Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 59,650, Level: 75
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    guitarchitect7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,318
    Points
    59,650
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    NL Central Standings

    Checking up on the Cubs, I took a glance at the current standings in regards to the battle between the Cards and Brewers. What by my surprise did I see, the Cubs moved ahead of Pittsburgh in the standings.

    How does this happen? I'll be the first to admit, the Cubs have been bad all year, so their record is not unexpected. But if I wasn't mistaken, the Pirates were in contention at the All-Star break, making offensive trades to keep that ball rolling. Now, they manage to fall 22.0 games back with more games to come.


    "You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 29,449, Level: 52
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cychhosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. Iowa
    Posts
    1,202
    Points
    29,449
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 51

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Cards are two games out of the wild card w/ 6 games left. Can they do it?


    All truisms are false. All of them.

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 53,725, Level: 71
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Prone2Clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,178
    Points
    53,725
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 37

    Re: NL Central Standings

    First half of the season was the Pirates' Super Bowl.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 269,317, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,316
    Points
    269,317
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 666
    Given: 157

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by cychhosis View Post
    Cards are two games out of the wild card w/ 6 games left. Can they do it?
    Its gonna be tough after they get swept this weekend...



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 24,723, Level: 48
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 827
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kentkel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grinnell
    Posts
    1,101
    Points
    24,723
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 205

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Its gonna be tough after they get swept this weekend...
    I can only hope!


    Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 269,317, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,316
    Points
    269,317
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 666
    Given: 157

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by kentkel View Post
    I can only hope!
    As a Brewers fan, I would think you would be hoping for the exact opposite. I would think you would want the Braves in the Divisional Series.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 178,792, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,264
    Points
    178,792
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 358
    Given: 62

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Its gonna be tough after they get swept this weekend...
    If the Cubs can't get into the playoffs, beating the Cards so they can't get in either is a nice consolation prize.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 24,723, Level: 48
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 827
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kentkel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grinnell
    Posts
    1,101
    Points
    24,723
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 205

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    As a Brewers fan, I would think you would be hoping for the exact opposite. I would think you would want the Braves in the Divisional Series.
    I am hoping that the Cards are swept by the Cubs, so that the Braves will make it to the playoffs instead of the Cards. No disrespect intended to Cards fans (because they have a proven quality club), but I rarely root for them - still upset over the '82 World Series outcome.


    Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 135,593, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Naughtius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    2,609
    Points
    135,593
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by kentkel View Post
    I am hoping that the Cards are swept by the Cubs, so that the Braves will make it to the playoffs instead of the Cards. No disrespect intended to Cards fans (because they have a proven quality club), but I rarely root for them - still upset over the '82 World Series outcome.
    None taken. I'm seeing a lot of promos featuring the '82 Wallbangers. As a Cards fan, I'd like to be the ones to send them home empty handed again.


    "Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 98,902, Level: 97
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tejasclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,822
    Points
    98,902
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 44

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by cychhosis View Post
    Cards are two games out of the wild card w/ 6 games left. Can they do it?
    I'd have felt better about the Cards chances if they hadn't blown a 6-2 lead in the 9th yesterday. They could be 1 game down today and not 2. Cards pretty much need to win every game from here on out to have a chance.

    Cards don't really deserve to win the wildcard after all the saves they blew earlier this year, but I'll still take it if they can pull it off.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 24,723, Level: 48
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 827
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kentkel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grinnell
    Posts
    1,101
    Points
    24,723
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 205

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by tejasclone View Post
    I'd have felt better about the Cards chances if they hadn't blown a 6-2 lead in the 9th yesterday. They could be 1 game down today and not 2. Cards pretty much need to win every game from here on out to have a chance.

    Cards don't really deserve to win the wildcard after all the saves they blew earlier this year, but I'll still take it if they can pull it off.
    Yet, here's the thing. For a while I thought that Atlanta was making a great case for being the 2nd best team in the NL (behind the Phillies and possibly ahead of my Brewers). Lately, they haven't done as well. The Cards have really come on as of late and seem to be one of the most dangerous clubs right now. So do the Cards not really deserve the wildcard because of problems in August, or do the Braves not deserve it because they have been "choking" away their lead the last couple weeks? I will say, it is always great to be on a hot streak at the end of the year and full of confidence going into the playoffs.

    As a Brewers fan, I hope that the Crew doesn't choke away the Central but, instead, puts together a "hot streak" of their own during the remaining games. I've been feeling a little uneasy lately - not as confident as I was earlier in the month with about a 10 game lead.


    Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,519
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by cychhosis View Post
    Cards are two games out of the wild card w/ 6 games left. Can they do it?
    Blowing it last night hurt our chances a great deal -- really ****** me off. Furcal........sheesh!



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,519
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    If the Cubs can't get into the playoffs, beating the Cards so they can't get in either is a nice consolation prize.
    1908. Spoken like a true cubs fan.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 395,965, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,036
    Points
    395,965
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 430
    Given: 305

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by kentkel View Post
    Yet, here's the thing. For a while I thought that Atlanta was making a great case for being the 2nd best team in the NL (behind the Phillies and possibly ahead of my Brewers). Lately, they haven't done as well. The Cards have really come on as of late and seem to be one of the most dangerous clubs right now. So do the Cards not really deserve the wildcard because of problems in August, or do the Braves not deserve it because they have been "choking" away their lead the last couple weeks? I will say, it is always great to be on a hot streak at the end of the year and full of confidence going into the playoffs.

    As a Brewers fan, I hope that the Crew doesn't choke away the Central but, instead, puts together a "hot streak" of their own during the remaining games. I've been feeling a little uneasy lately - not as confident as I was earlier in the month with about a 10 game lead.
    Craig Kimbrel now has 7 blown saves for the braves. That is a problem.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 98,902, Level: 97
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tejasclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,822
    Points
    98,902
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 44

    Re: NL Central Standings

    Quote Originally Posted by kentkel View Post
    Yet, here's the thing. For a while I thought that Atlanta was making a great case for being the 2nd best team in the NL (behind the Phillies and possibly ahead of my Brewers). Lately, they haven't done as well. The Cards have really come on as of late and seem to be one of the most dangerous clubs right now. So do the Cards not really deserve the wildcard because of problems in August, or do the Braves not deserve it because they have been "choking" away their lead the last couple weeks? I will say, it is always great to be on a hot streak at the end of the year and full of confidence going into the playoffs.

    As a Brewers fan, I hope that the Crew doesn't choke away the Central but, instead, puts together a "hot streak" of their own during the remaining games. I've been feeling a little uneasy lately - not as confident as I was earlier in the month with about a 10 game lead.
    The Cards have been very competitive with the Braves and Phillies all year. If the playoffs started today and the Cards were in it, I'd feel OK about their chances going up against anyone. The Cards' inability to put away teams like the Cubs, Pirates, and Astros all year long has been extremely aggravating, given that they dial it up against the better clubs.

    You're right that it's likely better to end the season on a hot streak than on a cold one, but that's not always the case. In 2006, the Cards coasted into the postseason on fumes, winning the division by default by half a game despite losing more than half of their games in September. Then they turned it on when the playoffs started and they won the WS.

    If the Brewers can tap into the magic that won them like 20 straight games in August, they'll be fine.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM