Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 12

Penalties

I dont know if this is the correct place for this rant or not and the mods can move it to where they think it should go but..

Does anyone feel sorry for the USC, OSU, NC, Boise State etc.. that are getting sanctioned by the NCAA. I keep hearing that the NCAA shouldnt do this or do that to these institutions because it will set them back years and years. They cheated and got caught, they benefited from cheating and now they have to pay the penalty. I could care less whether these schools ever come back. There are 300+ schools and maybe its time for some new blood in the upper echelons of NCAA Football that dont get caught cheating.

Rant done.

Thanks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 37

Re: Penalties

Add South Carolina to your list of people in trouble for player benefits.

South Carolina acknowledged Monday the school received a notice of allegations from the NCAA regarding possible violations by its football program and other sports.

The charges spelled out by the NCAA include claims that 12 student-athletes received an estimated $47,000 in impermissible benefits from a local hotel through reduced rent and that nine players received special arrangements to pay at a later date.

It is also alleged that two people deemed representatives of the school made impermissible contact with recruits and provided them impermissible benefits. The violations were said to have occurred between spring 2009 and February 2011.

"We have and will continue to cooperate fully with the NCAA in all aspects of their review," said athletics director Eric Hyman said in a statement. "Any pertinent information from the NCAA that can help us strengthen our athletics program will be used as an opportunity to make positive change."

The school has 90 days to respond to the NCAA notice and then is expected to appear before the committee on infractions.
    http://www.sc.edu/ncaaresponse/NOA.pdf

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 28

Who exactly is saying the NCAA shouldn't penalize schools that break the rules?

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Who exactly is saying the NCAA shouldn't penalize schools that break the rules?

This. If anything, I'd say the prevailing opinion is that the NCAA should be hitting them harder than they are.

And for most of these teams, they'll bounce back fairly quickly. They won't be down for long, if they even go down at all. USC doesn't appear to be too worse for wear. They might dip into 7-8 win territory for a couple years, but it won't be for long.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Teams like OSU and USC will not be kept down for very long.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 945
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

If you listen to talk radio some of the announcers pose the question on whether the NCAA should hit the schools so hard it sets them back. The actually opine that it would not be fair to take a prestigious institution and ruin it.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If you listen to talk radio some of the announcers pose the question on whether the NCAA should hit the schools so hard it sets them back. The actually opine that it would not be fair to take a prestigious institution and ruin it.
    The NCAA didn't force them to break the rules, any and all sanctions were brought onto the universities by themselves.

Rookie
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I had a wild idea today that might both put a serious dent in cheating and put a wrinkle in all this realignment foofarah. If we're heading to a world of 64 big boys and everyone else at the little kids' table, then the NCAA should tell the big boys if they get caught cheating, they lose their place for a couple of years.

Ohio State players get cash & tats from boosters? They play a MAC schedule for 2-3 years. Bowling Green or somebody gets to play in the B1G. Miami gets big bucks from Shapiro? Hello, Sun Belt. The ACC can welcome Middle Tennessee State. It would be like relegation in soccer, only as a penalty for cheaters.

I know, fantasy world. But wouldn't it be an awesome way to slow down the cheaters?

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    The NCAA didn't force them to break the rules, any and all sanctions were brought onto the universities by themselves.
    I agree. Not sure what your problem with me is but what I am saying is there are radio commentators pushing the idea that sanctioning the big boys is a bad idea because it will set them back and they wont be good anymore. I have a problem with that philosophy

Starter
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1
    The NCAA is a money making deal for whom? And why do they need more money and for what? Policing and not enforcing? For trophies? This is a "good old boy" type organization with a lot of backslapping and mutual unwritten understandings. Where is the Boz when you need him?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	10039  

"To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

The thing that disgusts me is how ESPN still covers these teams like they've done nothing wrong. Saturday night Fowler/Herbstreit/Pollack spent 5-10 minutes breaking down highlights of the Miami-Ohio State game. It was, I believe, the second game they talked about after OU-FSU. Even as an ISU fan I was hoping to catch some of the highlights of Iowa's big comeback, but instead I had to sit through coverage of a game between two of the biggest cheating teams in the sport. Way to promote integrity of the sport, ESPN!

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 583
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFan View Post
    The thing that disgusts me is how ESPN still covers these teams like they've done nothing wrong. Saturday night Fowler/Herbstreit/Pollack spent 5-10 minutes breaking down highlights of the Miami-Ohio State game. It was, I believe, the second game they talked about after OU-FSU. Even as an ISU fan I was hoping to catch some of the highlights of Iowa's big comeback, but instead I had to sit through coverage of a game between two of the biggest cheating teams in the sport. Way to promote integrity of the sport, ESPN!
    Yeah, if anything, it's probably ESPN that's calling for less sanctions. They put all the money into these conferences, then, when they cheat, there is a possibility that the NCAA says no TV and no Bowl games for these teams. Lessening the impact of their TV contracts. I would think the majority of fans are sick of the way college football is heading, unless you are a fan of one of the mentioned teams.

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 373

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    How prestigious of an institution are they after they are caught with their mitts in the cookie jar? Who did the ruining -- the NCAA with sanctions or the caretakers of that institution with bad decisions?

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Exactly my point. ESPN, ABC, CBS TV and Radio are working so hard to make it sound like the big bad NCAA is coming down hard on these cheaters. What ever the penalties they all have the prestige to bounce back and bounce back quickly. Why not call a spade a spade? I think one of the other posts stated correctly when they wondered if TV was covering so they dont lose money on bad investments. GREED has cemented itself in college athletics.