Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 9

The thing that really gets me...

I will state right away, I do no think ISu will go to the B1G ever. Thats not my point. My point is, the only people I ever hear shooting ISU down with a chance to the B1G is Iowa fans. I have yet to hear (this being being myself only) any other B1G school saying anything bad about ISU. Like I said, I have no expectations of a B1g invite but why the "old yeller" treatment from UofI. Really....Do they want us to die and be sunbelt? As much as i hate UofI, I would never wish them to fall off the map. I am just ranting and with all the other posts, ranting and everything else going on, I know the "THE THREAD" will carry on with our fate. I just really cant stand the "Down with ISU" mentality from UofI fans. Maybe we wont be "worthy" of your conference, but to hope for ISU's demise......really?

*Rest in peace corn dog chick

"what you dont know is that treehouse masters is just mansions for WVU fans"

CF Fantasy Football Champ 2013

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: The thing that really gets me...

Part of it is the hatred that comes from having an in-state rivalry (pure spite). Of all the victories and defeats that can occur in athletics, academics, what have you... seeing your instate rival reduced to relative athletic irrelevancy certainly lends a morbid sense of accomplishment (for a complete lack of a better term). Part of it is out of the belief (however justified or misguided it may be) that ISU's decline will mean more success for Iowa.

Is there part of me that is getting a small sense of smug satisfaction seeing B1G haters more or less clamoring to get into the same conference they ridicule? Sure, a very small part. I should note that I'm not originally from the state, so it isn't as much as it is ISU-Iowa, as it is ISU views on the Big Ten. But at the same time, this whole scenario is just flat-out depressing, as it has nothing to do with football, or academics...it's all about greed. If super-conferences do come, and if they fail, then what? The Big Ten has stayed together (more or less) for over a hundred years now. But what happens if a 16 conference doesn't work? Does the B1G break up into two 8 team conferences? Or does it go back to 10-12 teams? If so, who get's left out? Northwestern? Minnesota? Iowa?

I'm under no illusion that if push came to shove, Iowa could be the one getting left behind. We may have a large following/fan base, but it's nowhere near what others in the conference pull (let alone other teams across the country).

Last edited by edr247; 09-21-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Prospect
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up

I wonder if part of U of I fan base is people like me, who gets the big 10 network but cares nothing for it, because Dish network throws it in as a package deal.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,166
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 161

Being in an important conference does not make you important...and I think that is something that ISU and the Iowa both deal with. Iowa fans are just having trouble accepting it due to the B1G "making more money" than other conferences so they think somehow that makes them better, just like my douchey neighbor.

I think the funniest thing would be for the B1G to go to an unequal revenue sharing program.

Walk On
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

It truly says that there is something very different about Iowa fans.

In a rivalry, you may not like each other, but there's a level of mutual respect and recognition of what the rivalry does for your school. Plus, I think most objective people understand how important it is to have two BCS schools in Iowa.

Throughout all the realignment talk, U of I never would have helped ISU. In fact, reports from the BOR meetings made it appear as if the U of I grads on that Board were working against us.

If the situation had been reversed, I have no doubt that ISU and its fans would have been sympathetic to U of I and would have even tried to help.

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 579
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

What gets me with the situation:
    1. uofi fans that claim the Big 10 is more than just an athletic conference; it is about research and the quality of the Universities. By every measure I have seen, ISU fits the Big 10 academic profile. However, ISU gets no consideration. THEN The Big 10 invites NU in and proceed to kick them out of the AAU. Apparently it is just about the athletics.

2. ufoi fans that think that since ISU hasn't been invited they aren't good enough. They won't admit that it is all about the TV revenue; becauseThe Big 10 already gets max subscription fees for the entire state, ISU doesn't add much. By most measures (other than TV subsciptions) ISU would be very competitive with most Big 10 schools, especially if you look beyond historical football success.

Believing in Kermuflin since 2009!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 407

Quote Originally Posted by edr247 View Post
    Part of it is the hatred that comes from having an in-state rivalry (pure spite). Of all the victories and defeats that can occur in athletics, academics, what have you... seeing your instate rival reduced to relative athletic irrelevancy certainly lends a morbid sense of accomplishment (for a complete lack of a better term). Part of it is out of the belief (however justified or misguided it may be) that ISU's decline will mean more success for Iowa.

Is there part of me that is getting a small sense of smug satisfaction seeing B1G haters more or less clamoring to get into the same conference they ridicule? Sure, a very small part. I should note that I'm not originally from the state, so it isn't as much as it is ISU-Iowa, as it is ISU views on the Big Ten. But at the same time, this whole scenario is just flat-out depressing, as it has nothing to do with football, or academics...it's all about greed. If super-conferences do come, and if they fail, then what? The Big Ten has stayed together (more or less) for over a hundred years now. But what happens if a 16 conference doesn't work? Does the B1G break up into two 8 team conferences? Or does it go back to 10-12 teams? If so, who get's left out? Northwestern? Minnesota? Iowa?

I'm under no illusion that if push came to shove, Iowa could be the one getting left behind. We may have a large following/fan base, but it's nowhere near what others in the conference pull (let alone other teams across the country).
    Just because ISU fans can see the reality that the Big Ten is much easier than the Big 12 doesn't mean we would hate to be members. It's a stable, profitable and respectable conference. It just sucks at football compared to the Big 12 and SEC.

You have two ranked teams on your conference schedule. Iowa State has FIVE not including @Missouri. I'm not sure if ISU has ever played a Big 12 season and faced just two ranked opponents, even during the years the North was way down.

The Big Ten offers more money, closer travel, easier football wins, and the illusion that those wins are of equal quality as the conference wins we get now. In basketball there really wouldn't be a significant difference, wrestling would be a perfect fit for ISU and the Big Ten.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by SNEDDS3 View Post
    I will state right away, I do no think ISu will go to the B1G ever. Thats not my point. My point is, the only people I ever hear shooting ISU down with a chance to the B1G is Iowa fans. I have yet to hear (this being being myself only) any other B1G school saying anything bad about ISU. Like I said, I have no expectations of a B1g invite but why the "old yeller" treatment from UofI. Really....Do they want us to die and be sunbelt? As much as i hate UofI, I would never wish them to fall off the map. I am just ranting and with all the other posts, ranting and everything else going on, I know the "THE THREAD" will carry on with our fate. I just really cant stand the "Down with ISU" mentality from UofI fans. Maybe we wont be "worthy" of your conference, but to hope for ISU's demise......really?
    take it with a grain of salt...........90% of the ******* Iowa fans out there never graduated from EIU. Most of them have a H.S. degree and work for $8/hr, but "bleed black and gold." Majority of Hawk fans should be living in the south, the ones that are educated and can see things clearly think it would be great to have ISU in the B1G.

The jackas$'s biggest fear is that ISU gets into the B1G and then when ISU beats them the "superbowl" comment doesn't work anymore.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

We will never go to the Big 10, and won't want to when the "new" Big 12 deal is complete.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

Quote Originally Posted by SNEDDS3 View Post
    Here is a different angle.

Simply put . . . the culture and media of this state have created this monster. They have babied this particular school for more than 50 years. When you have Zabel, Mouth of the Midwest, Gus Schrader (CR Gazette), Tate Cummins (WMT), Ron Gonder, the host of idiots on WHO, Millers (pick a first name), Keeler, Witosky, Logue, Peterson, ET AL . . . they LIVE and BREATH Hawkdom. They are the KEEPERS of the Gate . . .how else might you explain WHY Giggles took the slant he did when he arrived at KXNO. I mean . . this 33 yr old punk IMMEDIATELY took to disrespecting ISU . . a punk from the East Coast. The "massive" amount of fan support for Iowa is BANDWAGON only. IF ISU starts beating Iowa in football more times than not . . . ISU can turn some of these fans our way. BUT the Keepers of the Holy Grail (media) will fight it all the way. This is a strange, weird, cultural bias found ONLY in this state.

The people of this particular state are unable to support two programs or three . . . I think it has to do with the fact, Iowa has NO professional sports . . therefore, Iowa has become the surrogate professional sports team in the state.

Again, the local MEDIA plays this to the hilt . . .hence, people become die hard hawksters because it is believed to be the only GIG in town. Or being translated . . .eliminating ISU just makes it easier to focus on hawk greatness (in their own minds).

Just think MEDIA and Cultural bias . . and you will have the primary reason why ISU plays second fiddle. The U of I will do whatever it can to torpedo ISU efforts to become a member of the Big 10/11/12. So will the BOR . . because in their collective minds . . ISU must not be allowed to be equal with Iowa.

Solution: Beat Iowa more times than not for the next 20 years.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Madclone1 View Post
    Here is a different angle.

Simply put . . . the culture and media of this state have created this monster. They have babied this particular school for more than 50 years. When you have Zabel, Mouth of the Midwest, Gus Schrader (CR Gazette), Tate Cummins (WMT), Ron Gonder, the host of idiots on WHO, Millers (pick a first name), Keeler, Witosky, Logue, Peterson, ET AL . . . they LIVE and BREATH Hawkdom. They are the KEEPERS of the Gate . . .how else might you explain WHY Giggles took the slant he did when he arrived at KXNO. I mean . . this 33 yr old punk IMMEDIATELY took to disrespecting ISU . . a punk from the East Coast. The "massive" amount of fan support for Iowa is BANDWAGON only. IF ISU starts beating Iowa in football more times than not . . . ISU can turn some of these fans our way. BUT the Keepers of the Holy Grail (media) will fight it all the way. This is a strange, weird, cultural bias found ONLY in this state.

The people of this particular state are unable to support two programs or three . . . I think it has to do with the fact, Iowa has NO professional sports . . therefore, Iowa has become the surrogate professional sports team in the state.

Again, the local MEDIA plays this to the hilt . . .hence, people become die hard hawksters because it is believed to be the only GIG in town. Or being translated . . .eliminating ISU just makes it easier to focus on hawk greatness (in their own minds).

Just think MEDIA and Cultural bias . . and you will have the primary reason why ISU plays second fiddle. The U of I will do whatever it can to torpedo ISU efforts to become a member of the Big 10/11/12. So will the BOR . . because in their collective minds . . ISU must not be allowed to be equal with Iowa.

Solution: Beat Iowa more times than not for the next 20 years.
    Agree w/pretty much everything. At the time of UofI's rise to prominence in football, college sports was becoming a more widely popular entity & as media was grasping this novelty (at the time), the local/state media hitched it's wagon to the horse that was winning at the time (Iowa).

Seeing how Iowa also offered law & medicine graduate programs, the opportunity for prominent graduates to involve themselves in the public eye (BofR) heightened. Engineers, scientists & ag majors don't normally go for positions like that, thus the BofR gained an advantage in decision-making for the state universities. There was even a push for UofI to gain the Engineering college rather than keeping it at State. Brandstad had a pretty good hand in attempting to dismantle good things in Ames.

So, yeah, basically, the media threw all Iowa/all the time in face of it's citizens & did what it could, along w/the BofR to make State seem less attractive at every turn.

It disgusts me that Iowans in general, who are known for their normally sound decision-making, receptive & compassionate attitudes as well as a pride in all things Iowa would get roped into the mystique of the UofI athletic prowess by the media.

My father (a Drake grad) & one of his best friends, who walked on to the ISU football team, have been UofI season ticket holders for nearly 30 years, they are both smart, sensible men who decided they needed a 'real team' to support & at the time, it became very easy for that team to be the UofI.

Not sure where this stream of consciousness was originally intended to go but, yes, I have to agree this monster has been created & unfortunately, it's easier to support a 'winner,' when that's what's being thrust in your direction by most all media outlets in the state & the folks making decision w/the 'best interests' of the citizens in mind have ulterior motives & hidden agendas.

GO STATE....it's very easy to be a Hawkeye (born or spoon fed it too you) but to truly be a CYCLONE is never easy, it's a whole other beast & I, for one, am glad I chose STATE - the roller-coaster rides are frustratingly invigorating!

Last edited by skibumspe; 09-21-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    We will never go to the Big 10, and won't want to when the "new" Big 12 deal is complete.
    boy oh boy you are throwing some big things out there, i couldnt imagine under any circumstance where we wouldnt want in the Big 10

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 35

+1 to both of the previous posts. Exactly right.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 260

I have BTN on my cox package. The last time I watched it was in Dec 2010.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,387
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 56

The reason that Iowa fans don't want ISU in the B1G is simple. Iowa fans are insecure with what they have, so they have to make it try to look much better than what it is, and if ISU would ever have something comparable, it would send them right over the edge.

Being in the B1G is there way of saying "we are still better than you."

Iowa is like the ugly sister who happens to be a Junior in high school and is asked to the prom, and then throws a fit when the prettier, younger sister is also asked to the prom by an upper class man.