Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Big 12 Network?

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 132,653, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    6,718
    Points
    132,653
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 19

    Big 12 Network?

    I know this has been discussed throughout the forums, but I want to get a little more in-depth.

    I don't know a whole lot about how these things work, but I'm curious as to why the Big XII schools aren't putting together their own network.

    I know that UT and OU are planning to go it alone, which simply is what it is. But the 7 remaining schools could still do this, right? Obviously the money would be nowhere near the Big Ten Network, but wouldn't it be better than keeping Tier III rights individual?

    Getting this pseudo-Big 12 Network into homes in Texas (25.1 mil), Oklahoma (3.8 mil), Missouri (6.0 mil), Kansas (2.9 mil), and Iowa (3.0 mil) alone reaches the footprint of the combined population of almost 41 million people. If BYU wants to keep their own network, I wouldn't want them to join the conference. Same with TCU, who doesn't add anything. Ideally in this situation, I'd want Louisville, who could pull the 4.3 million additional people in the state of Kentucky. That gets us over 45 million people. Not to mention carrying this nationally on satellite carriers, which could have quite a bit more potential.

    For reference, the combined populations of NE, IA, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MI, and PA are just over 69 million. Split 12 ways that's an average of 5.75 million per team. 41 million split 7 ways is an average of 5.86 million people per team. I realize that this does not directly correlate - especially without the conference's two biggest draws on the network - but the discrepancy may not be as big as currently thought.

    Not having UT and OU would be a hit, but road conference games for those teams could be on this network if they make it to Tier III. UT and OU don't play on the third tier anyway, so what's the big deal?

    Someone tell me if I am way off base or if this is a good idea that the 7 remaining schools should pursue.


    Last edited by CyFan61; 09-24-2011 at 11:31 AM.

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 26,553, Level: 50
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,881
    Points
    26,553
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 12 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I know this has been discussed throughout the forums, but I want to get a little more in-depth.

    I don't know a whole lot about how these things work, but I'm curious as to why the Big XII schools aren't putting together their own network.

    I know that UT and OU are planning to go it alone, which simply is what it is. But the 7 remaining schools could still do this, right? Obviously the money would be nowhere near the Big Ten Network, but wouldn't it be better than keeping Tier III rights individual?

    Getting this pseudo-Big 12 Network into homes in Texas (25.1 mil), Oklahoma (3.8 mil), Missouri (6.0 mil), Kansas (2.9 mil), and Iowa (3.0 mil) alone reaches the footprint of the combined population of almost 41 million people. If BYU wants to keep their own network, I wouldn't want them to join the conference. Same with TCU, who doesn't add anything. Ideally in this situation, I'd want Louisville, who could pull the 4.3 million additional people in the state of Kentucky. That gets us over 45 million people. Not to mention carrying this nationally on satellite carriers, which could have quite a bit more potential.

    For reference, the combined populations of NE, IA, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MI, and PA are just over 69 million. Split 12 ways that's an average of 5.75 million per team. 41 million split 7 ways is an average of 5.86 million people per team. I realize that this does not directly correlate - especially without the conference's two biggest draws on the network - but the discrepancy may not be as big as currently thought.

    Not having UT and OU would be a hit, but road conference games for those teams could be on this network if they make it to Tier III. UT and OU don't play on the third tier anyway, so what's the big deal?

    Someone tell me if I am way off base or if this is a good idea that the 7 remaining schools should pursue.
    Somebody mentioned the other day they heard rumblings that OU, OSU, Tulsa, and the OKC Thunder might go in together to make a network. Also, there are some rumblings about Missouri doing their own thing. Also, you can't figure that ISU is going to bring the whole state of Iowa to the table. Hawk fans would throw a fit if a Big 6/7 network was thrown onto their cable deal. Which is also ironic since BTN is forced onto cable in central/western Iowa.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 33,773, Level: 56
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    fccy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Forest City
    Posts
    3,351
    Points
    33,773
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 114

    Re: Big 12 Network?

    It depends on what you are calling a "network". I am assuming you mean a TV network.

    The BTN came about because Fox Sports was willing to guarantee that the network would distribute $X million (I can't remember the number) each year for 5 years, irregardless of whether the network was picked up or not.

    The other part is cooperation brtween the schools in terms of giving up what I suppose would be considered third tier rights.

    Remember, the Pac-10 looked at making their own TV network (similar to BTN)and decided not to.

    I believe there actually is a B12 network, but it is an internet-based network available through the big12sports.com website.


    Last edited by fccy; 09-24-2011 at 12:15 PM.

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 19,730, Level: 42
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,117
    Points
    19,730
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 4

    Re: Big 12 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I know this has been discussed throughout the forums, but I want to get a little more in-depth.

    I don't know a whole lot about how these things work, but I'm curious as to why the Big XII schools aren't putting together their own network.

    I know that UT and OU are planning to go it alone, which simply is what it is. But the 7 remaining schools could still do this, right? Obviously the money would be nowhere near the Big Ten Network, but wouldn't it be better than keeping Tier III rights individual?

    Getting this pseudo-Big 12 Network into homes in Texas (25.1 mil), Oklahoma (3.8 mil), Missouri (6.0 mil), Kansas (2.9 mil), and Iowa (3.0 mil) alone reaches the footprint of the combined population of almost 41 million people. If BYU wants to keep their own network, I wouldn't want them to join the conference. Same with TCU, who doesn't add anything. Ideally in this situation, I'd want Louisville, who could pull the 4.3 million additional people in the state of Kentucky. That gets us over 45 million people. Not to mention carrying this nationally on satellite carriers, which could have quite a bit more potential.

    For reference, the combined populations of NE, IA, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MI, and PA are just over 69 million. Split 12 ways that's an average of 5.75 million per team. 41 million split 7 ways is an average of 5.86 million people per team. I realize that this does not directly correlate - especially without the conference's two biggest draws on the network - but the discrepancy may not be as big as currently thought.

    Not having UT and OU would be a hit, but road conference games for those teams could be on this network if they make it to Tier III. UT and OU don't play on the third tier anyway, so what's the big deal?

    Someone tell me if I am way off base or if this is a good idea that the 7 remaining schools should pursue.

    As much as I would love to have it, I believe that ship has sailed with the LHN. Just makes you sick when you are watching ESPN and they say which is on the SEC or B10 network. If I'm not mistaken didn't the Big 12 have the first shot at getting their own network years ago but they didn't think it would work?



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,883, Level: 86
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,467
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,645
    Points
    76,883
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 6

    Re: Big 12 Network?

    There is no 'real' sec network. I believe its just local distribution of the game.

    I would like the B12 consolidate all the online networks or at least offer a multipass to access them all.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 55,438, Level: 72
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,500
    Points
    55,438
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 12 Network?

    I keep thinking that the sports networks will have a short life expectancy as it won't be long before video streaming will be the delivery mechanism for pro and college sporting events. I've heard JP make reference to this before.



  7. #7
    Walk On
    Points: 7,552, Level: 26
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    206
    Points
    7,552
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Big 12 Network?

    1. Cost. It is estimated ESPN will spend 1 billion over 20 years for the LHN $300 to Texas and the balance to set up and operate the network.

    2. Media rights. Most Big 12 schools have contracts for the third tier rights which they either would have to buy out or wait until they expire.

    3. Marketing. The network has to be sold to numerous cable companies to be viable, they are not simply going to jump on the bandwagon and pay big bucks when most good games will be picked up by ESPN and Fox.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 26,553, Level: 50
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,881
    Points
    26,553
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 12 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post
    I keep thinking that the sports networks will have a short life expectancy as it won't be long before video streaming will be the delivery mechanism for pro and college sporting events. I've heard JP make reference to this before.
    +1.

    I fully expect that 15 years from now cable will be a la carte. I expect cable companies to work hand in hand with mobile streaming devices or internet enabled TV's. I think companies like ESPN and Big 10 network realize this. That's why you're seeing "Watch ESPN" and "Big 10 network 2 go" begin to surface.

    How the a la carte model and video streaming trend will affect ISU and the Big 12, I don't know. I do think it will make it easier for teams to have individual "networks" though since the overhead costs and ability to get "picked up" by a cable network won't be as big of deal.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 11,228, Level: 31
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    leroycyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    810
    Points
    11,228
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 12 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    +1.

    I fully expect that 15 years from now cable will be a la carte. I expect cable companies to work hand in hand with mobile streaming devices or internet enabled TV's. I think companies like ESPN and Big 10 network realize this. That's why you're seeing "Watch ESPN" and "Big 10 network 2 go" begin to surface.

    How the a la carte model and video streaming trend will affect ISU and the Big 12, I don't know. I do think it will make it easier for teams to have individual "networks" though since the overhead costs and ability to get "picked up" by a cable network won't be as big of deal.
    This is one question to ask Jamie Pollard when we have the chance. TV rights and networks must be big discussion point in the Big 12, and not just because of the BTN and LHN. K State made a big deal out of their internet channel. Didn't the Clone Zone come out several years earlier?



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 401,237, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    20,843
    Points
    401,237
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 41

    Re: Big 12 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    +1.

    I fully expect that 15 years from now cable will be a la carte. I expect cable companies to work hand in hand with mobile streaming devices or internet enabled TV's. I think companies like ESPN and Big 10 network realize this. That's why you're seeing "Watch ESPN" and "Big 10 network 2 go" begin to surface.

    How the a la carte model and video streaming trend will affect ISU and the Big 12, I don't know. I do think it will make it easier for teams to have individual "networks" though since the overhead costs and ability to get "picked up" by a cable network won't be as big of deal.
    I dont see that kind of cable model happening anytime in the next 20 years. Especially not with cable providers increasingly intertwined with content creators.



  11. #11
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 12 Network?

    In response to Purple Book Cat's newest post...
    Mere mortals like you and I look at today and can't fathom the landscape three years from now...but what if...

    The long-rumored BTN2 channels are actually school specific. Certain schools may end up sharing, but most will have their own content. Thus, PSU, the only Big Ten school in Pennsylvania, will have one offering of BTN2 that features 80% Penn State content. Nebraksa...same deal. Michigan/Michigan State will choose to partner up or fly solo. Same with Indiana/Purdue and Northwestern/Illinois and Wiscy/Minny/Iowa. Guess what? In 2014, TEXAS WALKS IN and GETS THE SAME DEAL! It will be called LHN from 2011-2014; then, it will change to BTN2. Each school keeps any revenue off of their "third tier" rights, while the Tier 1 and Tier 2 rights belong to the league. Ultimately, the revenue stream from BTN and contracts with ABC/ESPN will be 90-95% of what the Big Ten schools makes. However, there will be some discrepancy between what, let's say, Texas or Nebraska or Penn State makes and what Indiana makes.

    Swap out BTN for B12?



  12. #12
    Prospect
    Points: 3,241, Level: 16
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    24
    Points
    3,241
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 12 Network?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    Somebody mentioned the other day they heard rumblings that OU, OSU, Tulsa, and the OKC Thunder might go in together to make a network. Also, there are some rumblings about Missouri doing their own thing. Also, you can't figure that ISU is going to bring the whole state of Iowa to the table. Hawk fans would throw a fit if a Big 6/7 network was thrown onto their cable deal. Which is also ironic since BTN is forced onto cable in central/western Iowa.
    Seems like their going to allow Tier 3 schools to continue their own networks and as mentioned above OU, OSU, Tulsa, and the OKC Thunder may start a network. If we bring in BYU, they already have their network. Why not the Big 4 (Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas St. and Missouri starting a regional network? Makes sense to me.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM