Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Interview with Mac in DSMR

I really don't want to start another Mac thread, but I wish the fans would take the high road like Dan did in the Register story:

McCarney, on outside looking in, praises ISU
    Former ISU head coach, Iowa assistant in odd spot of watching game on TV.

By ANDREW LOGUE
    Register Staff Writer

September 17, 2007

Add comment

Ames, Ia. - Nobody wore a bigger smile on Saturday than Dan McCarney.

For the first time in 13 years, Iowa State's former football coach was absent from the Cy-Hawk showdown. Instead, he was transfixed to his television.

"I watched the whole game," said McCarney, now a defensive line coach for South Florida. "I got off the road (from recruiting), sat in my home and cheered like crazy."

The Cyclones' stunning 15-13 win over Iowa prompted a flurry of phone calls.

"I left some messages for some of the players," McCarney said. "I got to talk to (receiver) Todd Blythe, and just congratulate him.

"I know how proud that game is for him, and how meaningful it is."

Quarterback Bret Meyer traded messages with McCarney. The senior from Atlantic, Ia. is among more than a dozen current Cyclone starters who were recruited to Ames by McCarney.

"Those guys have been with us for so long," McCarney said. "I'm really happy for them and proud of them."

One of the holdovers is kicker Bret Culbertson, whose five field goals accounted for all of Iowa State's points.

Culbertson and McCarney shared the heartache of missed field goals in 2004 and '05 that prevented the Cyclones from advancing to the Big 12 Conference championship game.

"It seems like it's just normal in America; you accentuate the negative more than the positive," McCarney said. "He helped us win a lot of games with his kicks.

"The kicks that were missed ... he took way, way too much of the blame."

McCarney turned to his wife Saturday and made a prophetic comment about the player affectionately known as "Shaggy."

"The second field goal he hit, I said to Margy, 'Wouldn't it be cool if he was the hero of this game?' " McCarney recalled. "It was pretty neat for him."

McCarney had a few words for the former walk-on from Des Moines Lincoln.

"Shaggy still needs to get a haircut," McCarney chuckled. "Tell him I said that."

McCarney also praised the efforts of his successor.

"Obviously, Gene Chizik and his staff did a hell of a good job," he said. "Especially after the setbacks of the first couple weeks, that's a great job out of those players and coaches."

McCarney, meanwhile, felt a little out of sorts. The ex-Hawkeye assistant had participated in 25 of the previous 30 Cy-Hawk meetings.

"Extremely strange," McCarney said of watching the game. "To see Jack Trice Stadium packed, the whole thing ... It was one of the weirdest experiences I've ever had."

DesMoinesRegister.com

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 53

Re: Interview with Mac in DSMR

I heard him on the radio Saturday Morning. Say what you want about him as a coach, but he is a class act. I may not have always wanted him as my football coach, but I'd sit down with him for a beer anyday!

"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you don't want to start another McCarney thread then why did you?

Interesting that we get this article after an ISU win and not after either of the first two games...I wonder why that is...do some people want to give McCarney credit for this win??

I see no reason for getting the "Dan McCarney" angle on this win...I did not want to hear his opinion after the first two losses and I don't want to hear it now.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 26

Classy very Classy.... It's still wierd not seeing him on the sidelines. I sometimes look down wondering where he is. Chizik seems to get lost down there.

I really wish the best for Mac. He gave us his heart for 12 years. He deserves another head coaching spot somewhere. Hopefully, he can sell hope to them like he did for us and bring another program from the ashes.

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90

I really think Mac will go down as one of the beloved coaches in Iowa State history. He brought us from no where to a team expecting bowls. I really think after a few years he may end up being the Johnny Orr of our football team. A guy that didn't quite get us to the goal, but put the pieces in place to make it happen.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post

Interesting that we get this article after an ISU win and not after either of the first two games...I wonder why that is...do some people want to give McCarney credit for this win??

I see no reason for getting the "Dan McCarney" angle on this win...I did not want to hear his opinion after the first two losses and I don't want to hear it now.
    He was Iowa State University for 12 years..... We don't know what could of happened if he wasn't our coach, but I do know that I like where we are now compared to twelve years ago.

Sorry but these are mostly his players, biggest game of the year when he coached, he was happy for them. Obviously the players still love him and want to talk to him about the game because of this.

Not saying he should be compared to Fry, but you still see him associated with Iowa after all these years. Dan should still be associated with us. Heck Walden still is, Earl Bruce came back for the game, should be we hostile to them too?????

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Might be the worst post ever. Get over yourself dude.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

There is some validty to the point. Here is why. I thought it was a neat story about Mac and he was classy.

My problem is with how the Register chooses this as the lead Clone story going forward.

The Hawk article is looking ahead to Wisconsin. Ours is this. Ours should be on to Toledo, the new week, the new Coaches and looking forward.

In my opinion it is a symptom of the coverage. This story should be a mid-week story or side bar.

To me it is a symptom of how we are covered.

Last edited by CyAg; 09-17-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Quote Originally Posted by CyAggie View Post
    To me it is a symptom of how we are covered.
    Which is a DMR problem - not one we can fix.

I enjoyed the article - nice to see Dan was watching and rooting us on. It had to be fun for him to see Shaggy finally make a big kick.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 391

FYI, the Omaha World Herald had a full sport cover page dedicated to the ISU win, and two more full pages as well on the back and one page from the back with story. Those three pages had huge photos of our plays etc. Now tell me which state loves us more. I see this stuff in the world herald all of the time.

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 101

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post

As stated in the article, the reason that is a big deal is that in some way, Mac was a part of 25 of the last 30 meetings between the two teams. I bet there aren't too many people in college football that could say they have been a part of a rivalry like that for that long. Very classy guy and a great article. Now let's go get the Rockets!

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Agreed, we do nto have control, however, it is one we can direct comments on to at least give feedback.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,976
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 57

I have no problem with the article. Mac always was a top notch guy and I don't have any problem with them talking to him. He was a fixture here. And if nothing else, he's the one that broke the streak of us losing to Iowa. He actually made it a rivalry again. His kids are playing a game that was a big deal to him. It was a fitting article. It probably shouldn't have been a lead article for us, but, then again I question weather or not the register should really be considered a newspaper. So, nothing from them surprises me.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Marty and Miller had him on their show Thursday and he was on the recruiting road in Kansas. Couldn't have been any classier of an interview and the word "phenomenal" even came out when he described the staff GC put together. They asked him where he'd be watching the game and he says "I'll be home in Florida in my recliner watching the game and having a few cold ones." Dan didn't have anything bad to say and praised GC's staff more than once. They asked him if he hoped to be a head coach again some day and he answered yes but also said that is up to the Lord because everything happens for a reason and if all that was meant for him is to be an assistant now he's perfectly happy where he is at right now and can accept it if that is what God's plan for him is.

Was a terrific interview, I had a smile on my face listening as Dan is still a very passionate guy and will always be a Cyclone for life.

Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I agree coach Mac is a great guy loved reading story and listened to him too .Heck I even emailed him on his big win last week and he emailed right back wished us a great season too!