Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Definitely an upset... but just how big?

Fantatic game, and yes... a great upset! Having said that, just how good is Iowa?

First, after they lose to Wisconcin next week I have heard that they will be 15 and 15 in their last 30 games!!! This is a HUGE point. Over about a 3 year period they are a 500 team. Yes, we've been below 500 (and will likely end this year under 500), but we are not pounding our chest talking national championship year over year. Iowa still lives in the glory days of the past. Just look at they way they run their offense... same one as 5 years ago.

Second, for some reason EUI is aways rated much higher prior to the season then they end the season. Even the Huckeys I know admit to that. So, instead of a 17 point favorite, maybe they'd only be a 7-10 pt. favorite???

I'm not taking anything away from our victory. What makes this even greater than the fact that it is an upset is the fact that we are a new team, with a new direction, with a new coach, with a new AD, with new season ticket owners (record season tickets). We are a team at the front edge of our future.

Compare that to Iowa... a 500 team... same coach... same fans... same situation... etc. While we may not be a 500 team this year, who's future looks brighter????

One side bar... I hope our fans keep the spark that last Saturday gave us. If we lose 6 in a row, please remember... we are only a few steps into our future. Last Saturday proved the future is bright.

Iowa on the other hand has peaked... seen their record fall to a 500 level... seen recruiting fall to "average", and now has a future of "average." EUI CONTINUES TO LIVE OFF THEIR PAST... THINKING IT'S THEIR CURRENT SITUATION.

Oh sure, they may even go to a bowl this year, but who's future looks brighter???? Of course we have to "prove it" to validate that our future is bright. We took the 1st step last Saturday... more proof around the corner.

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,420
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Re: Definitely an upset... but just how big?

I think Iowa is in for another mediocre year with anywhere from 6-8 wins, only because the Big Televen is so weak. Those numbers may be pushing it too.

I don't think our fans will have trouble getting up for Texas (especially) and Oklahoma (especially if we play Texas tough). JTS should be rocking for those games no matter what. I even think we'll have great crowds for the other games as well because those would be games that we are more likely to win (compared to others). I hope our crowd can continue to give us a homefield advantage.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 257

They arent good. Probably one notch above us. I know we won, but like Ive said, their D is tough and kept us from TD's. If they get their offense to pick up they should do alright.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

We live in a state where the media consists of EIU homers top to bottom. Everyone knows how delusional a Squawk fan is. Therefore, every year it is beat into the state's brain that Iowa is going to win the National Champsionship. Those of us who don't live in trailers and have an IQ over 50 understand that this isn't going to happen. 95% of of Hawkeye Nation falls into the category of drooling idiots and buy into it. Then, when they lose to us (7 of the last 10 years) there are excuses galore.

Bottom line, Iowa just isn't that good. I know it, you know it, don't even try getting anyone wearing black and gold to buy it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 295

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    They arent good. Probably one notch above us. I know we won, but like Ive said, their D is tough and kept us from TD's. If they get their offense to pick up they should do alright.
    I don't necessarily think it was the "toughness" of the defense that kept us from TDs as much as it was scheme. Iowa threw a zone defense at us, which opened up everything down the middle as they protected themselves from getting torched deep. But as we entered the red zone, that zone can only go so far back, so naturally the middle of the field gets closed up as the defense has nowhere else to go. That's just the next thing we have to work on - being effective in the spread offense when we're in the red zone.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,131
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 39

Guys Iowa still puts 70,000 fans per game in their stadium every year and has an athletic budget much bigger than ours. Your points are well taken and this isn't 1985, but they're hardly going down the drain.

Yes we're heading the right direction and they maybe have hit a platue, but we've got a ways to go yet to match what they've accomplished.

Last edited by Bobber; 09-17-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 961
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 10

I would not call it too much of an upset. Iowa is not that good this year, and it was at home. Wait till Iowa plays a couple of respectable Big ten teams to decided how average they are this year.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Guys Iowa still puts 70,000 fans per game in their stadium every year and has an athletic budget much bigger then ours. Your points are well taken and this isn't 1985, but they're hardly going down the drain.

Yes we're heading the right direction and they maybe have hit a platue, but we've got a ways to go yet to match what they've acomplished.
    Good post. I agree. I think a lot of what Hawk fans buy into, we buy into the exact opposite. Hell, I'm still guilty of it. I didn't think for one second Shaggy was going to make that last FG. Not because it was Shaggy, because he was kicking for ISU. Then on the kickoff, I thought for sure they'd return for a TD. Not because we don't have good Special Team, but, because we are Iowa State. I'm getting better. But, over all it's true. Hawk fans believe they are great and will make excuses on how they got screwed and are still great. ISU fans tend to just say, "We suck" when we blow games. As much as coaching, talent, and money, we need to change our attitude. Let's expect to win and still expect to win next time, even if we do lose. Maybe we don't have to go off the deep end as far as the Hawk nation does, but, it would be nice if we could build that attitude that we deserve a BCS game as much as anyone.

Whatever it is they do, they keep the hype machine going and that's what keeps money coming into that school. That's what we need. We need to ditch the old ISU attitude and bring some grit and toughness in. We deserve to win as much as any other school. This game may not have been as big of an upset as the spread led us to believe, but, make no bones about it. We beat a team highly respected from the Big 10. Not just becuase it was Iowa, but, this game kind of legitimizes this team. It was a team from a power conference, with a pretty good D and we played really well against them and won. Maybe this game did mean more to us then it did them. We needed this victory. And I almost think we needed it to happen the way it did. We can move the ball when we have to. We can have a deep pass completed to save the day and Shaggy can kick a game winner. We are the Cyclones and we can win.

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,131
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 39

I agree Clonefan94. Some of our teams in the past would have gone flat in the second half when Iowa was punching us in the face. This team didn't. Let's hope that bodes well for the future.

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 3

It will be interesting to see how the season plays out for both schools. Right now, I would predict Iowa will finish with a better record. But remember, of ISU's last 6 victories over the Hawks, only once (the upset of 2002) did Iowa finish with a better overall record than Iowa State that season.

Rookie
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    Good post. I agree. I think a lot of what Hawk fans buy into, we buy into the exact opposite. Hell, I'm still guilty of it. I didn't think for one second Shaggy was going to make that last FG. Not because it was Shaggy, because he was kicking for ISU. Then on the kickoff, I thought for sure they'd return for a TD. Not because we don't have good Special Team, but, because we are Iowa State. I'm getting better. But, over all it's true. Hawk fans believe they are great and will make excuses on how they got screwed and are still great. ISU fans tend to just say, "We suck" when we blow games. As much as coaching, talent, and money, we need to change our attitude. Let's expect to win and still expect to win next time, even if we do lose. Maybe we don't have to go off the deep end as far as the Hawk nation does, but, it would be nice if we could build that attitude that we deserve a BCS game as much as anyone.

Whatever it is they do, they keep the hype machine going and that's what keeps money coming into that school. That's what we need. We need to ditch the old ISU attitude and bring some grit and toughness in. We deserve to win as much as any other school. This game may not have been as big of an upset as the spread led us to believe, but, make no bones about it. We beat a team highly respected from the Big 10. Not just becuase it was Iowa, but, this game kind of legitimizes this team. It was a team from a power conference, with a pretty good D and we played really well against them and won. Maybe this game did mean more to us then it did them. We needed this victory. And I almost think we needed it to happen the way it did. We can move the ball when we have to. We can have a deep pass completed to save the day and Shaggy can kick a game winner. We are the Cyclones and we can win.
    This is exactly the attitude that the players on the team historically have had. I was watching the game in Oregon and the expectation of "here we go again" at the start of the second half when Iowa started moving the ball could be felt all the way out here. The team showed great mental toughness and fought thru that!!!! I can't remember when that has ever happened. The culture of Cyclone Football has to change from the ground up; every fan, every player and every coach. I could feel it happen on Saturday. Everyone line up behind Chizik and get ready to be lead to the PROMISED LAND!!!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

I may be the only one, but I think Iowa has a pretty good football team. I think the inexperience in the offensive line and at QB gave them a little trouble against us.

If Iowa fans should take anything away from this game, they should realize that you shouldn't try to read too much into the outcome of one game. Who would have expected ISU to play the way they did after the first two games.

I'm not going to sell this win short. ISU beat a solid team. I predict that Iowa's record at the end of this season will bear that out.

What I'm fired up to find out is if ISU can continue to build on the improvement they've shown over the first three games. I'm still not concerned about how many games this team wins. I just hope to see them continue to get better as the season progresses.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    I may be the only one, but I think Iowa has a pretty good football team. I think the inexperience in the offensive line and at QB gave them a little trouble against us.

If Iowa fans should take anything away from this game, they should realize that you shouldn't try to read too much into the outcome of one game. Who would have expected ISU to play the way they did after the first two games.

I'm not going to sell this win short. ISU beat a solid team. I predict that Iowa's record at the end of this season will bear that out.

What I'm fired up to find out is if ISU can continue to build on the improvement they've shown over the first three games. I'm still not concerned about how many games this team wins. I just hope to see them continue to get better as the season progresses.
    I'll agree, it's a solid team. This wasn't 1AA or a Mac school. On the other hand though, we've beaten much better Iowa teams. I don't think they'll fall flat on their face this year. But, in reality the Big 10 is going to be really tough for them. They'll have to play a lot better than they did against us.