Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 53,460, Level: 71
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Daserop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Bebop
    Posts
    3,594
    Points
    53,460
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 481

    College living isn't like it used to be


  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 62,196, Level: 77
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,054
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cy4prez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,776
    Points
    62,196
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 99

    Re: College living isn't like it used to be

    Well I don't see any of that around here so I would have to disagree with your title.


    KCCO



    Follow me on Twitter: @mjballman20

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 136,209, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Naughtius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    2,645
    Points
    136,209
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 12

    Re: College living isn't like it used to be

    And all I got was this crappy Mason jar.

    Signed,

    Aggie


    "Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 397,834, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24,749
    Points
    397,834
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,703
    Given: 1,244

    Re: College living isn't like it used to be

    I always liked our pool at my coconino apartment. That was pretty pimp in my eyes back then.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 36,516, Level: 58
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    DurangoCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Posts
    2,125
    Points
    36,516
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 430

    Re: College living isn't like it used to be

    Then people wonder why the world is unfair after they've run up 100k in college loans after they've completed their Sociology Degree.

    That is just stupid, those things look nicer than most people's houses.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 20,191, Level: 43
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    crash_zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tiffin, IA
    Posts
    1,647
    Points
    20,191
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 4

    Re: College living isn't like it used to be

    Part of the reason the cost of a degree keeps going up. If students would settle for something less, maybe they wouldn't have so much $$$$ in loans.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 225,878, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MLawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,396
    Points
    225,878
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 780
    Given: 220

    Re: College living isn't like it used to be

    Quote Originally Posted by crash_zone
    Part of the reason the cost of a degree keeps going up. If students would settle for something less, maybe they wouldn't have so much $$$$ in loans.
    Looking back, it probably would have been a smart idea to go to a junior college. However, I have gotten some good opportunities that may or may not have been presented to me if I didn't go that route.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 59,121, Level: 75
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    djcubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    3,089
    Points
    59,121
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 328

    Re: College living isn't like it used to be

    Quote Originally Posted by MLawrence View Post
    Looking back, it probably would have been a smart idea to go to a junior college. However, I have gotten some good opportunities that may or may not have been presented to me if I didn't go that route.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to a 4 yr. school instead of a junior college. My guess is that you didn't pay extra or take out loans to live in a place like is shown in the article.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 444,919, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,288
    Points
    444,919
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 469
    Given: 96

    Re: College living isn't like it used to be

    Quote Originally Posted by DurangoCy View Post
    Then people wonder why the world is unfair after they've run up 100k in college loans after they've completed their Sociology Degree.
    No kidding. I'd personally love to see the government cap borrowing for different programs based on the expected post-graduate salary. It's a little different for a doctor to take on $100,000 in debt vs. someone getting an HDFS degree. Iowa State could even contemplate doing this to help get rid of the highest student debt load in the country. Luckily a buddy of mine is taking on $45,000 in debt to get a degree in communications studies.

    *Note: I'm not immune...took $30,000 in debt for finance/accounting double major. Could I have gotten by cheaper? Absolutely, but I'm comfortable with that amount in student loans and I'm living very comfortably. It's worth it, and I'll be able to pay that off no problem.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 913,786, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    61,211
    Points
    913,786
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,669
    Given: 4,733

    Re: College living isn't like it used to be

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    No kidding. I'd personally love to see the government cap borrowing for different programs based on the expected post-graduate salary. It's a little different for a doctor to take on $100,000 in debt vs. someone getting an HDFS degree. Iowa State could even contemplate doing this to help get rid of the highest student debt load in the country. Luckily a buddy of mine is taking on $45,000 in debt to get a degree in communications studies.

    *Note: I'm not immune...took $30,000 in debt for finance/accounting double major. Could I have gotten by cheaper? Absolutely, but I'm comfortable with that amount in student loans and I'm living very comfortably. It's worth it, and I'll be able to pay that off no problem.
    This hurts to say, but that is not a bad idea. Theoretically, that could help someone really think about their career potential when choosing a major.

    Interesting idea. It's worth pondering while I think of a way to call you an ignorant fool. Give me time.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM