Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 29,217, Level: 52
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    2,091
    Points
    29,217
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 43

    Kicking game....

    I know this is no different then any other year, but does anyone else share my huge concern with our lack of kicking game this year? I know Guyer did make one in a decently clutch moment on Friday, but with as close as the first 3 games were and how I don't see that changing through the rest of the conference games. We need to get this figured out or this will be our Achilles heal in any close game moving forward....



  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 10,343, Level: 30
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Lloyd88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Posts
    444
    Points
    10,343
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Kicking game....

    Kicking game usually wins or loses a couple games a year. Yes, I'm concerned that our kickers are not more accurate. But they're all we've got right now.



    Loyal Sons for ever True



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 39,603, Level: 61
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 747
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,663
    Points
    39,603
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 10

    Re: Kicking game....

    I think our stadium/conditions hurts us on recruiting quality kickers.


    Let Me Mayor Coach!

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 104,323, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    6,273
    Points
    104,323
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 127

    Re: Kicking game....

    Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    I know this is no different then any other year, but does anyone else share my huge concern with our lack of kicking game this year? I know Guyer did make one in a decently clutch moment on Friday, but with as close as the first 3 games were and how I don't see that changing through the rest of the conference games. We need to get this figured out or this will be our Achilles heal in any close game moving forward....

    Yeah, I would think any fan would be worried. Nothing to work out right now though. Unless someone knows a student with a leg of gold on campus and can get him to go try out. This is our kicking game. nothing we can do about it but sit back and pray.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 31,610, Level: 54
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,676
    Points
    31,610
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 124

    Re: Kicking game....

    It is a big concern, but as others have stated we are stuck with Guyer and Mahoney.

    I dont know why I (or anyone esle for that matter) thought it would be any better with Guyer since GM has beat him out 3 of the past 4 yrs.

    The reality is we are a team that despirately needs to score points every time we get into range and we are highly erratic at best.


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 84,703, Level: 90
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    azepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    3,964
    Points
    84,703
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

    Re: Kicking game....

    It was nice to be on the right side of two missed field goals on Friday night!



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 174,025, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,039
    Points
    174,025
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 30

    Re: Kicking game....

    I think our kicking woes have always been exacerbated because we've rarely blown anyone out and always seem to be on the wrong side of close games. If our team starts winning by 2+ touchdowns no one notices a kicker going 1/3.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 29,217, Level: 52
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    2,091
    Points
    29,217
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 43

    Re: Kicking game....

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    Yeah, I would think any fan would be worried. Nothing to work out right now though. Unless someone knows a student with a leg of gold on campus and can get him to go try out. This is our kicking game. nothing we can do about it but sit back and pray.
    I think Mahoney's FR and SO years were decent, I personally think he is going through head games after the fall off last year.... I am fine with the 2 kicker system, as long as Guyer does not miss another attempt all year... I just know we have seen Mahoney kick decent and his kick-offs never show a lack of leg strength.... I would just hate to see us lose some games because of this as the season moves on.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 174,025, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,039
    Points
    174,025
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 30

    Re: Kicking game....

    Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    I think Mahoney's FR and SO years were decent, I personally think he is going through head games after the fall off last year.... I am fine with the 2 kicker system, as long as Guyer does not miss another attempt all year... I just know we have seen Mahoney kick decent and his kick-offs never show a lack of leg strength.... I would just hate to see us lose some games because of this as the season moves on.
    What was the deal with GM's kick-offs on Friday Night? They were barely making it to the 15 yard line. Was it insanely windy up there?



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 29,217, Level: 52
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    2,091
    Points
    29,217
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 43

    Re: Kicking game....

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    I think our kicking woes have always been exacerbated because we've rarely blown anyone out and always seem to be on the wrong side of close games. If our team starts winning by 2+ touchdowns no one notices a kicker going 1/3.
    Very true but with our schedule there are not many games where winning by 2 TDs is even possible.... Tech, KU, maybe Kstate, but that depends which team shows up....



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 10,343, Level: 30
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Lloyd88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Posts
    444
    Points
    10,343
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Kicking game....

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    What was the deal with GM's kick-offs on Friday Night? They were barely making it to the 15 yard line. Was it insanely windy up there?
    I noticed that too. During the Iowa game he was blasting them into the end zone.

    UConn kicked some low and out of bounds trying to keep them away from Lenz.



    Loyal Sons for ever True



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 174,025, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,039
    Points
    174,025
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 30

    Re: Kicking game....

    Quote Originally Posted by jburke View Post
    Very true but with our schedule there are not many games where winning by 2 TDs is even possible.... Tech, KU, maybe Kstate, but that depends which team shows up....
    Oh I agree. Teams like ISU win and lose games on a single field goal and that makes me really nervous.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 126,698, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    Posts
    5,181
    Points
    126,698
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 155

    Re: Kicking game....

    I dont know if you consider this part of our kicking game, but has anyone else been blown away buy our punting? I think this has been a huuugggge help the first few games of the season.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 119,303, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9,767
    Points
    119,303
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Kicking game....

    Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    I dont know if you consider this part of our kicking game, but has anyone else been blown away buy our punting? I think this has been a huuugggge help the first few games of the season.
    Historically we have always had good punters, comes from the amount of game experience ours always used to get.

    Kicking has been a freakin nightmare for as long as I can remember. I used to puprosely cover my eyes for every FG or extra point try.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 340,933, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,231
    Points
    340,933
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 432
    Given: 273

    Re: Kicking game....

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    I think our kicking woes have always been exacerbated because we've rarely blown anyone out and always seem to be on the wrong side of close games. If our team starts winning by 2+ touchdowns no one notices a kicker going 1/3.
    +1



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM