Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Legal help?

  1. #1
    CyBer
    Guest

    Legal help?

    Hey, so I just received a letter from my landlord saying that I am 120 dollars in the hole in late fees because I've been paying rent on the 7th of every month instead of the first.

    I'm using auto pay for my account and put it on the first of every month (to make sure I didn't have to worry about this stuff). Anyways, I call today to my landlord (who is actually a property management company) and they tell me there is nothing they can do to waive the fee.

    It's been a 40 dollar charge for a late fee every month for 3 months now, and they informed me today about it.

    My question is:

    Don't they have to inform me about late fee's on my account so I can resolve them?

    I really don't have the 120 dollars in free cash just sitting around, and I have never been late on a payment in my life. The guy on the phone told me they just got a new system and "informed all the residents" but I don't remember receiving anything.


    Thanks for the help.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Legal help?

    Just bend over and lube up. This won't be the last time you got ****ed.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 40,441, Level: 62
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,209
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyLoboClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    2,435
    Points
    40,441
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

    Re: Legal help?

    pmcs and hoas can sure suck. They are going to screw you on the late fees because they dont make that much money each month. I think they get around 10% of your rent and make more money in "fees."

    I guess that you should know when rent is due and stick to that date. We were screwed by wells fargo once on automatic bill pay- they didnt release the funds to the mortage company for a week and neither the mortgage company nor the bank thought it was their fault. My wife got the bank to reimburse us after she used her firm's letter head. It really sucks that a situation like this could be easily fixed when the land lord mows your lawn and sees you once in a while. In my younger days, I was occasionally late but would immediately give him the check. If you dont know the person/company, then you have to protect yourself from the nickle and dime crap that they assess on you when you are late.

    If you still want to pay on the seventh, could you save your money and advance a month so you wont fall into that? Can you pay on the 15th if you ask them?



  4. #4
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: Legal help?

    You would think they would work with me, I mean I have been living and paying rent on time in this **** hole for almost 2 years now.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 728,059, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,062
    Points
    728,059
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,077
    Given: 572

    Re: Legal help?

    Most of them won't, because they don't have to. If it's in your agreement, and the payment has not been made on the due date, it is what it is.



  6. #6
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 592,484, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    21,910
    Points
    592,484
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 988
    Given: 82

    Re: Legal help?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    You would think they would work with me, I mean I have been living and paying rent on time in this **** hole for almost 2 years now.

    Are you in college?

    If yes, they couldn't possibly care less about you. You are a walking wallet, to them.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 260,858, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    11,173
    Points
    260,858
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Legal help?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    You would think they would work with me, I mean I have been living and paying rent on time in this **** hole for almost 2 years now.
    Why was it paid on the 7th and not the 1st? Did your payment not go through on the 1st or what?


    Team Rainbo_

    Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 23,542, Level: 46
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    HGPuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,102
    Points
    23,542
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

    Re: Legal help?

    Get out the lease you signed and start there. If its cut and dry in the lease there probably isn't much you can do. If they are making up rules on the fly you have a chance. Your problem most likely comes in from using auto-pay and not checking on when payments were received.


    When all is said and done, more is said than done

  9. #9
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: Legal help?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyLoboClone View Post
    pmcs and hoas can sure suck. They are going to screw you on the late fees because they dont make that much money each month. I think they get around 10% of your rent and make more money in "fees."

    I guess that you should know when rent is due and stick to that date. We were screwed by wells fargo once on automatic bill pay- they didnt release the funds to the mortage company for a week and neither the mortgage company nor the bank thought it was their fault. My wife got the bank to reimburse us after she used her firm's letter head. It really sucks that a situation like this could be easily fixed when the land lord mows your lawn and sees you once in a while. In my younger days, I was occasionally late but would immediately give him the check. If you dont know the person/company, then you have to protect yourself from the nickle and dime crap that they assess on you when you are late.

    If you still want to pay on the seventh, could you save your money and advance a month so you wont fall into that? Can you pay on the 15th if you ask them?
    I know when rent is due, it's on the first, what I didn't know is that the autopay system that they "updated" would change the date that my money is sent. I guess I expected them to send me a notice or something after the first late payment instead of waiting for 3 months.

    I also figured they would be nice and waive the fee's because I have never been late before.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 559,601, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,285
    Points
    559,601
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 78

    Re: Legal help?





  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 106,675, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyhawkdmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CB
    Posts
    5,021
    Points
    106,675
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 58

    Re: Legal help?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    You would think they would work with me, I mean I have been living and paying rent on time in this **** hole for almost 2 years now.
    does ISU have anywere students can go for free legal advice?



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 174,460, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    GeronimusClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    174,460
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Legal help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Are you in college?

    If yes, they couldn't possibly care less about you. You are a walking wallet, to them.
    Especially in Ames.


    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 23,542, Level: 46
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    HGPuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,102
    Points
    23,542
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

    Re: Legal help?

    Also, you say you have been living there for two years. Had you making making auto-pay payments exactly the same in the past and then it was a procedural change on their end that caused this now? If so I don't see any way they wouldn't have to provide you notice. They say they did, but they would have to prove that.


    When all is said and done, more is said than done

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 33,797, Level: 56
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boone (not Marshalltown)
    Posts
    1,332
    Points
    33,797
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 83

    Re: Legal help?

    Quote Originally Posted by HGPuck View Post
    Get out the lease you signed and start there. If its cut and dry in the lease there probably isn't much you can do. If they are making up rules on the fly you have a chance. Your problem most likely comes in from using auto-pay and not checking on when payments were received.
    This. It's whatever your lease says.


    "If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - don't exaggerate!"

  15. #15
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: Legal help?

    Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post
    that is what the letter was for and basically said



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM