SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 391

Netflix Changes

Dear XXXXX,

I messed up. I owe you an explanation.

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. Let me explain what we are doing.

For the past five years, my greatest fear at Netflix has been that we wouldn't make the leap from success in DVDs to success in streaming. Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores – do not become great at new things people want (streaming for us). So we moved quickly into streaming, but I should have personally given you a full explanation of why we are splitting the services and thereby increasing prices. It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

So here is what we are doing and why.

Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD. DVD is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection of movies.

I also love our streaming service because it is integrated into my TV, and I can watch anytime I want. The benefits of our streaming service are really quite different from the benefits of DVD by mail. We need to focus on rapid improvement as streaming technology and the market evolves, without maintaining compatibility with our DVD by mail service.

So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are really becoming two different businesses, with very different cost structures, that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently.

It’s hard to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”. We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, but now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). If you subscribe to both services you will have two entries on your credit card statement, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as your current charges. We will let you know in a few weeks when the Qwikster.com website is up and ready.

For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that lovely red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be similar for many of you.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for sticking with us, and to apologize again to those members, both current and former, who felt we treated them thoughtlessly.

Both the Qwikster and Netflix teams will work hard to regain your trust. We know it will not be overnight. Actions speak louder than words. But words help people to understand actions.

Respectfully yours,

-Reed Hastings, Co-Founder and CEO, Netflix

p.s. I have a slightly longer explanation along with a video posted on our blog, where you can also post comments.

This message was mailed to xxxxxx by Netflix.
    SRC: 1578.0.US.en-US
    Use of the Netflix service and website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
    (c) 2011 Netflix, Inc. 100 Winchester Circle, Los Gatos, CA 95032, U.S.A.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 391

Re: Netflix Changes

Well ****, so many changes. Hopefully this all pays off.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 372

It's funny how one decision can completely slam a company. I think their big mistake was timing.

Last edited by dmclone; 09-19-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 410
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

I saw the email in my inbox and was hoping for a return to lower prices...

Last edited by superman_101680; 09-19-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 519
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

This is typical corporate BS.

Customers are mad (and many left) over price hikes. So lets create a new name and web site ! I suppose you could consider the video game upgrade something new but you have to pay extra for that...

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,284
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 91

****ing flowers and happy puppies, godd***it.

'Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius-and a lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction.'
    -Einstein

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,685
    Given: 170

I don't get it, their costs went up so their prices went up, doesn't seem all that sinister.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

The movie companies are demanding much more money from Netflix and they are trying to pass this along at double the cost. Heard that it may go up even more after that.

That said, Sony and others are keeping some of their prime content away from netflix for awhile. Redbox get big DVDs it sooner. I just kept streaming and am using Redbox and Vudu, Amazon etc. Just playing the field like guys do.

I feel like the movie compamnies are going the way of music companies - they are paying too much money out for promotion and then they have to scrape in a big payback on the tailend.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,045
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    I don't get it, their costs went up so their prices went up, doesn't seem all that sinister.
    It is the way they tried to make it seem like a good thing. Their initial notice said they were providing a better product at a higher price. All they were providing was a higher price.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 82

Hmm, so now I get to manage my disc queue and options through one service on one website, and I get to manage all my streaming stuff through another website under a different name. Yet the cost to me and the service delivered will remain the same. What a pain in the ***. I guess the next lesson for Netflix is that two wrongs don't make a right.

This seems to add unnecessary complexity to the business model and it seems like there are plenty of opportunities to negatively impact customer experience. This just doesn't seem like a wise move at all for a company that is reeling from some recent business decisions that have already driven a lot of negative PR.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 119

This seems to add unnecessary complexity to the business model and it seems like there are plenty of opportunities to negatively impact customer experience.
    However, it makes it easier for them to kill disc delivery completely and move toward streaming only.

BTW the first thing I thought of when I heard Qwikster was one of those Amway companies Quixtar. LOL.

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Hmm, so now I get to manage my disc queue and options through one service on one website, and I get to manage all my streaming stuff through another website under a different name. Yet the cost to me and the service delivered will remain the same. What a pain in the ***. I guess the next lesson for Netflix is that two wrongs don't make a right.
    I voluntarily signed up for the "separate website/company" idea on Friday by dropping Netflix discs and picking up Blockbuster. Well, technically, my Netflix discs won't end until 10/13/11 and I am on the 30 day trial for Blockbuster. But the cost is $5 cheaper for the 2 disc feature (plus the added Netflix BR cost, so $9 I believe) in addition to the savings if I wanted to rent games when Netflix begins to charge for that option as well. Along with the price savings, the ability to take a movie in to a brick & mortar store and get a different movie immediately sounds great.

I'll be keeping Netflix streaming and am adding BB for the discs only. I am not sure what I'll do when the BB streaming hits, that will be a decision for another day when I can see how good it is. But if you're frustrated with NF and the prices, maybe give BB a try I suppose. They're pushing hard to steal customers away, which means the prices and incentives should stay the same for a while..

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 84

Time for Blockbuster to step up!!

Also I was looking for a movie to watch last night on streaming...haha right....the only thing streaming is good for is documentary's and tv series...

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 82

Quote Originally Posted by PerkyForHerky View Post
    I voluntarily signed up for the "separate website/company" idea on Friday by dropping Netflix discs and picking up Blockbuster. Well, technically, my Netflix discs won't end until 10/13/11 and I am on the 30 day trial for Blockbuster. But the cost is $5 cheaper for the 2 disc feature (plus the added Netflix BR cost, so $9 I believe) in addition to the savings if I wanted to rent games when Netflix begins to charge for that option as well. Along with the price savings, the ability to take a movie in to a brick & mortar store and get a different movie immediately sounds great.

I'll be keeping Netflix streaming and am adding BB for the discs only. I am not sure what I'll do when the BB streaming hits, that will be a decision for another day when I can see how good it is. But if you're frustrated with NF and the prices, maybe give BB a try I suppose. They're pushing hard to steal customers away, which means the prices and incentives should stay the same for a while..
    My beef isn't with the price at all, I just don't want to deal with two separate sites to manage my stuff. Right now, I get one stop shopping for my discs and my streaming, but that is gone. Obviously, moving to BB doesn't fix that, though now that I have to manage two anyway, the switching cost is gone for adding a BB disc plan in the place of Netflix discs, as you have already experienced.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Too little too late. And they say nothing about improving their selection online.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball