Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

I'm not a Texas fan but...

I'm a fan of their fans. I have been lurking on shaggybevo lately and they're definitely an entertaining bunch.

Anyone ever been down to Austin? Are they as fun in person?

Also, the board seems pretty level-headed and rational which isn't what I expected. Is that just because it's a board? Because they're Texas and they don't NEED to worry? Or what? Just curious what the perception of their culture is. They're certainly less disturbing than the ags...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 4

Re: I'm not a Texas fan but...

Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post
    I'm a fan of their fans. I have been lurking on shaggybevo lately and they're definitely an entertaining bunch.

Also, the board seems pretty level-headed and rational which isn't what I expected. Is that just because it's a board? Because they're Texas and they don't NEED to worry? Or what? Just curious what the perception of their culture is. They're certainly less disturbing than the ags...
    I absolutely despise Texas and what they have done to this league. That said however, I went last year to the game. I did not hear one single negative comment come my way. In fact, many many complete strangers stopped and congratulated me after the game. Honestly, probably the nicest fans I have ever seen.

That does not make me stop despising them however.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 6

The fans are a class act/I have loved every minute mingling with them when I have gone to games in Austin.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 716
    Given: 161

Austin is a pretty great city. You pegged it regarding their fans. They're Texas. No worries.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 110

Was down there in '02 for our game and had a great experience. Was actually there all week for a training session and their fans were great all week. Of course, we were coming off the drubbing by OU and I'm pretty sure they got beat by OU badly that year too, so I guess we had something in common.

During the game, my buddy and I had prime seats in a large donor section, and we were made to feel at home. Talked quite a bit with our neighbors about our respective seasons and players, most of them wished they had Seneca on their team. All in all, great time, great fans.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 123

Austin is a great time. Texas fans are absolutely top notch in person. Even after we beat them last year, they were still friendly as hell.

I've been to Columbia, Manhattan, Lincoln, Waco, College Station, and Austin. Austin is #1 for sure.

This flag was flying from the front of an Austin bar the night before the game. Very classy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	197148_870022650640_16907655_46402141_987895_n.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	10081  

Last edited by Al_4_State; 09-26-2011 at 09:04 AM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    I absolutely despise Texas and what they have done to this league. That said however, I went last year to the game. I did not hear one single negative comment come my way. In fact, many many complete strangers stopped and congratulated me after the game. Honestly, probably the nicest fans I have ever seen.

That does not make me stop despising them however.
    This is why I started the thread. I expected their fans to be as arrogant, despicable and greedy as their athletics department. When they didn't seem to be, I was surprised and wanted to see what the perception was here. Sounds like I'll need to get down to Austin in my lifetime (or the next 6 years, depending on who you talk to...).

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 12

I recruited accountants from UT for a few years. The school has money, athletic tradition, and a strong academic reputation --- and they know it. They are not overtly arrogant like the typical Michigan alumnus rather they are sufficiently confident to be nice to others. Austin, Texas is growing tech center which attracts a well-paid, younger, educated, and hipper work force to compliment the old-money. This prevents the power being concentrated in a few major donors.

Because they can just about attract any student, athlete, coach, or professor they want you have to wonder why they don't win every battle they take on.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,106
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 91

This is why I started the thread. I expected their fans to be as arrogant, despicable and greedy as their athletics department. When they didn't seem to be, I was surprised and wanted to see what the perception was here. Sounds like I'll need to get down to Austin in my lifetime (or the next 6 years, depending on who you talk to...).
    Oh, don't worry, I've met plenty of Horn fans down here who fit this description perfectly. The school has a ton of affluent alums and donors, and they can be extremely elitist, especially with regard to cute little ISU.

This obviously does not apply to everyone, as I have encountered some fun, laid back Horn fans who are very respectful.

And A&M fans are still worse.

btw, there are a lot of ISU alums in the Austin area. If you make it down sometime, you will have friends.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 194

My Austin Experience: I was at the ISU v Texas game last fall when we beat the Wronghorns. We had tickets in the endzone about 12 rows up - great seats. There were very few people there - ISU wasn't a big enough draw. Walking across campus before the game in any other city the opposing fans either welcome you or haze you. In Austin, they ignore you; almost like if they pretend they don't see you you're not really there.

As the game started there were several fans around us that really reminded me of Hawkeye fans; simply rude. I had my 11 year old daughter with us and was embarraseed for the UT fans. But finally, another UT fan came down from two rows and told them to knock it off, and several other fans cheered that he'd done it. He then came over and apologized. The rude fans moved. As the game was into the 2nd quarter you could hear a pin drop in the stadium as the UT fans were simply disgusted with their team. Into the middle of the 3rd quarter many/most had left. Into the 4th quarter the older couple who had moved into the vacant seats beside us were very agitated and the older lady cussed like a sailor about the Cyclones. By then it was beyond comical.

Walking out of the stadium a NUMBER of UT fans congratulated us for the win, many going out of their way to come over and shake our hands. A few UT students were a bit nasty, but I considered it age-related.

We drove to the restaurant district later for celebratory drinks and dinner later, with the Cyclone/ISU flags still flying on the car. We parked in front of Trulucks, which clearly stated it was OK to do so, but checked with the valet just to be sure. When we walked out from dinner my Tahoe was gone. It had been towed. As I attempted to ask the valets they would run past without making eye contact. After a couple of calls I confirmed it had been impounded and jumped into a cab to head to the impound lot. As I drove off the valets began to high-five each other not knowing my wife and her friend were still standing amongst them. Trulucks sent us a reimbursement for the towing fees the next week.

As my wife, her friend, and my daughter returned to the Embassy Suites after the game several teen kids threw things at them from the balconies as they walked through the atrium. My 11 year old was scared, and the ladies were disgusted. When I returned to the hotel with my car and discussed the kids w/ the manager he said that it seems to happen after each home game win-or-lose - kids will be kids.

I've decided after living here a while now that it isn't the Wronghorns that I hate. Its their fans. Not all of them; just most of them.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 123

The Aggie fans we sat in front of in College Station called the police after my buddy yelled the F word following a Tiller INT. He then immediately apologized to everyone in the area and shut his mouth the rest of the half.

Sociopaths...

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

My wife and I have been to three I-State football games in Austin. Last season's game was obviously the best experience of the three. We were sitting in a section at about the 35 yard line in the midst of long-time season ticket holders (my wife's uncle gave us his tickets for the the game). The Longhorn fans around us were incredibly nice to us. Prior to the game you could tell they assumed they'd be winning the game with ease. By mid way through the game they got pretty quiet and were a bit in shock. After the game they were very gracious and congratulatory. And on our long walk back to the car we had many Longhorn fans go out of their way to come over and shake our hands. We didn't have a single bad experience with anybody.

On a previous season's game there, we did have drunken Longhorn fans a couple of rows behind us chucking empty beer cans at us. So we've seen both kinds of Longhorn fans.

I think the actual alumni fan base in Austin are pretty good and nice to the visiting fans. The problem is that UT is such a state icon that there are so many "t-shirt fans" - the kind that never attended school there but associate themselves with the school. In my opinion, it is these fans that are the crappy ones and UT has a lot of them.

Addict
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by TXCyclones View Post
    My Austin Experience: I was at the ISU v Texas game last fall when we beat the Wronghorns. We had tickets in the endzone about 12 rows up - great seats. There were very few people there - ISU wasn't a big enough draw. Walking across campus before the game in any other city the opposing fans either welcome you or haze you. In Austin, they ignore you; almost like if they pretend they don't see you you're not really there.

As the game started there were several fans around us that really reminded me of Hawkeye fans; simply rude. I had my 11 year old daughter with us and was embarraseed for the UT fans. But finally, another UT fan came down from two rows and told them to knock it off, and several other fans cheered that he'd done it. He then came over and apologized. The rude fans moved. As the game was into the 2nd quarter you could hear a pin drop in the stadium as the UT fans were simply disgusted with their team. Into the middle of the 3rd quarter many/most had left. Into the 4th quarter the older couple who had moved into the vacant seats beside us were very agitated and the older lady cussed like a sailor about the Cyclones. By then it was beyond comical.

Walking out of the stadium a NUMBER of UT fans congratulated us for the win, many going out of their way to come over and shake our hands. A few UT students were a bit nasty, but I considered it age-related.

We drove to the restaurant district later for celebratory drinks and dinner later, with the Cyclone/ISU flags still flying on the car. We parked in front of Trulucks, which clearly stated it was OK to do so, but checked with the valet just to be sure. When we walked out from dinner my Tahoe was gone. It had been towed. As I attempted to ask the valets they would run past without making eye contact. After a couple of calls I confirmed it had been impounded and jumped into a cab to head to the impound lot. As I drove off the valets began to high-five each other not knowing my wife and her friend were still standing amongst them. Trulucks sent us a reimbursement for the towing fees the next week.

As my wife, her friend, and my daughter returned to the Embassy Suites after the game several teen kids threw things at them from the balconies as they walked through the atrium. My 11 year old was scared, and the ladies were disgusted. When I returned to the hotel with my car and discussed the kids w/ the manager he said that it seems to happen after each home game win-or-lose - kids will be kids.

I've decided after living here a while now that it isn't the Wronghorns that I hate. Its their fans. Not all of them; just most of them.
    you mean in your section? there was 100,000 at the game

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 117

Texas fans and Austin are 'cool' as long as your team doesn't beat them. Their reaction is similar to their coach.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 194

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    you mean in your section? there was 100,000 at the game

Might have sold 100K tickets, but they weren't at the game. It rained in the a.m. before the game and cleared off an hour or so before kickoff. I would bet maybe 55,000 in the stands, but there's no way there was 100,000.