Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 667
    Given: 183

First quarter awards

Some non-realignment content for you all to read. Enjoy.

Chris Williams' Blog on Iowa State Football: First quarter awards | Cyclone Fanatic

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,154
    Given: 601

Re: First quarter awards

I agree with your choice of Josh Lenz. He's really been consistently good in all aspects. The receiving corp as a whole has been radically improved, from their ability to get separation and their blocking to their ability to catch the tough pass.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Some non-realignment content for you all to read. Enjoy.

Chris Williams' Blog on Iowa State Football: First quarter awards | Cyclone Fanatic
    I think Kirby Van Der Kamp should be mentioned in almost the same breath as Lentz, especially the importance of the field position both have given us.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162

Coach of the Year: If you take field goal kicking out of the mix, its hard to argue against the job that Courtney Messingham has done with Iowa State’s wide receivers and special teams units.
    Yes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 216
    Given: 513

I think SJ should get props for averaging 4.9 yds/carry also.

"Just remember, what you choose to do with each day is very important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it" -ET

"I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff in my life, but there is a definite learning curve." -CE

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 19

Jantz gets my MVP. We had no idea what we would get from him and he has by far exceeded the expectations overall. His INTs are bad and he needs to figure these out but without him I think we are 0-3.

I have been pleasantly surprised by pretty much the entire team at this point. Our O-line has performed well enough since the UNI game, the WR position is way better than almost anyone predicted and White and ShonJon are both playing well.

Defensively I like what we have seen. We dont look like world beaters by any means but we have enough talent to be competitive. The interior of the line is exceeding expectations. I would still like to see more pressure from the DE position. LB is by far the best group, Matt T has exceeded expectations and the other two have lived up to the hype that we have all been giving them. The most impressive position group to me is the DB's, this was a concern early in the year but to this point they have performed pretty well. My only concern is the size disadvantage against some of the bigger WR groups in the B12.

Special teams has been great in KO return and coverage as well as Kirby doing very well in Punts and Lenz contiuing to perform in PR. FG kicking is still bad but I think we all knew that going into this year we wouldnt be much better than we were last year. At least Guyer has hit all of his XP's so far (knock on wood).

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Speechless
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 805
    Given: 1,669

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    Jantz gets my MVP. We had no idea what we would get from him and he has by far exceeded the expectations overall. His INTs are bad and he needs to figure these out but without him I think we are 0-3.

I have been pleasantly surprised by pretty much the entire team at this point. Our O-line has performed well enough since the UNI game, the WR position is way better than almost anyone predicted and White and ShonJon are both playing well.

Defensively I like what we have seen. We dont look like world beaters by any means but we have enough talent to be competitive. The interior of the line is exceeding expectations. I would still like to see more pressure from the DE position. LB is by far the best group, Matt T has exceeded expectations and the other two have lived up to the hype that we have all been giving them. The most impressive position group to me is the DB's, this was a concern early in the year but to this point they have performed pretty well. My only concern is the size disadvantage against some of the bigger WR groups in the B12.

Special teams has been great in KO return and coverage as well as Kirby doing very well in Punts and Lenz contiuing to perform in PR. FG kicking is still bad but I think we all knew that going into this year we wouldnt be much better than we were last year. At least Guyer has hit all of his XP's so far (knock on wood).

I agree that Jantz deserves a lot of credit. He is making throws so far this season that I have not seen in the past few years and is a big reason that the WRs look better than last year. As far as INTs go, against UNI he was running for his life, in his first game at ISU, and obviously pressing. He pulled it together and won the game. Against Iowa, he was near perfect. At UCONN, at least on of the INTs wasn't his fault, the TE basically handed them the ball, and from what I recall, the recievers were practically getting mugged all game. He still delivered the ball in the clutch and let Money be $$$.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    I agree that Jantz deserves a lot of credit. He is making throws so far this season that I have not seen in the past few years and is a big reason that the WRs look better than last year. As far as INTs go, against UNI he was running for his life, in his first game at ISU, and obviously pressing. He pulled it together and won the game. Against Iowa, he was near perfect. At UCONN, at least on of the INTs wasn't his fault, the TE basically handed them the ball, and from what I recall, the recievers were practically getting mugged all game. He still delivered the ball in the clutch and let Money be $$$.
    No way on Jantz. He is MVP of the Iowa game, by far. But if he doesn't put us in holes with the early turnovers, we don't need the heroics at the end of the game. All three INT against UCONN were bad reads/forced throws. He threw into double coverage on the TE. There had to be a better option open.

Addict
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 334

I think you missed on this one CW. steele is the easily the mvp. we might be 2-1 or 1-2 without lenz but I think we are 0-3 without steele.

that being said isn't it a great statement for your team when you can make an argument for 2-3 players being the team mvp so far.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    No way on Jantz. He is MVP of the Iowa game, by far. But if he doesn't put us in holes with the early turnovers, we don't need the heroics at the end of the game. All three INT against UCONN were bad reads/forced throws. He threw into double coverage on the TE. There had to be a better option open.
    Yeah, I haven't had a chance to rewatch UCONN yet, so I'll take your word on it.

Personally I give the defense the MVP for the UCONN game. Once we started forcing them to drive the whole field, they didn't score much and the early turnovers could have led to much more than 10 points for UCONN.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    I think you missed on this one CW. steele is the easily the mvp. we might be 2-1 or 1-2 without lenz but I think we are 0-3 without steele.

that being said isn't it a great statement for your team when you can make an argument for 2-3 players being the team mvp so far.
    Did we even have a "MVP" at this point last year? We were 1-2 at this point. I guess A-Rob was good against NIU and KSU (before he got hurt).

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post

I agree that he has made some bad decisions, no question. My opinion is anyone else on our roster starts against UNI we lose that game. His mobility allowed us to stay in the game because our Oline was awful. I agree on the Iowa game, MVP by far. The UCONN game was his worst because I think he had some time and made a few bad throws. Yes he threw into double coverage but the TE had it and couldnt secure the ball, questionable throw but 50% of that goes on the TE.

I just think that we lose at least 2 if not three of those games if we have a different QB.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register