Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

The Big 10 Hail Mary

Ok, I wouldn't be on this at all but... If the Big 10 will remain content to wait for all the carnage to happen just to get ND, lets dream and hope a little.

It looks like UCONN & Rutgers are the 15th & 16th teams for the ACC. The ACC also implemented $20 Million exit fee this week. Is this enough to discourage any team for leaving for the Big 10? This is really the key.

If OU, OSU, UT & Tech are gone to the PAC 16, otherwise the Big 12 stays and we don't have to worry about all this.

The SEC has A&M and adds Missouri(no waiting for the Big 10 a second time), West Virginia and even a 3rd I'm not sure of at this point.

The Big 10 has waited and Notre Dame now needs to join a conference but who are the other 3? I think Kansas is the top choice but I don't see 2 others that have not already joined a conference. Maybe due to proximity and ease of travel, academics, and WRESTLING we get in. Ok, Ok the wrestling part was a joke. Maybe two very senior senators could send some messages about research funding.

But under this very realistic scenario of events(not saying ISU to Big 10, just where the schools go) I don't see who is left. So by waiting for ND and not wanting to be the instigator of college football Armageddon the Big 10 has a few spots open. The real question is whether the $20 Million exit fee by the ACC is enough to keep schools from leaving. That and ND feels it needs a conference for their other sports and scheduling.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,246
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: The Big 10 Hail Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Win5002 View Post
    Ok, I wouldn't be on this at all but... If the Big 10 will remain content to wait for all the carnage to happen just to get ND, lets dream and hope a little.

It looks like UCONN & Rutgers are the 15th & 16th teams for the ACC. The ACC also implemented $20 Million exit fee this week. Is this enough to discourage any team for leaving for the Big 10? This is really the key.

If OU, OSU, UT & Tech are gone to the PAC 16, otherwise the Big 12 stays and we don't have to worry about all this.

The SEC has A&M and adds Missouri(no waiting for the Big 10 a second time), West Virginia and even a 3rd I'm not sure of at this point.

The Big 10 has waited and Notre Dame now needs to join a conference but who are the other 3? I think Kansas is the top choice but I don't see 2 others that have not already joined a conference. Maybe due to proximity and ease of travel, academics, and WRESTLING we get in. Ok, Ok the wrestling part was a joke. Maybe two very senior senators could send some messages about research funding.

But under this very realistic scenario of events(not saying ISU to Big 10, just where the schools go) I don't see who is left. So by waiting for ND and not wanting to be the instigator of college football Armageddon the Big 10 has a few spots open. The real question is whether the $20 Million exit fee by the ACC is enough to keep schools from leaving. That and ND feels it needs a conference for their other sports and scheduling.
    aptly put. its 4th and 7, but we do have Steele and Money.

Honor Before Victory

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneML View Post
    aptly put. its 4th and 7, but we do have Steele and Money.
    ND, KU, MU, and ISU could fit in without redrawing any divisions.

ND & ISU in the Legends division. KU & Mizzou in the Leaders

Crossover rivals would only change slightly.

ND-Purdue
    ISU-Mizzou
    KU-Iowa

Mizzou and KU would be in a division with Illinois

ISU in a division with Iowa, ND in a division with UM and MSU

Makes too much sense to ever happen though.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by weisr2002 View Post

ND-Purdue
    ISU-Mizzou
    KU-Iowa

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Win5002 View Post

Pretty sure the increased exit fee by the ACC is to prevent FSU and Clemson to bolt for the SEC.

Regarding the Big 10, they're not required to expand to 16 or even 14. Delaney is clearly one of the more savvy guys out there, and he's not going to do anything that's not in the financial and competitive interests of the conference. I highly doubt they'll add programs just for the sake of adding programs. The last two programs the Big 10 has added are two of the richer and most storied programs in college football history. Clearly ND has an open invite. But for anyone else, they're going to have to bring a lot to the table. Pretty sure the Big 10 will be fine sitting at 12 if they don't think the right programs are ready to come aboard.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 651
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by weisr2002 View Post

ND-Purdue
    ISU-Mizzou
    KU-Iowa

God damnit there you go with your stupid logic again....

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think

Iowa State University Big XII champs 2012 ***official CF PS3 Online Dynasty***

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cychotiic View Post

God damnit there you go with your stupid logic again....
    I would take a half share of big 10 revenues at this point. That may be the only way we get in, unless a cash cow like ND comes too.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 74

ISU has friends in the Big 10. ISU fits perfect for 5 other current schools, add KU and there is a 6th school it fits well with. ISU wont get an invite because of its athletic dept or the viewers it will bring the Big 10, it will get invited becuase of the qualilty of University it is, how it fits travelwise into the conference and because of the work Geoffery and JP do to sell ISU and the TV angle.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 431
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My biggest fear is that the B1G is content with staying at 12 teams and does not look to expand. I do agree that if they somehow decide to follow the trend and go 16, I don't know how we don't land there simply by the few options they would have at that point.

Rookie
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    ISU has friends in the Big 10. ISU fits perfect for 5 other current schools, add KU and there is a 6th school it fits well with. ISU wont get an invite because of its athletic dept or the viewers it will bring the Big 10, it will get invited becuase of the qualilty of University it is, how it fits travelwise into the conference and because of the work Geoffery and JP do to sell ISU and the TV angle.
    We'd be the Purdue of the west. Gee, who do we know at Purdue???

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 452
    Given: 307

Quote Originally Posted by fwiw View Post
    We'd be the Purdue of the west. Gee, who do we know at Purdue???
    Well, we USED to know Martin Jische, the guy who preceded GG as ISU president (and virtually everyone at ISU celebrated when he took the post at Purdue).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree ISU doesn't add the TV sets, and would be a filler, but at least ISU wouldn't have to boost their academics like Nebraska has to do now to fit into the Big 10. Nebraska has to boost enrollment from 25,000 to 30,000. ISU already there, and within 1000 of U of I. Nebraska has to boost graduation rate and research spending. ISU is in the AAU and Nebraska chancellor Pearlman also tried to down play their dismissal from the AAU in an article in the Weird Herald.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 26

[QUOTE=Gonzo;2406732]Pretty sure the increased exit fee by the ACC is to prevent FSU and Clemson to bolt for the SEC.

Regarding the Big 10, they're not required to expand to 16 or even 14. Delaney is clearly one of the more savvy guys out there, and he's not going to do anything that's not in the financial and competitive interests of the conference.

I think that ISU does add a finacial savings to Big 10 schools in general, because it is located right in the middle of the western division of the Big 10 and would allow team to have less travel expenses. Remember, travel expenses apply to all sports not just the revenue ones. Also, ISU has to look more attractive to the lesser programs in the Big 10 than added another high powered team that will kick the crap out of them every year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by mg4cy View Post
    I agree ISU doesn't add the TV sets, and would be a filler, but at least ISU wouldn't have to boost their academics like Nebraska has to do now to fit into the Big 10. Nebraska has to boost enrollment from 25,000 to 30,000. ISU already there, and within 1000 of U of I. Nebraska has to boost graduation rate and research spending. ISU is in the AAU and Nebraska chancellor Pearlman also tried to down play their dismissal from the AAU in an article in the Weird Herald.
    ISU may not add TV sets but it would add viewers to the BTN. I think having both schools in the same conference would bring some fringe fans foward and create more buzz in the state, thus bring more viewers to the TV.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 372
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by mg4cy View Post
    Where did you hear/read that Nebraska has to boost their enrollment? What does enrollment have to do with anything? Northwestern isn't a very big school.