the tackles and is predicatble when they go to the edge. We are a very disciplined team so I am not worried about the misdirection stuff. Ash runs the zone read much, much better than McCoy but I wouldn't expect Ash to play much anymore.

IMO- Texas will come in and try to establish the ground game right up the gut. That is their offense anyway and thye would like nothing more than to show little ol' ISU that Texas has returned. I like the fact that Simon will add an extra body tot he DL and may give Laing an opportunity to slide over to DE on first and second downs. Tau'fo'ou could have a big game but I will be worried with him in the game as that will put Shipley in the slot against Klein. That is a bad, bad match up for us.

"Not at the table Carlos."

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 91

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    You forgot to mention Leonard Johnson. One of the best corners in the big 12.

Again, you don't hear his named called much because no one goes his way.
    Someone needs to step up and force them to go his way. I miss him.