Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Texas @ Iowa State- Key Matchups?

Just curious to see what you guys think... what's going to be the most interesting matchup to watch on October 1st?

I'm interested to see how Malcolm Brown does against our linebackers. Texas hasn't faced a defense with the talent level that we have at Iowa State. Watching a little highlight tape from Texas @ UCLA, Brown was able to get plenty of yards after contact, but it seemed like it could have been because UCLA doesn't know how to tackle. We'll see if the hype around Brown is legit or if he's still got a lot to learn.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 831

Re: Texas @ Iowa State- Key Matchups?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloup View Post

I'm interested to see how Malcolm Brown does against our linebackers. Texas hasn't faced a defense with the talent level that we have at Iowa State.
    Not.Sure.If.Serious.

Sorry to nit-pick but I'm pretty sure that the "talent level" at UCLA is superior to ours. We have a better overall team but there are few teams out there that you can say ISU has more talent.

Last edited by The_Architect; 09-20-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 1

I think we will need to be able to run. UT's defense is fast. They seemed vulnerable up the gut against UCLA. Their passing defense is very good. They also give multiple looks on Defense like Uconn.

On Defense we need to make Case throw from the pocket. That means we need to stop the run and contain him on passing downs. Case looks to throw when he runs like Jantz does.

We need to make this into a grind out game and force Case who is in his first year as QB to make decisions with the ball.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    Not.Sure.If.Serious.

I'm pretty sure that the "talent level" at UCLA is superior to ours. We may have a better overall team but UCLA likely has better talent.
    Damn right its a serious post.

ISU's run defense has been more than adequate this year. Great set of LBs and McDonough and Rump have held their own pretty damn well. JM has been fighting off the double team a lot this year according to Bruns who does nothing but watch the line-play.

UCLA is allowing 2 more yards per carry than ISU.

UCLA's defense can suck it! Texas should have their work cut out if they want to run the ball.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

I think the last two games ISU has played will really help them out to be prepared for Brown. Rump, McD, and Laing can continue to play well and hopefully Simon can start to contribute to give ISU 4 solid DT. Also if Matt T can keep playing well we can force a young McCoy to throw on a good secondary.

Last edited by flander1649; 09-20-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    Kyle S. Flander

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by flander1649 View Post
    I think the last two games ISU has played will really help them out to be prepared for Brown. Rump, McD, and Laing can continue to play well and hopefully Simon can start to contribute to give ISU 4 solid DT. Also if Matt T can keep playing well we can for a young McCoy to throw on a good secondary.
    Agreed. Matt T. has been an extremely pleasant surprise.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 223

I think it's going to come down to whether or not McCoy-Shipley 2.0 is as good as the original.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 15

Just curious to see what you guys think... what's going to be the most interesting matchup to watch on October 1st?

I'm interested to see how Malcolm Brown does against our linebackers. Texas hasn't faced a defense with the talent level that we have at Iowa State. Watching a little highlight tape from Texas @ UCLA, Brown was able to get plenty of yards after contact, but it seemed like it could have been because UCLA doesn't know how to tackle. We'll see if the hype around Brown is legit or if he's still got a lot to learn.
    I'm going to say whichever WR Jeremy Reeves is defending. He gets picked on every game due to his size, and last week he came just close to picking that ball off which cost ISU a TD. Reeves had a pass break-up and INT against UT last year and I expect Mack Brown to scheme against his size again.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 387
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Not.Sure.If.Serious.

Sorry to nit-pick but I'm pretty sure that the "talent level" at UCLA is superior to ours. We have a better overall team but there are few teams out there that you can say ISU has more talent.
    Perhaps "productive capability" would have been a better phrase. Semantics aside, the point remains that Iowa State stands a better chance to stop Texas' offense than any of the other defenses Texas has faced so far.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Perhaps "productive capability" would have been a better phrase. Semantics aside, the point remains that Iowa State stands a better chance to stop Texas' offense than any of the other defenses Texas has faced so far.
    Completely agree.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,026
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 16

our dline vs their oline... need to do what we did last year and hit the qb a lot.

Walk On
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Not.Sure.If.Serious.

Did you watch the UCLA/Texas game? UCLA defense was pretty terrible. LJ, Knott, Benton, and prob Klein/Rump would start on that D. I think it's safe to say that ISU has superior talent on D.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    I'm going to say whichever WR Jeremy Reeves is defending. He gets picked on every game due to his size, and last week he came just close to picking that ball off which cost ISU a TD. Reeves had a pass break-up and INT against UT last year and I expect Mack Brown to scheme against his size again.

This was going to be my response as well.

Reeves is a good player but his size is a liability. I'm not sure how or why Iowa didnt pick on him more often but he was exposed last week at UCONN and I expect teams to continue to throw his way until he proves to them that he can make them pay.

Maybe the UCONN game was just a bad day for him or the penalties made him hesitant but he was a liability and let be honest their QB's were HORRIBLE.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 6

Not.Sure.If.Serious.

Based on what, Rivals stars? Who cares. I would take our D against UCLA's any day of the week. We have some very good talent on that side of the ball. Knott, LJ, & maybe Rump would start for any team in the country. McD, Klein, and Benton would at least play for any team in the country, and start for 80+% of teams. Matt T is a beast against the run, the DEs are improving, and Reeves and Washington are getting better every day and will be great DBs before long.

I'm not saying our D is so talented that Texas has no chance, but we will be their toughest challenge yet.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    This was going to be my response as well.

Reeves is a good player but his size is a liability. I'm not sure how or why Iowa didnt pick on him more often but he was exposed last week at UCONN and I expect teams to continue to throw his way until he proves to them that he can make them pay.

Maybe the UCONN game was just a bad day for him or the penalties made him hesitant but he was a liability and let be honest their QB's were HORRIBLE.
    In his defense, the first PI call was atrocious. Also, we were putting 8 in the box and letting him and LJ cover 1 on 1 for much of the night. Even the best corners get beat at some point.

Also, I'm pretty sure he was the guy who knocked down the final pass of the game.

I know nobody is rippin' him here, but just thought those things should be pointed out.