Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 76,480, Level: 85
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    TXCyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Heath, TX
    Posts
    3,067
    Points
    76,480
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 176

    Cyclone Recruiting

    I had the opportunity to spend some time in Tuscaloosa on several occassions over the past year. The environment of the football games is phenomenal, the fans are incredibly polite to opposing teams (wishing them good-luck before the game and hoping they had a good time in Tuscaloosa while visiting).

    Two things have really struck me that I would like to see the ISU community do immediately! Before the start of the football game the recruits/prospects are brought out single-file around the track inside the stadium on their way to their seats AND THE CROWD GOES INSANE. It brought chills to me and I wasn't even the one being recruited! Imagine what it does for those kids!

    Then, during the offseason, whenever a recruit is in town the stadium lights are turned on. This is essentially the bat-signal for the entire community to gather at one particular restaurant/bar in downtown Tuscaloosa where the recruits are taken to dinner. They eat in an upstair/mezzanine above the restaurant. The community lines the steps all the way out of the restaurant and when the recruit and coaches come down the steps the crowd erupts into applause. You should see the reaction of the kids! I saw one of them immediately turn around and go back to the table to sign his letter of intent!

    No school shows more spirit than ISU, except for maybe UA. I would love to see a new tradition started that emulates a similar concept! It is chilling!



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 336,324, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    15,783
    Points
    336,324
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 994
    Given: 2,100

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by TXCyclones View Post
    I had the opportunity to spend some time in Tuscaloosa on several occassions over the past year. The environment of the football games is phenomenal, the fans are incredibly polite to opposing teams (wishing them good-luck before the game and hoping they had a good time in Tuscaloosa while visiting).

    Two things have really struck me that I would like to see the ISU community do immediately! Before the start of the football game the recruits/prospects are brought out single-file around the track inside the stadium on their way to their seats AND THE CROWD GOES INSANE. It brought chills to me and I wasn't even the one being recruited! Imagine what it does for those kids!

    Then, during the offseason, whenever a recruit is in town the stadium lights are turned on. This is essentially the bat-signal for the entire community to gather at one particular restaurant/bar in downtown Tuscaloosa where the recruits are taken to dinner. They eat in an upstair/mezzanine above the restaurant. The community lines the steps all the way out of the restaurant and when the recruit and coaches come down the steps the crowd erupts into applause. You should see the reaction of the kids! I saw one of them immediately turn around and go back to the table to sign his letter of intent!

    No school shows more spirit than ISU, except for maybe UA. I would love to see a new tradition started that emulates a similar concept! It is chilling!

    Sounds like Bama is basically flirting with recruiting violations for every visit actually.

    You aren't supposed to "introduce" recruits to the public so they "unintentionally" parade them around the track? And the fans just happen to show up at the restaurant and cheer.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 55,041, Level: 72
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AlleyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,608
    Points
    55,041
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    Sounds like Bama is basically flirting with recruiting violations for every visit actually.

    You aren't supposed to "introduce" recruits to the public so they "unintentionally" parade them around the track? And the fans just happen to show up at the restaurant and cheer.
    Yes, yes they are.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 336,324, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    15,783
    Points
    336,324
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 994
    Given: 2,100

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    If we did anything like that at ISU, we would end up losing scholarships real quick. Bama has bending the rules down to a science.



  5. #5
    Starter
    Points: 11,757, Level: 32
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Clonedogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CR, IA
    Posts
    815
    Points
    11,757
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 26

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    i dont think we would get the same leniency.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 40,805, Level: 62
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    40,805
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonedogg View Post
    i dont think we would get the same leniency.
    alabama has had an insane football program from day one. if we tried anything like alabama,we sure in the hell would be insighted for a recruiting violation..
    the ncaa allows alabama and our old buddy chizzy stick with all kinds of violations. you cannot tell me that auburn did not slip some cash to the old man of the recent qb they had at auburn. the full story of that has never come out...


    doc

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 118,229, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,025
    Points
    118,229
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 233
    Given: 82

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    Not to open another favorite can of worms on this site, but how could we possibly have the stadium cheer recruits as they go to their seats? We can't even get people into the stadium in time for the opening kick!



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 36,659, Level: 59
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    247cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spring Hill, KS
    Posts
    1,104
    Points
    36,659
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    We just need to find some hotties willing to follow the "Jamie Nolen" plan*: show them around Ames and then offer up a few jobs if they commit. Of course those jobs would be both of the best kinds (H and/or B). Much less work for the general population.


    *see Auburn hostess handbook for plan details



  9. #9
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    Some of you guys think everything is an NCAA violation. Cheering for a recruit as he walks by? That's been done for years and we have done it. The Alabama fan base is just smart enough to do it consistently and *somehow* find out where the players are going to be



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 398,619, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,793
    Points
    398,619
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    What does Auburn do?


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  11. #11
    Recruit
    Points: 6,275, Level: 23
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    109
    Points
    6,275
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Post Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    What does Auburn do?
    The company I work for is HQ'd down in Atlanta, heart of the SEC. The stories I hear are the contributions to the church that Cam Newton's father preaches at went up significantly during his tenure at Auburn.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 27,161, Level: 50
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,891
    Points
    27,161
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    Sounds like Bama is basically flirting with recruiting violations for every visit actually.

    You aren't supposed to "introduce" recruits to the public so they "unintentionally" parade them around the track? And the fans just happen to show up at the restaurant and cheer.
    I thought I heard you can't turn on the lights or scoreboard for the sole purpose of a recruiting visit. I maybe wrong on that, so someone can correct me if they know better.

    There is nothing to stop people from cheering for recruits, but I don't think the PA announcer can get over the loud speaker before kickoff and say, "everybody's attention to the track...please welcome recruit Steele Jantz to the stadium."



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 50,086, Level: 69
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    atlantacyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fontvieille Monaco
    Posts
    4,110
    Points
    50,086
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 9

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedCycloneRed View Post
    What does Auburn do?
    The company I work for is HQ'd down in Atlanta, heart of the SEC. The stories I hear are the contributions to the church that Cam Newton's father preaches at went up significantly during his tenure at Auburn.
    Where do you watch ISU games in Atlanta?



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 113,826, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,774
    Points
    113,826
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 182

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedCycloneRed View Post
    What does Auburn do?
    The company I work for is HQ'd down in Atlanta, heart of the SEC. The stories I hear are the contributions to the church that Cam Newton's father preaches at went up significantly during his tenure at Auburn.
    Laundering $ thru church... Not a bad idea.



  15. #15
    Walk On
    Points: 10,270, Level: 30
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    optimuslott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    152
    Points
    10,270
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    What does Auburn do?
    I live in Auburn. These cats down here know everything there is to know about football. They know who is coming to town, when, where, and how they can get them. Interesting how there have been countless stories about the poverty ridden life Michael Dyer has had and what a miracle it is for him to be here. With such poverty, I find it interesting that he drives around in a brand new Lexus SUV.

    In Alabama, football is life and life is football. The PA doesn't need to announce anything, people merely know that a recruit is there People arrive early and it's easy to spot recruits to cheer them when they walk in (hence letting recruits do the infamous "Tiger Walk"). Either way, the OP is right in that as fans we need to recognize and cheer on recruits. However, we should be cautious to maintain integrity.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM