Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,963, Level: 60
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,011
    Points
    38,963
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

    Buying house without Realtor

    Long story short we like a house that is for sale by owner that we began looking at before we started working with a realtor. Has anyone purchased a house without a realtor? I have read up a little online and if we do decide to move on this house, we will probably hire a real estate lawyer. What are other peoples experiences or guidance on the issue?


    Hooray for Metaphors!

  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 12,613, Level: 33
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    SwirlingFloater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    590
    Points
    12,613
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 77

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    I have done it before and didn't have any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

    What town? I have real estate attorneys in both Des Moines and Ames that I would recommend if you are interested.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 447,458, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,309
    Points
    447,458
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 7

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    Get an attorney and forget the realtor.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 22,701, Level: 46
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 849
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    isunorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,211
    Points
    22,701
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    Doesn't cost the buyer anything to use a realtor. May as well have someone that can help you navigate the transaction. Attorney will protect you at the closing table, but the negotiation and the financing process can be more favorable for you if you have an experienced, professional advocate acting on your behalf.

    If it's free, why not do it?



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 44,043, Level: 64
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycloneML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,113
    Points
    44,043
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    Quote Originally Posted by isunorth View Post
    Doesn't cost the buyer anything to use a realtor. May as well have someone that can help you navigate the transaction. Attorney will protect you at the closing table, but the negotiation and the financing process can be more favorable for you if you have an experienced, professional advocate acting on your behalf.

    If it's free, why not do it?
    if its fsbo, seller doesnt want to pay the buying agent.


    Honor Before Victory

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,963, Level: 60
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,011
    Points
    38,963
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    Quote Originally Posted by isunorth View Post
    Doesn't cost the buyer anything to use a realtor. May as well have someone that can help you navigate the transaction. Attorney will protect you at the closing table, but the negotiation and the financing process can be more favorable for you if you have an experienced, professional advocate acting on your behalf.

    If it's free, why not do it?
    We looked at the house on our own before we started using the realtor we currently have. We brought it up to her and she recommended that if we are interested in the house that we take care of it on our own.

    I am sure we could still use a realtor but she made it sound like it was bad thing to do it that way.


    Hooray for Metaphors!

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 35,343, Level: 57
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Me State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    1,642
    Points
    35,343
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    I bought our house FSBO and had no problems. The couple that owned it before us own their own buisness and used their lawyer for all the paperwork. Wells Fargo reviewed all the paperwork to make sure it was legit before they would approve the mortgage. Worked out fine for us and made extra money for the sellers. I would make sure at least you or the seller are competent on the process before going through with it.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 15,943, Level: 38
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    736
    Points
    15,943
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    I bought the house I live in now from the owners and 1 other. Find a realestate lawyer and discuss all the itmes you want included in the sale. You can also use he local multiple listing service to find comparable sales to determime if the price is right. Alway make it subject to a home inspection, appraisal, a clear title of all liens, taxes, judgements and any assoication fees. I have bought 7 houses over the years and I always go through the house with the home inspector pointing out all the things I have discovered and on several occasions I have gotten the seller to pay for repairs or lower the price before the sale went through. Make sure any ernst money is refundable if there are any problems with the home inspection or appraisal.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 42,264, Level: 63
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    JY07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,133
    Points
    42,264
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 5

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    Quote Originally Posted by isunorth View Post
    Doesn't cost the buyer anything to use a realtor. May as well have someone that can help you navigate the transaction. Attorney will protect you at the closing table, but the negotiation and the financing process can be more favorable for you if you have an experienced, professional advocate acting on your behalf.

    If it's free, why not do it?
    if the buyer is the only one bringing money to the table, and both the seller and realtor are getting paid, how the hell is it free?

    the reason your realtor made it sound like you should do it yourself is because if she helped you it would be charity work; i doubt the house owner has any predetermined realtor commission setup and so she wouldn't be getting paid



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,519
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post
    Long story short we like a house that is for sale by owner that we began looking at before we started working with a realtor. Has anyone purchased a house without a realtor? I have read up a little online and if we do decide to move on this house, we will probably hire a real estate lawyer. What are other peoples experiences or guidance on the issue?
    Good real estate lawyer will do it for about $500-750.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    Quote Originally Posted by isunorth View Post
    Doesn't cost the buyer anything to use a realtor. May as well have someone that can help you navigate the transaction. Attorney will protect you at the closing table, but the negotiation and the financing process can be more favorable for you if you have an experienced, professional advocate acting on your behalf.

    If it's free, why not do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneML View Post
    if its fsbo, seller doesnt want to pay the buying agent.
    This is a determining question. It's not uncommon for realtor fees to be 5-6% with half of that going to the buyers broker. If that transaction cost can be avoided, both parties could come out ahead. If a home has already been listed with a realtor, often that commission is already written in stone.

    If you don't really know anything about the real estate market or the process though, a realtor could be valuable. If you only have the one home you are looking at, you might consider seeing if you can hire one on a transactional basis rather than a commission basis.

    I bought my home without a buyers broker, and used that fact as a negotiating tool.


    Seneca Wallace.

  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,963, Level: 60
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,011
    Points
    38,963
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    Quote Originally Posted by NebrClone View Post
    I bought the house I live in now from the owners and 1 other. Find a realestate lawyer and discuss all the itmes you want included in the sale. You can also use he local multiple listing service to find comparable sales to determime if the price is right. Alway make it subject to a home inspection, appraisal, a clear title of all liens, taxes, judgements and any assoication fees. I have bought 7 houses over the years and I always go through the house with the home inspector pointing out all the things I have discovered and on several occasions I have gotten the seller to pay for repairs or lower the price before the sale went through. Make sure any ernst money is refundable if there are any problems with the home inspection or appraisal.
    Would there be more places or websites to find the value of the home?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    This is a determining question. It's not uncommon for realtor fees to be 5-6% with half of that going to the buyers broker. If that transaction cost can be avoided, both parties could come out ahead. If a home has already been listed with a realtor, often that commission is already written in stone.

    If you don't really know anything about the real estate market or the process though, a realtor could be valuable. If you only have the one home you are looking at, you might consider seeing if you can hire one on a transactional basis rather than a commission basis.

    I bought my home without a buyers broker, and used that fact as a negotiating tool.
    Might have to check into this to see what that may cost.


    Hooray for Metaphors!

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 22,701, Level: 46
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 849
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    isunorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,211
    Points
    22,701
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    Worked in the RE business as appraiser, realtor, and lender. Been around this block about 1500 times.

    FSBO this could make a difference if there isn't commission set in stone on the selling side. Still, in this market, seller would be stupid to balk at a qualified offer to save 3%.

    With a realtor, it's not "free" as the seller is baking realtor costs into their list price, but RARELY does a seller agree to sell a house for less because there isn't a realtor on the other side.

    Because most houses transfer with use of a realtor, the entire market has realtor fees baked into prices if you want to look at it that way.

    Not sure where you live, but realtors in most markets have their seller locked in at X% listing fee. They're not giving up half and putting it in anyone else's pocket if buyer-side has no representation.

    If I'm the realtor, I show the seller my contract and tell them they're obligated to pay me X% of the sales price. If they're motivated to sell their house - which they should be in this market - they're going to pull the trigger. The only way I'm giving up half of my commission is to split the difference if it's truly the tipping point between making a deal or not.


    Last edited by isunorth; 09-14-2011 at 09:25 PM.

  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 15,943, Level: 38
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    736
    Points
    15,943
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post
    Would there be more places or websites to find the value of the home?

    Go to the state/city you want, type in the address and look for Home Values tab, it will bring up local sales.

    MLS.com - MLS Listings, Real Estate Property Listings, Homes for Sale

    Might have to check into this to see what that may cost.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 38,836, Level: 60
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,599
    Points
    38,836
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    Re: Buying house without Realtor

    Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post
    if the buyer is the only one bringing money to the table, and both the seller and realtor are getting paid, how the hell is it free?

    the reason your realtor made it sound like you should do it yourself is because if she helped you it would be charity work; i doubt the house owner has any predetermined realtor commission setup and so she wouldn't be getting paid
    actually it's about liability, E&O insurance doesn't cover the transaction and they could lose their Real Estate license for working outside their broker..


    Last edited by Cyforce; 09-14-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    Let Me Mayor Coach!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM