Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Preliminary Look at Texas v. ISU

We knew that Texas would have a strong defense heading into the season; it was the offense that had question marks. After scoring 49 points against UCLA in LA, it appears that many of those questions have been answered. In particular, Longhorn Nation believes they have found a QB - Case McCoy - who can get the lead them back to the promised land.

However, I'm not so sure that the Clones won't ruffle Case's feathers when we meet. Case is young and the UCLA game was his first start. Almost all of his completions were short passes (the long one for a TD should have been intercepted, but the pass bounced off the DB and into the arms of a receiver, who then ran it in). Also, Case had a strong running game against the hapless Bruin stop troops to take the pressure off when he did go to the air.

Finally, the laid back UCLA fans didn't make the noise that the jacked-up Clone fans will make in the Jack.

Still, for ISU to have a chance to win, they will absolutely need to cut down on turnovers and penalties (duh).

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Re: Preliminary Look at Texas v. ISU

I watched most of the game and I agree. Texas played better football than I expected. It is going to be a very physical match up for us. Their defense looked much improved from a year ago. They have some great team speed. Their offense is going to be the question mark and I expect them to come to play since we beat them on their home turf last year (Although I believe they play Oklahoma after us, they won't overlook us). If we can move the ball like we did a year ago and the defense keeps playing fast and physical I think we can win this game. I know the confidence factor from last year and being able to move the ball on them will be something for our players to build on.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I have mixed feelings about Texas. Although I do think they are better than last year, I don't know how much better. The 3 schools Texas has played are 3-5 so far this season. Rice did have a nice win over Purdue, but Purdue isn't much. BYU lost 54-10 to Utah last week. Last year BYU lost 17-16 to a much better Utah team. Texas struggled against BYU earlier in the year. UCLA lost to Houston earlier this year. Houston is reviving votes, but barely got by Louisiana Tech last week.

I know it is tough to compare team records and who played who, but I'm not really impressed that Texas has played anyone even remotely good.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,104
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think this will be a great match-up for us, but I have concerns about being able to run the ball and sustaining drives against the Texas D. Hopefully KO, Hicks and the rest of the line will be healed up and ready to get after it.

We'll also need another big game from Jantz and the receiving corps.

All hands on deck!!

- Im not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 149

It's obvious that Mac Brown will start the game off with intense defensive pressure. After watch the UConn game, they saw how rattled Jantz is starting the game. If we allow them to capitalize on 2 easy early scores, we could be in trouble. But I believe when our offense warms up, we have not problem moving the ball. Let's just hope our defense continues to impress and stays fresh through the 4th.
    And another thing, no one is giving UConn's defense the respect it deserves. They have a great defense so that was a good test imo.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Texas' defense may be more aggressive than UConn's and has the speed to make up for any mistakes. If they pressure early I hope Herman has a gameplan in place that exploits it with screens and draws. No reason to be throwing deep to start the game unless they're in bump and run with no help over the top. Even then I doubt Jantz will have the time to throw.

Texas' offense will run into issues but ISU won last year by exploiting the laziness of Texas' defense. Don't think that will happen again this year.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 425

If we have two OL men that are being touted for the NFL, and KO's ankle improves a lot with this bye week, why wouldn't Jantz have time to throw? But I think ISU should see if they can establish the run first before passing a lot.

"Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

Addict
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 386
    Given: 5

The thing that concerns me is that this is the exact type of "let down" game we have had in the past. We have some momentum, have won a few games in a row, face a traditionally strong program and get killed. Think Utah, or Okie State a few years back, or TAMU a few years before that.

Hopefully this is not the case this year, especially with the resiliency this team has shown. Trying not to get my hopes up though.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    If we have two OL men that are being touted for the NFL, and KO's ankle improves a lot with this bye week, why wouldn't Jantz have time to throw? But I think ISU should see if they can establish the run first before passing a lot.
    Simple numbers. If they rush 6 or 7 and we have 5 blocking... someone will get through.

Now in typical situations where you rush 4 I have no doubt Jantz will have time.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 649
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 37

I think the atmosphere will be a little different in Jack Trice than he faced in Sunny LA. Give us 10 hours to tailgate before the game, we will be jacked up - plus the new sound system, McCoy will be rattled.

If ISU is healthy going into this game, they will give the Horns all they can handle. Too Bad Gilbert is not playing.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    Texas' defense may be more aggressive than UConn's and has the speed to make up for any mistakes. If they pressure early I hope Herman has a gameplan in place that exploits it with screens and draws. No reason to be throwing deep to start the game unless they're in bump and run with no help over the top. Even then I doubt Jantz will have the time to throw.

Texas' offense will run into issues but ISU won last year by exploiting the laziness of Texas' defense. Don't think that will happen again this year.
    Hoping to see some more of the screen game against Texas. Could be a game changer.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

I do not see us having a letdown game after having a bye, mending, planning, selling out the jack. No way. We just need to get a good start coming out of the chute and the crowd will do wonders. Maybe we will blitz more.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 953
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    The thing that concerns me is that this is the exact type of "let down" game we have had in the past. We have some momentum, have won a few games in a row, face a traditionally strong program and get killed. Think Utah, or Okie State a few years back, or TAMU a few years before that.

Hopefully this is not the case this year, especially with the resiliency this team has shown. Trying not to get my hopes up though.
    everyone said that before last week too. people will say that every time we win.

edit: or hell, even after we lose! (nebraska game last year)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The short passes scare me more than the big play. If we let Case tear us up all day long on short passes, it could be a long day. It all lays on if our run stopping D is playing well. This game could get really ugly, or it can be a very very good game.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 14

We HAVE to start getting more pressure on the quarterback. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion we're going to turn it over. The defense needs to be able to get the ball back and give the offense a short field occasionally. Giving quarterbacks all week to throw isn't going to force any kind of decision making.