Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 27

Independent networks make Big XII unique

Am I the only one that see's this coming together....ND to the Big XII....

Before you start saying, no way, understand what has been said.

Texas made mention that during the realignment talks they became buddies with Notre Dame and even went so far as to say something about they wouldn't be surprised to see ND in the same league as TX in the future (not sure of the correct wording so I'm not trying to quote what was said exactly here, just give the general idea)

ND could have it's own network, as could BYU. The Big XII has made itself unique in that we allow this type of independent network. I personally think it's a good thing for the conference and would be attractive to any national program.

Maybe some things have to be worked out with all of this HS highlights BS but other than that, I think it's a good thing. Even if we buddied up with MU, KU, and KSU and had a regional network I still think it's a good thing. We have freedom under the guidelines of the Big XII and that is a good thing.

Make the contracts restrictive with regards to leaving, create an equal playing field with tier1/tier2 revenues, but then also be the only conference to have the unique freedom to create individual networks that others do not have.

What kind of contract would you rather sign, one that was completely restrictive (Pac 12, B1G) or one that is restrictive for protective reasons but allowed for freedoms as well (Big XII). I think we have something good schools will want.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Independent networks make Big XII unique

Quote Originally Posted by oldwiseman View Post

Texas made mention that during the realignment talks they became buddies with Notre Dame and even went so far as to say something about they wouldn't be surprised to see ND in the same league as TX in the future (not sure of the correct wording so I'm not trying to quote what was said exactly here, just give the general idea)

ND could have it's own network, as could BYU. The Big XII has made itself unique in that we allow this type of independent network. I personally think it's a good thing for the conference and would be attractive to any national program.

Maybe some things have to be worked out with all of this HS highlights BS but other than that, I think it's a good thing. Even if we buddied up with MU, KU, and KSU and had a regional network I still think it's a good thing. We have freedom under the guidelines of the Big XII and that is a good thing.

Make the contracts restrictive with regards to leaving, create an equal playing field with tier1/tier2 revenues, but then also be the only conference to have the unique freedom to create individual networks that others do not have.

What kind of contract would you rather sign, one that was completely restrictive (Pac 12, B1G) or one that is restrictive for protective reasons but allowed for freedoms as well (Big XII). I think we have something good schools will want.
    Or you could say the big 12 has always been the place to get more of what is yours, that is what Nebraska, Texas, A&M and OU did for years and looks where it has led us...there is a reason we have been trouble and the Big 10, SEC and PAC 12 have not...I read Texas comments as when the Big 10 does their new deal, Texas and ND will be in the big 10

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

ND to Big XII? Can't see it happening. They have good scheduling already, super conferences still not full to 16 teams, so there's still a spot for them. NBC deal goes on a while longer. They're one of the few teams that can be independent and make football program work. Texas? Maybe... BYU...Just look at their football schedule and tell me you'd want those tickets instead of season tickets at the Jack... I think BYU is in. ND? Someday, maybe, but not today...

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by InCytful View Post
    ND to Big XII? Can't see it happening. They have good scheduling already, super conferences still not full to 16 teams, so there's still a spot for them. NBC deal goes on a while longer. They're one of the few teams that can be independent and make football program work. Texas? Maybe... BYU...Just look at their football schedule and tell me you'd want those tickets instead of season tickets at the Jack... I think BYU is in. ND? Someday, maybe, but not today...
    Here is something close to what I read previously but not exactly

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds is a powerful person in the world of intercollegiate athletics. But it remains to be seen whether he is powerful enough to place a cowboy hat on a leprechaun.

Dodds spoke with Texas Longhorns Football: Orangebloods.com - Texas Football, a website focused on Texas athletics, earlier this month, and he made it perfectly clear that he has a desire to bring Notre Dame into the Big 12 if the Fighting Irish ever choose to leave the Big East Conference.

According to Dodds, he spoke with his counterpart at Notre Dame, Jack Swarbrick, this past summer and made his desires to work with Notre Dame clear.

“Notre Dame was worried about getting decimated to where they were sitting without a conference,” Dodds said. “And I told Jack, ‘Come on down.'”

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    Or you could say the big 12 has always been the place to get more of what is yours, that is what Nebraska, Texas, A&M and OU did for years and looks where it has led us...there is a reason we have been trouble and the Big 10, SEC and PAC 12 have not...I read Texas comments as when the Big 10 does their new deal, Texas and ND will be in the big 10
    ND doesn't want to be in the B1G because they gain nothing with regards to recruiting. They said they wanted to go South where populations are growing, not the B1G footprint where populations are shrinking and they are already strong in recruiting without being in the B1G.

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I know most will bash you, but I agree with you. If somehow the Big 12 can hold together for another 5-10 years and everybody gets along, I could totally see a huge team choosing to leave their conference (or independence) for the Big 12. If I'm somebody like Ohio State, and I see the Longhorn network work beautifully for 10 years, I would get jealous of it. I feel like the Big 12 has everything you could want except

-stability (but like I said...5-10 years of no problems can change that)
    -TV sets (but if you're a big fish is 7 or 8 million really make a difference to you if you can print money)

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6

Here is something close to what I read previously but not exactly

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds is a powerful person in the world of intercollegiate athletics. But it remains to be seen whether he is powerful enough to place a cowboy hat on a leprechaun.

Dodds spoke with Texas Longhorns Football: Orangebloods.com - Texas Football, a website focused on Texas athletics, earlier this month, and he made it perfectly clear that he has a desire to bring Notre Dame into the Big 12 if the Fighting Irish ever choose to leave the Big East Conference.

According to Dodds, he spoke with his counterpart at Notre Dame, Jack Swarbrick, this past summer and made his desires to work with Notre Dame clear.

“Notre Dame was worried about getting decimated to where they were sitting without a conference,” Dodds said. “And I told Jack, ‘Come on down.'”
    I could see them coming in for all non-football sports if the Big East implodes. I'd love to see them in, don't get me wrong, but somehow I don't think Dodds can convince them to join with all the BS that's happened in the Big XII the last few weeks. Ball isn't in the Big XII's court right now. As long as B1G and Pac 12 stand pat, and ACC hangs at 14, I think they're good as independent. SEC's 14th member won't change that more than likely.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    I know most will bash you, but I agree with you. If somehow the Big 12 can hold together for another 5-10 years and everybody gets along, I could totally see a huge team choosing to leave their conference (or independence) for the Big 12. If I'm somebody like Ohio State, and I see the Longhorn network work beautifully for 10 years, I would get jealous of it. I feel like the Big 12 has everything you could want except

-stability (but like I said...5-10 years of no problems can change that)
    -TV sets (but if you're a big fish is 7 or 8 million really make a difference to you if you can print money)
    Exactly, if you are a national program, this is the place to be!

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

This is what I tried to argue for a couple weeks ago, but everybody says no way. The Big 12 has 2 waves of instability to survive.

1. Big 10 expansion in the 2014-2015 range when their new Tier 1 deal comes up
    2. Every conference going nuts with shifting when everybody's TV deals come up in the early 2020's.

If the Big 12 shows stability going forward, why wouldn't a Huge school choose to come to a home where they can have their own network. It's a big tool to have to show off your school. And all it takes is 1-2 huge schools to say yes to turn the tides of public perception.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If it comes down to making a great conference, then get rid of Texas. They have been nothing but a thorn in the side of every member of the BIGXII Conference. They could actually care less about what the other institutions are doing or how they are doing.
    The University of Texas is simply a cancer to collegiate athletics!

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

having your own network and getting your own money is the modern day equivalent of unequal revenue sharing, it destroyed the big 12 while other flourished, when the mentality led to Texas getting a huge lead, others realized they didn't want to compete with someone who had the best brand, yet they enabled it to get to that point, Ohio State has a huge brand and you don't see them with an ESPN Network...

3rd tier rights may not sound like a big deal, but when the basis of your conference is "Come Here", you get to keep more of what is yours - then that same mentality will allow them to keep pushing the envelope...what are we going to do? Shut up and take the money available to us, its been happening for 15 years and we damn near got left in the cold for it...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

Only 10-15 schools in the country could pull it off, none of them are leaving the big 10, SEC or coming to the big 12 (ND).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

having your own network and getting your own money is the modern day equivalent of unequal revenue sharing, it destroyed the big 12 while other flourished, when the mentality led to Texas getting a huge lead, others realized they didn't want to compete with someone who had the best brand, yet they enabled it to get to that point, Ohio State has a huge brand and you don't see them with an ESPN Network...

3rd tier rights may not sound like a big deal, but when the basis of your conference is "Come Here", you get to keep more of what is yours - then that same mentality will allow them to keep pushing the envelope...what are we going to do? Shut up and take the money available to us, its been happening for 15 years and we damn near got left in the cold for it...
    +1
    What is better MLB or NFL?

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 25

If I were the Big 12, I'd offer ND and BYU a chance to join in all sports but FB. Then if superconferences happen, they could jump right in. No one would mess with that FB conference.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    +1
    What is better MLB or NFL?
    NFL, and its not close. Texas Yankees and Iowa State Royals, excellent point, and this is exactly where individual networks are headed...