Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Time for Texas/Notre Dame/FSU/BYU Superconference (long)

I generally don't post a new thread, but with all the realignment threads I felt this idea that had been hinted at by DeLoss Dodds a month ago needs reviewed in light of the recent changes.

For the first time, I see ND sending out a media "floater" that it may have to give up its independent status and is basically telling the B1G it doesn't want to share equally. We all know Texas doesn't want to share equally and BYU wants to keep its own network. FSU did put together a realignment committee and the reality of ACC expansion is that the schools they are adding contribute very little to FB other than Pitt if the rumors of UConn and Rutgers come to fruition. In other words, the ACC places basketball first - FSU does not. If I were Texas and Notre Dame, the time is now to put together the conference they want so that it maximizes revenue, keeps AQ status so they can't get forced into an equal revenue sharing conference, and use the times to pick a conference and maintain a brand such as the Big XII that has guaranteed contracts. Right now, they don't have much bargaining power against conferences that want to equally split the pie that Texas and Notre Dame can enjoy all by themselves right now.

I think the schools could also include Arkansas as if the Mizzou rumor to SEC becomes true, Arkansas is really getting squeezed out of any prior recruiting advantage it held in the St. Louis and Texas markets in the SEC. Getting back to the Arkansas/Texas rivalry may also be appealing to Texas if OU leaves.

Starting with those 5 schools (Texas, Notre Dame, BYU, FSU, Arkansas), the conference then can add ISU, KU, KSU, TTU and Baylor from the Big XII to be able to keep the conference and then add Louisville and USF from the Big East (if Arkansas leaves the SEC could then add W.Virginia). This conference would allow for a better recruiting foothold for ND in Florida and Texas and could be set up as follows:

North Division: Notre Dame, BYU, Florida State, ISU, KSU, KU
    South Division: Texas, Arkansas, Louisville, Texas Tech, Baylor and USF.

(Switching Florida State and Louisville also makes sense, but I figure ND will like the prospect of having FSU on its schedule each year as it guarantees a big made for TV game that brings back the memories of beating FSU with National Championship possibilities on the line)

For scheduling, each team gets 1 rival game from the opposite side that they will always play. A good scenario would have the rivals as Tex/BYU; ND/Ark; FSU/USF; ISU/Baylor (the litigation threat bowl); KU/Louisville; KSU/TTU.

This would also allow ND to maintain a non-conference schedule that includes Michigan and USC and Navy whereby even if they lost 2 games, they could still qualify for a BCS bowl by winning the Big XII championship.

As with the Pac 12 idea, I would also suggest that the championship game be played at the home stadium of the team that wins the regular season. Again, additional possible revenue stream for enticing ND, Tex, Ark, FSU, and BYU to this idea.

Finally, Tier I and II money (with the exception of Notre Dame's NBC contract) get split evenly and each gets to keep their Tier III money as was agreed upon last year. To entice Texas and BYU even more, agree that their games against one another will be allowed to be aired on LHN or BYU's network every year depending on who the home team is. Since Notre Dame's NBC contract and the Big XII ESPN contract both expire after the 2015 FB season, the renewal package can be negotiated to allow for additional conference dollars to be split equally regarding Notre Dame's visitor's share for home conference games for Tier I (Right now, the money for their home games gets split between ND and whoever they are playing -if it is a conference game, you merely take the visitor's share and put that into the overall conference pool and split it exclusive of ND since they are keeping the home team revenue). Based on where the market is going, I would estimate Tier I deal with this conference would approach $150-200mil (or more) to go along with the current $90mil for Tier II which should have a step-up clause for expansion.

In the end, we end up in much better financial shape than any other alternative currently suggested and we continue to have great teams coming to play ISU in all sports. Also, I think all teams in the conference benefit financially. It goes without saying the Big XII and Big East teams would. The current ACC tv deal is for $155 million/year for all sports and all tiers so FSU is currently locked into a deal for approximately $13mil - that deal still has 11 years left after this year. Arkansas would be the only question mark but I believe we could add the incentive to match what the SEC pays out if the new tv deals don't make that happen already.

Time for Dodds to make the call(s) and make the ultimate powerplay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 24

Re: Time for Texas/Notre Dame/FSU/BYU Superconference (long)

Where's that facepalm when I need it?

Recruit
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 20

Why are people so quick to facepalm? I know it's the internet and I shouldn't expect higher standards. Is scoffing at new threads somehow lending credibility and intelligence to your own virtual voice of the internet?

With that said, nice original post. Of the pages of realignment threads already in existence, I like the unique play this proposal makes, although I see no benefit to ISU. Throw in Cincy and WV and I think you have a pretty cool looking conference that covers most major markets and allowing major players to keep their ridiculous amounts of revenue - even looks pretty good for basketball.

Like we all know, it's about money and television sets. Why is everyone so caught up on equal revenue sharing? Let the cream rise to the top. If Texas and Notre Dame bring in the most viewers, let them take their cut. Don't be jealous of their cut, just get angry and step up your own game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 339

merge

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 235
    Given: 903

Put this in the main thread, and superconferences are stupid. How can some people not realize this is beyond me.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Sorry it is being used in another thread. It has been rented out quite a bit lately.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Recruit
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 309
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 20

@CyDude, what is negatively "super" about this conference idea? It is 12 teams. Last I checked, ISU is in the Big "12". While we're at it though, lets get everyone in this new conference their own network. CyTV? Featuring JP's Variety Hour and Sunday Morning Inspirational Hour w/ Coach Rhoads? Football on the weekends? This is a money-making goldmine.

Btw, this is a discussion board, correct? It's not a news source. Let the threads flow.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by GetAwesome View Post
    @CyDude, what is negatively "super" about this conference idea? It is 12 teams. Last I checked, ISU is in the Big "12". While we're at it though, lets get everyone in this new conference their own network. CyTV? Featuring JP's Variety Hour and Sunday Morning Inspirational Hour w/ Coach Rhoads? Football on the weekends? This is a money-making goldmine.

Btw, this is a discussion board, correct? It's not a news source. Let the threads flow.
    This post makes my head hurt.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 903

Quote Originally Posted by GetAwesome View Post

And we have plenty of threads, why add another one?

We wouldn't have a market for our own network.

And there has been no amount of evidence that shows these "super conferences" are positive for college sports. It ruins what makes college sports so much more better then pro sports. It's about greed and money, which is pathetic.

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 445

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Will this suffice?
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\.............._ _
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,334
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

The biggest problem i think a lot of people are missing with the ideal of realignment will be the affects on scheduling. With the ACC already on board with 14 and soon to be 16 at some point (Rutgers and UConn), we better envision how scheduling and these made for TV games will be lost. No more Oklahoma against FSU....forget about it.....

Instead you will have a shot at how about Oklahoma against Colorado? Not quite the same...

with these superconferences of 16 teams, it will represent an 11 game conference schedule, gone will be the days of undefeated teams, they will simply beat each other up. I personally think the regional coverages become so large that people will actually lose interest to some degree....the traveling and beauty of college football will be lost. gone will be the days of cross border beat downs, now we will be jetsetting games via ipads.....

Again, with the scheduling will lose the opportunitys that have made for some incredible matchups but also the upper tier teams scheduling cupcakes to improve their chances of making that championship run.

So why is Norte Dame looking, they see the writing on the wall. In the land of superconferences, 11 game schedules will reduce the opportunities for marquee matchups and thus they're looking.

I could see ND wanting to come to the big 12 if Texas stayed, and maybe thats texas's ploy to get rid of Nebraska and Oklahoma and then bring in Norte Dame to make their run to the championships easier with increased revenues. I truly believe Mack Brown is the only intelligent one speaking when he says what will this do to our athletics as a whole. Not just Football which plays on saturdays, but what about a matchup that sends okie state out to oregon state in december for a night game on thursday. Those guys will miss the entire week of school. Now to make matters worse....how bout volleyball or baseball or other sports which typically play multiple games a week...how will those travel plans be hampered when your rival is 8 states away?

Superconferences, dreamed up by TV executives that have no idea what the fans really want and instead they think it will raise their ratings? What if their wrong and ratings plummet? They will simply say "Whoops sorry jocks i ruined your sport - we'll figure it out"....

you can say i'm not a fan of superconferences!!!!

Walk On
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    And we have plenty of threads, why add another one?

We wouldn't have a market for our own network.

And there has been no amount of evidence that shows these "super conferences" are positive for college sports. It ruins what makes college sports so much more better then pro sports. It's about greed and money, which is pathetic.

So you don't like "super conferences", but you do like "super threads"

By the way, my original post is not for a super conference of 16, it is for 12 - the only thing qualifying as a superconference would be the teams involved since they are some of the heavy hitters in football. The angle of the post is about the money and allowing for the schools wanting to keep more for themselves (UT, ND, BYU) that option while also getting a positive result for ISU.

As it relates to our own network, we could certainly raise some additional revenue similar to what K-State is doing with their "network." Unfortunately, the Iowa Board of Regents made sure in the early 90's that we would not be able to take advantage of being the only University to Own a TV-Station that happens to be an ABC Affiliate. For those that don't get the reference, ISU once owned WOI-TV but was forced by the Board of Regents (mostly UI grads) to sell the station in the early 90's. How much would owning an ABC-Affiliated Network benefit us now since the main television contract $'s are ESPN/ABC contracts?