Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Phillip Bates

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 38,963, Level: 60
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,477
    Points
    38,963
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

    Phillip Bates

    Looks like he is finally made a permanent move to WR after trying to play QB the past 5 years. He has two catches for 66 yards and a TD for Ohio so far tonight after going 10 for 25 passing in his career up until this point as a QB. I wish this kid would have been open to a position change when he was here---you can never have too many playmakers on the field.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 91,766, Level: 94
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,384
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    NobodyBeatsCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    3,280
    Points
    91,766
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 36

    Re: Phillip Bates

    That's rich.


    "Explode and tear this whole town apart
    Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart
    Find somebody itching for something to start"


    "The Promised Land" Bruce Springsteen

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,519
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Phillip Bates

    Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    Looks like he is finally made a permanent move to WR after trying to play QB the past 5 years. He has two catches for 66 yards and a TD for Ohio so far tonight after going 10 for 25 passing in his career up until this point as a QB. I wish this kid would have been open to a position change when he was here---you can never have too many playmakers on the field.
    NO No it was all Chizik's fault!!!



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 93,586, Level: 95
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,954
    Points
    93,586
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Phillip Bates

    Blankenship getting any carries? I forgot Solich is coach there now as well.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 107,567, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,090
    Points
    107,567
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 67

    Re: Phillip Bates

    I look at Phillip Bates and I see a guy who athletically reminds me of McNutt. He switched to WR at Iowa and has done pretty well.



  6. #6
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    creightonclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    682
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Phillip Bates

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    I look at Phillip Bates and I see a guy who athletically reminds me of McNutt. He switched to WR at Iowa and has done pretty well.
    Isn't McNutt a lot bigger?



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,929, Level: 70
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,631
    Points
    51,929
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 143

    Re: Phillip Bates

    I think his best position was at DB or LB, if he got any bigger.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 22,763, Level: 46
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,124
    Points
    22,763
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Phillip Bates

    **** bates and **** chizik



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 154,236, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,397
    Points
    154,236
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 14

    Re: Phillip Bates

    I will never understand resistance to switching from QB to WR. McNutt is a perfect example, he'll be playing on Sundays. Phil should've switched here and it's sad because he's the one who has missed out.

    Really, once you get to a BCS program and you try and fail at QB, why not make the switch to WR or S or CB? If Paul Rhoads and even Gene Chizik are telling you you should switch to the defensive backfield you should really take that advice. It could make you millions of dollars in the future.*











    * In Chizik's case right away!


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 158,327, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    7,888
    Points
    158,327
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

    Re: Phillip Bates

    He was a major factor in beating Iowa.

    I will always be grateful.


    Carrying the banner for ISU.


  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 172,410, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,982
    Points
    172,410
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

    Re: Phillip Bates

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    I will never understand resistance to switching from QB to WR. McNutt is a perfect example, he'll be playing on Sundays. Phil should've switched here and it's sad because he's the one who has missed out.

    Really, once you get to a BCS program and you try and fail at QB, why not make the switch to WR or S or CB? If Paul Rhoads and even Gene Chizik are telling you you should switch to the defensive backfield you should really take that advice. It could make you millions of dollars in the future.*


    * In Chizik's case right away!
    Some people have just had their egos stroked by family and "friends" for so long that they have no sense of reality.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 22,763, Level: 46
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,124
    Points
    22,763
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Phillip Bates

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    He was a major factor in beating Iowa.

    I will always be grateful.

    it was all bret culbertson that day



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 26,984, Level: 50
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,230
    Points
    26,984
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Phillip Bates

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    I look at Phillip Bates and I see a guy who athletically reminds me of McNutt. He switched to WR at Iowa and has done pretty well.
    I think the closer comparison would be Austin Flynn, when Bret Meyer and him were competing. I realize McNutt is the prominent QB to WR switch in the state right now. But, there are other recent examples. McNutt has the size of pro style receiver. Bates does not. Flynn and Bates are a closer comparison in size. The difference is Flynn had a heart like a champion.

    You're a great cyclone Austin. I know you are on this board. Thank you for everything.



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 11,544, Level: 32
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on Hwy 30
    Posts
    676
    Points
    11,544
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

    Re: Phillip Bates

    Quote Originally Posted by BooneCy View Post

    You're a great cyclone Austin. I know you are on this board. Thank you for everything.
    Opening an 8-year-old can of worms ... I thought Flynn was the better QB. I argued with my son about that off and on for four years. Still like to joke about it.

    McCarney's logic: QB race a dead heat. Flynn more athletic than Meyer => Flynn = receiver.


    I'm glad Flynn's back in Iowa. Hopefully he'll make it on Rhoads' staff someday.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Iowa
    Posts
    1,115
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Phillip Bates

    Quote Originally Posted by Max57 View Post
    Opening an 8-year-old can of worms ... I thought Flynn was the better QB. I argued with my son about that off and on for four years. Still like to joke about it.

    McCarney's logic: QB race a dead heat. Flynn more athletic than Meyer => Flynn = receiver.


    I'm glad Flynn's back in Iowa. Hopefully he'll make it on Rhoads' staff someday.

    I totally agree. Had seemed like Austin had control in the huddle and was a leader with words and actions. Wasn't in huddle, so I can't say for sure, but it seemed that way.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM