Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What Makes This Coaching Staff Special

You know it was hard to convince people after the 0-2 start that this staff really is special, but gentleman and gentlewomen, hang onto your butts, because the approach this staff is taking will get us to the promised land. They are doing it right and doing it right isn't always (usually) a quick fix, but this is going to be fun to be a part of.

I took a look at the four diiffernt approaches that coaches take to building a program in my Blog and what Gene and crew are doing is so superior to what Leach did at TTU, what Brewsters is trying to do at Minnesota etc. Take a read and let me know if you agree.

Link to Blog

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Re: What Makes This Coaching Staff Special

Too early to start saying this staff is going to be special or not. I hope it is but after 3 games it's pretty early to start proclaiming these guys as saviors for the ISU FB program. We still have a lot of games left and none are considered easy wins.

Go Cubs Go!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Anybody else think (hope) that we'll see a leap in performance from week 3 to week 4.

I have to wonder if some of our issues, particularly on O, didn't stem from maybe a little insecurity, lack of trust, maybe even resentment of a new coaching staff that didn't recruit an experienced unit?

Call it what you like. Lack of effort, not "buying in" to the program. Whatever.

Now, with a little taste of victory, against a very sweet opponent, in extremely difficult circumstances - will it be easier of these guys to hit the field on Saturday in Toledo? Do THEY have more reason to believe in the staff, and not just the fans?

I've said it all season, the problem has been the skill positions on O, not the line as in the past. The line was pretty much stellar against a rock-solid front in iowa. They got a taste of blood that should keep them rolling. And the O finally managed to claim victory from the jaws of defeat - a rare occurance. There's too much talent in those skill players to play they way they have, and even the way the did on Saturday (no TD's). I still maintain it's a powder-keg waiting to go.

I'm expecting an explosion of offensive productivity in Toledo.

Honestly, I think the biggest question will be can the D outperform what they did against iowa? Can they "get up" against a less marquee opponent in a game with less emotion and hype?

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Too early to start saying this staff is going to be special or not. I hope it is but after 3 games it's pretty early to start proclaiming these guys as saviors for the ISU FB program. We still have a lot of games left and none are considered easy wins.
    Point of the write up is that it isn't about last saturday nor about this season. I doubt any of us will look back on this season and call it special. What makes them special and I believe will make the future special is their approach and that is what I wrote about.

Last edited by JCloned; 09-17-2007 at 01:22 PM.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Rookie
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

I am hoping that this game serves as a catalyst, similar to the Florida State game in '02. After that game, we played with a swagger for the next 6 weeks that I had never seen from Iowa State before. It is a matter of believing they can win. Now don't get me wrong, Oklahoma really exposed that team with a game that took almost 2 years to recover from (I believe we still are). i also realize that Iowa in '07 is not the same as Florida State in '02.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I agree.

I almost posted on Saturday, that I thought the D looked almost Texas-esque. Not that the talent was necessarily on par with the Longhorns. But they were playing with some enthusiasm and a swagger, that we hadn't seen in quite a while. Flying to the ball. Making solid 1:1 or openfield tackles. Very impressive.

You rarely see anything resembling fear or lack-of-confidence from Texas. And even after the iowa TD, they didn't back down or falter.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    Point of the write up is that it isn't about last saturday nor about this season. I doubt any of us will look back on this season and call it special. What makes them special and I believe will make the future special is their approach and that is what I wrote about.
    JCloned I agree with your assessment that this staff is special. I do, however, have a different take on why I believe that is the case.

There are many keys to a successful program, but it starts with leadership. I think one thing that separates coaches is the difference between power, authority and leadership.

A man with a gun for example has power. A supervisor has authority, but neither of those is leadership. Leaders inspire those around them to follow their vision. Leaders trigger and shape change. I see these qualities in how people react to both GC and JP.

It was very telling to me that through the transition of coaches virtually no one left the program. That may seem subtle, but it tells me GC is someone the players and coaches are drawn to follow.

By comparison look at what has transpired at KSU. The type of fallout at KSU exhibits a coach that has power, but may lack the ability to inspire people to follow.

Last edited by mt85; 09-17-2007 at 01:57 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 404

The big difference for our winning was our mistakes were cut way down. One fumble and a couple penalties. We still need to be able to run up the middle better. Hope that is solved at Toledo. Those poor guys at Toledo - their defense is having a long year. Spend $9 and watch the game on the computer Sat at 6:00.

Last edited by Wesley; 09-17-2007 at 02:01 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    JCloned I agree with your assessment that this staff is special. I do, however, have a different take on why I believe that is the case.

There are many keys to a successful program, but it starts with leadership. I think one thing that separates coaches is the difference between power, authority and leadership.

A man with a gun for example has power. A supervisor has authority, but neither of those is leadership. Leaders inspire those around them to follow their vision. Leaders trigger and shape change. I see these qualities in how people react to both GC and JP.

It was very telling to me that through the transition of coaches virtually no one left the program. That may seem subtle, but it tells me GC is someone the players and coaches are drawn to follow.

By comparison look at what has transpired at KSU. The type of fallout at KSU exhibits a coach that has power, but may lack the ability to inspire people to follow.

I don't disagree. I think within any approach there are great leaders, mediocre leaders, and poor leaders. That to me differentiates their success in their approach. I think you are dead on in your assessment of JP & GC along with the contrast to Prince at KSU

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 71

I agree with you in general. I think this coaching staff knows what they're here for, to take us to a Big XII championship game. That's why we brought them here.

I think they're most interested in getting our guys to play the right way first, with the right mentality. If we do that, wins will soon (this year or next) follow.