Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Iowa State and Iowa

Just for discussions sake….

In the conference re-alignment articles I read, the common theme is that Texas and Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, Kansas and Kansas State are joined at the “hip” in any conference moves.

This begs the question why Iowa State is not joined at the “hip” with the folks down the road in Iowa City.

If ISU is shut out of a AQ BCS conference, shouldn’t the Iowa Legislature and the Board of Regents to instruct the State University of Iowa to facilitate ISU’s membership into the B1G, or else leave the B1G and join us in whatever conference we end up in.

We are all Iowans, aren’t we??

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 806
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

Re: Iowa State and Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by IzzoClone View Post

In the conference re-alignment articles I read, the common theme is that Texas and Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, Kansas and Kansas State are joined at the “hip” in any conference moves.

This begs the question why Iowa State is not joined at the “hip” with the folks down the road in Iowa City.

If ISU is shut out of a AQ BCS conference, shouldn’t the Iowa Legislature and the Board of Regents to instruct the State University of Iowa to facilitate ISU’s membership into the B1G, or else leave the B1G and join us in whatever conference we end up in.

Yeah, right. Iowa won't even admit there is another state university.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 139

Not really. Most intelligent Iowans go to ISU and UNI; the rest become Tavern Hawks. EIU is filled with people from Illinois.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 100

Mainly because one of those schools a conference probably wants, where the other is not wanted. This is a way to insure both teams get AQ status by saying, "If you take OU, you have to take OSU as well." It would be worth it to some conferences to go ahead and take them both. Iowa already has a conference, what are they going to do, "Take ISU or we're leaving!" "Umm, OK, go ahead and leave then." Iowa doesn't have the leverage to pull something like that off. And IMO, I'm nost sure that Kansas really holds enough power to really take KSU with them either.

Although, as a State, everyone should be pulling or ISU to land somewhere good, and if possible, look to the Big 10. If ISU falls out of an AQ conference, it's going to be just as bad for the State as a whole, imo as it will be for ISU. This is the reason so many of these States are saying, "If you take one, you have to take two." They know how important it is to the state as a whole and the funding they need.

Last edited by Clonefan94; 09-15-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by mike4cy View Post

BINGO

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 630

First, there's real debate about just how "tied to the hip" OU and OSU and KU and K-State truly are. But the real difference is those schools are all in the same conference, where OU and KU DRE trying to bring OSU and K-State respectively for the ride. Whereas Iowa and ISU are in two separate conferences and Iowa would be trying to pull ISU in. The difference is OU and KU are negotiating from a position of power, whereas Iowa would be negotiating from a position of weakness. If the Pac 12 wants OU desperately enough, they can bring along OSU by making it a condition of joining the conference. Iowa doesn't have that kind of leverage - Iowa can't threaten to leave if they don't vote in ISU - the rest of the schools would volunteer to help pack their bags.

The only way Iowa could find itself in a position of power to get ISU into the B1G is if something similar happens with VA Tech joining the ACC - there were enough existing ACC members that approved of VA Tech's admittance that Virginia became a swing vote, where Virginia's board of regents insisted Virginia vote in VA Tech.

Who, outside of Iowa, would be in favor of ISU? Perhaps Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Penn St (GG's old stomping grounds), and that's just speculation - there are no guarantees that ANY B1G would be interested in adding ISU, which means unless enough schools are already on favor of it, there's not much Iowa can do for us.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 633
    Given: 83

Iowa and ISU hasn't ever been tied together. Have they ever been in the same conference even?

How is it even possible for the two to be tied together? Is Iowa supposed to tell the Big 10 to either take Iowa State or they'll leave?

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    It would be worth it to some conferences to go ahead and take them both. Iowa already has a conference, what are they going to do, "Take ISU or we're leaving!" "Umm, OK, go ahead and leave then." .
    No, but Iowa could stick up for ISU (put it out in the press that they would like ISU to be considered in the B1G) and also let it be known that they intend to vote against any new members that aren't ISU. I think that WOULD help and would also not involve them leaving. At worst, it would get a few other B1G teams mad and at best, could help ISU out of a jam AND help the State of Iowa.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Iowa and ISU hasn't ever been tied together. Have they ever been in the same conference even?

How is it even possible for the two to be tied together? Is Iowa supposed to tell the Big 10 to either take Iowa State or they'll leave?
    Both in the MVC from 1907-1908. Strong ties!!

ISU could've joined the Big Ten back when they added MSU, but we were happy in the Big Eight at the time and NCAA football was a much different landscape. If that had happened I would imagine the bond between the Universities would be much stronger today.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 630

Quote Originally Posted by mike4cy View Post
    BINGO
    Come on, guys, there's a big difference between Tavern Hoks and arseholes like Adrian Clayburn, and the university proper. Iowa and ISU are partners in research and academics and if they had any way of pulling ISU in they would.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Come on, guys, there's a big difference between Tavern Hoks and arseholes like Adrian Clayburn, and the university proper. Iowa and ISU are partners in research and academics and if they had any way of pulling ISU in they would.
    I tend to agree, but I do think even academically there has been some tussles between the two universities. Do you remember the huge outcry from the UI faculty when the BOR ordered their herbarium be moved to Iowa State because of our better facilities and funding?

Small thing I know, but I do think the rivalry runs deep.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 95

Finally, we can shout down this ridiculous theory. I have no doubt that the regents/state/u of i would support ISU if the conference collapses and we are trying to get into the B1G. These people get it, they aren't the stupid tavern hawks you see spouting off on the internet. But as others have said, Iowa has no leverage to force the issue. If we were both together in the Big 12 and about to be looking for new homes, I think you would see the schools trying to work together. But as it is, Iowa is already where they need to be and they aren't a big enough power player in the B1G to force the issue. I really don't know what more people want to see out of them at this point.

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Both in the MVC from 1907-1908. Strong ties!!

ISU could've joined the Big Ten back when they added MSU, but we were happy in the Big Eight at the time and NCAA football was a much different landscape. If that had happened I would imagine the bond between the Universities would be much stronger today.

I had never heard this before. I'm curious where you got this information.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 150

I'm glad that ISU and Iowa aren't "joined at the hip". As long as both schools are in AQ conferences, it's better for the state overall to have the two schools in separate conferences, escpecially the way the geography works out for the Big 12 and Big Ten (basically non-overlapping). Huge exposure footprint for the state of Iowa.

For example...

States that travel to the state of Kansas for conference games: Iowa, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri

States that travels to the state of Iowa for conference games: Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Nebraska

If the Big 12 stays intact and expands, there might be a couple of more states added to the list.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 09-15-2011 at 01:41 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
    I had never heard this before. I'm curious where you got this information.
    I don't know about ISU turning down an invite, but they were one of several potential schools to join the Big 10, way back in the 40s, when Chicago left. MSU joined instead.

Big Ten Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Named frequently as conference prospects ever since the Maroon athletics hit the skids following Stagg's departure in 1933, were such schools as Pittsburgh, Nebraska, Michigan State, Notre Dame and Iowa State
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Google News Archive Search

I do know that both Notre Dame and Texas had approached the conference in the past (even as recently as the mid to late 90s, around when PSU was added), but for one reason or another, those never happened.

EDIT: Apparently, Nebraska's entry in 2011 was kind of 100 year wait, from when they were trying to get in but rejected, back in 1911...huh...

Last edited by edr247; 09-15-2011 at 01:36 PM.