Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

My 2 cents on realignment

So possibly we've contacted the Big East as a backup plan? And this is news because?????

ISU currently has a seat at the BCS table. Like the vast majority of BCS conference teams, ISU is not a power player to the networks; HOWEVER we still have a seat at the table. We cannot be evicted from that seat by realignment without someone violating a contract (network, current Big 12 member, whatever), so if we are asked to leave the table we can say "chuck you, farley" to that. If we're going to be kicked out of the club, we will be able to collect damages from being forced to leave. I'm not talking about a free meal and a membership in the "cheese of the month club" (although, that's the gift that just keeps on giving): I'm talking about BIG MOOLAH. Enough to build a new stadium AND improve other facilities. And with those big new PAID FOR facilities, from the buyout, we have a chance to graduate from "also-ran" to "mid-level contender" in the Big BCS sweepstakes.

It's in the interests of the BCS schools AND the networks to keep schools like us content. Without the compliance of the vast majority of non-powerhouse teams, the whole damn house of cards collapses and NOBODY gets paid. All we have to do is sit tight and keep looking out for our own best interests.

The one upside to all this talk? The team gets to stay under the radar and maybe they won't get into a Utah '10 game or an Oklahoma '02 game situation. They can just tune out the drama & concentrate on playing ball.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,197
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

Re: My 2 cents on realignment

the way I see it the big 12 and big east fall apart and I think the remaining schools combine to make a new conference and try to grab a couple other schools

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

No one can tell for certain what the monetary issues will be if this all goes down, but I think you are right...this is going to get messy if teams are left out. The media is just running their mouth like everything will settle smoothly and all matter-of-fact.

Like the Big 12 last year, the Big East is the vulnerable conference this year...more-so than the Big 12. The reason for that is because of the TV re-negotiation timing. I'm glad to see that, but I wish OU wouldn't have opened their "realignment option" talk. We could be poaching some good teams to fortify our own conference!

Although it is a little odd that the ACC and the SEC are actively grabbing up new members that will dilute their already re-negotiated TV contracts, it is understandable that they are out to fortify their conference for the future since everyone seems to think that superconferences are the way to go. At least they are fortifying themselves right now in a logical manner.

I said it once before, but I'll say it again...I don't know how our new contracts are timed to be up for re-negotiation in the future, but we NEED to get those aligned with the other power conferences in the future or it is going to be the same drama later. Even the massive buyout clause won't stop it.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    the way I see it the big 12 and big east fall apart and I think the remaining schools combine to make a new conference and try to grab a couple other schools
    This is kinda what I'm thinking too. What happens to Norte Dame in this? Do we tell them, either bring your football team or your out or do we continue to have only partial membership with about a thousand basketball teams and only 10 football teams?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 688
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    So possibly we've contacted the Big East as a backup plan? And this is news because?????

ISU currently has a seat at the BCS table. Like the vast majority of BCS conference teams, ISU is not a power player to the networks; HOWEVER we still have a seat at the table. We cannot be evicted from that seat by realignment without someone violating a contract (network, current Big 12 member, whatever), so if we are asked to leave the table we can say "chuck you, farley" to that. If we're going to be kicked out of the club, we will be able to collect damages from being forced to leave. I'm not talking about a free meal and a membership in the "cheese of the month club" (although, that's the gift that just keeps on giving): I'm talking about BIG MOOLAH. Enough to build a new stadium AND improve other facilities. And with those big new PAID FOR facilities, from the buyout, we have a chance to graduate from "also-ran" to "mid-level contender" in the Big BCS sweepstakes.

It's in the interests of the BCS schools AND the networks to keep schools like us content. Without the compliance of the vast majority of non-powerhouse teams, the whole damn house of cards collapses and NOBODY gets paid. All we have to do is sit tight and keep looking out for our own best interests.

The one upside to all this talk? The team gets to stay under the radar and maybe they won't get into a Utah '10 game or an Oklahoma '02 game situation. They can just tune out the drama & concentrate on playing ball.
    Sit back and take the exit fees. No need to panic. Take the $$$$$. Could be as much $84 million divided amongst 7 teams. Looks like Big East teams could join us to form a conference. And I really don't see Texas going as an Independent. They would have what the want. A BCS AQ Conference without the really big heavyweights. We actually would have a pretty good conference. Add Louisville for sure. Pitt and 'Cuse to the ACC. WVU to the SEC. If OU and OSU bolt. You could add all 5 Big East teams if you wish. You would actually have a decent football conference and a helluva Basketball conference. Get a boatload of exit fees split amongst the remaining original 7 members. Get maximum. No negotiating. Get Texas to agree to make LHN a Big XII network. Negotiate Tier 1 rights in a few years and cash in. Should get at least $20 million or more per team between Tier 1 and Tier 2 rights.

We could maybe drop Cincinatti and pick up TCU. That would leave us with East and West Divisions.

East-----Mizzou, ISU, UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, South Florida

West----KU, KSU, UT, Baylor, TCU, TTU

Play your 5 division rivals every year and 3 from other division in two year cycles.

I could also see dropping UCONN and Rutgers for logistics but those areas would bring a big imprint and lots of TV sets.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Sit back and take the exit fees. No need to panic. Take the $$$$$. Could be as much $84 million divided amongst 7 teams. Looks like Big East teams could join us to form a conference. And I really don't see Texas going as an Independent. They would have what the want. A BCS AQ Conference without the really big heavyweights. We actually would have a pretty good conference. Add Louisville for sure. Pitt and 'Cuse to the ACC. WVU to the SEC. If OU and OSU bolt. You could add all 5 Big East teams if you wish. You would actually have a decent football conference and a helluva Basketball conference. Get a boatload of exit fees split amongst the remaining original 7 members. Get maximum. No negotiating. Get Texas to agree to make LHN a Big XII network. Negotiate Tier 1 rights in a few years and cash in. Should get at least $20 million or more per team between Tier 1 and Tier 2 rights.

We could maybe drop Cincinatti and pick up TCU. That would leave us with East and West Divisions.

Play your 5 division rivals every year and 3 from other division in two year cycles.

I could also see dropping UCONN and Rutgers for logistics but those areas would bring a big imprint and lots of TV sets.
    That would actually not be too bad.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

Just not that crazy about UConn because of (some of) their fans. Any more word on what happened ??

Clone4ever

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,577
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The exit fees are nice, but we're also entitled to the current contract for the Big 12 with the networks.

What's that? ESPN and Fox aren't interested in paying the contract without Texas and the Okie schools? Tough fecal material. If that's the case, they shouldn't have signed a contract with the other teams in the conference. They should have just cut a side deal with the Big Boys.

So, with my math, we get the exit buyouts AND a share of the current TV contract. And without "big boys" to poach all the TV spots, we get a LOT more TV exposure (which can be good or bad, depending on how we perform). And that's without asking for "damages" for being left behind by the high flyers.

The exit fees are nice, but they're hardly the only payout we're going to get. We're looking at not only "one time" money, but a revenue stream here. At least until the end of the TV deal (2024, I think?)

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Speechless
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 688
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    The exit fees are nice, but we're also entitled to the current contract for the Big 12 with the networks.

What's that? ESPN and Fox aren't interested in paying the contract without Texas and the Okie schools? Tough fecal material. If that's the case, they shouldn't have signed a contract with the other teams in the conference. They should have just cut a side deal with the Big Boys.

So, with my math, we get the exit buyouts AND a share of the current TV contract. And without "big boys" to poach all the TV spots, we get a LOT more TV exposure (which can be good or bad, depending on how we perform). And that's without asking for "damages" for being left behind by the high flyers.

The exit fees are nice, but they're hardly the only payout we're going to get. We're looking at not only "one time" money, but a revenue stream here. At least until the end of the TV deal (2024, I think?)
    We would get that Tier 2 contract.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

We would get that Tier 2 contract.
    Link please? I haven't been following all the drama lately, so I'm unclear on that part of things.

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490

I just cannot for the life of me comprehend two Big 12 teams contacting the Big East about possibly joining them?

Think about that for a second. Big 12 teams possibly begging to get into the flippin' Big East. The world really just might be coming to an end.

As someone else said, we are the Big 12! We should be poaching schools from the Big East, not the other way around.

Texas screwed this all up, so I say let them fix it. Go ahead and let OU and OSU leave if they want to. But then Texas needs to step up, drop their LHN channel, and go out and tell teams like Louisville, BYU, Cincy, etc to come to the Big 12.

We must have the weakest commissioner of any conference by far. The Big East is falling apart, and they're taking teams from us. You have to be kidding me.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I just cannot for the life of me comprehend two Big 12 teams contacting the Big East about possibly joining them?

Think about that for a second. Big 12 teams possibly begging to get into the flippin' Big East. The world really just might be coming to an end.

As someone else said, we are the Big 12! We should be poaching schools from the Big East, not the other way around.

Texas screwed this all up, so I say let them fix it. Go ahead and let OU and OSU leave if they want to. But then Texas needs to step up, drop their LHN channel, and go out and tell teams like Louisville, BYU, Cincy, etc to come to the Big 12.

We must have the weakest commissioner of any conference by far. The Big East is falling apart, and they're taking teams from us. You have to be kidding me.
    Remember, a "reported" contact is NOT the same thing as an actual contact. But your assessment of the Big 12 commissioner? Spot on.

It's good to see that the conference didn't hold his wrecking the Exxon Valdez, his mismanagement of Enron AND his great idea about "Hey, let's change the formula for Coca Cola" against him when we hired him to represent our interests.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 128

I like it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 619

this is ideal. BASKETBALL would be crazy. Imagine Fred's recruiting if we played in the Big East.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

You can take KU and Mizzou out of there and likely add powerhouses like ECU/UCF.