Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 304

Big Ten Expansion

Hey guys. This is a piece that ran in today's (well, technically yesterday's) Daily Iowan regarding Big Ten expansion. I argued that the Big Ten should consider further expansion right now. I don't actually think that, but it's never a bad thing to understand the other side of the argument.

Point/counterpoint: Should the Big Ten become a super conference? - The Daily Iowan

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

Re: Big Ten Expansion

Barta told the Regants today the Big 10 isnt looking to expand.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 3

Powers would probably support a move to the B10 because of the academic benefit. But I'm not sure Dodds and the rest of the AD along with coaches would like the move simply because of the long travel times, strain on travel budgets, and effects on student athletes.

I don't think ND will ever join the B10, only because their boosters are too arrogant. Eventually ND will end up in a conference that is a less than perfect scenario for them, and the same boosters who were trying to prevent them from getting into a good situation early, will ***** and moan and have the AD/president fired for not having enough foresight.

If the B10 can't land one of the three(Mizzou, ND, or Texas) there is no reason for them to expand at all.

Just my opinion.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 8

Both UT and Notre Dame are still available for B1G expansion. I'd love to see ISU playing some of those teams yearly as a member, but I'm a realist and don't think that is happening any time soon. I don't think B1G should expand unless the situation dictates it. Notre Dame isn't coming unless SEC, Pac 12 and ACC all go 16 and B1G looks the same way. You don't want UT in the B1G, as they don't fit into the culture there.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Barta told the Regants today the Big 10 isnt looking to expand.
    That can easily change at a moment's notice in the current climate. And like I said, I don't want the Big Ten to expand, and don't actually think they should. But I went ahead and argued for it anyway for a good experience.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by digZ View Post
    Powers would probably support a move to the B10 because of the academic benefit. But I'm not sure Dodds and the rest of the AD along with coaches would like the move simply because of the long travel times, strain on travel budgets, and effects on student athletes.

I don't think ND will ever join the B10, only because their boosters are too arrogant. Eventually ND will end up in a conference that is a less than perfect scenario for them, and the same boosters who were trying to prevent them from getting into a good situation early, will ***** and moan and have the AD/president fired for not having enough foresight.

If the B10 can't land one of the three(Mizzou, ND, or Texas) there is no reason for them to expand at all.

Just my opinion.
    The stuff I was reading last year about Notre Dame's boosters was that the OLDER boosters are the arrogant ones that can't get out of the past, but the younger generation can see the writing on the wall. Currently, the older generation still holds the edge in numbers, but obviously that isn't going to last forever.

So unless ND joins the ACC, I wouldn't rule out joining the Big Ten at some point.