Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Rivals columnists list their big 64...ISU not included!

I hope everyone has had the chance to read the Rivals article regarding who they think should be included in a super conference scenario with 64 teams. If you haven't, here it is.

Superconferences: Which 64 teams belong?

I said it a while back, and I was confident then when I said it. We aren't a top 64 team program, but we are a top 80 and surely a top 96. I thought it would be a good idea to advocate for bringing more (even if smaller) schools into the Super Conference mix because it would help us secure our spot. Now I'm afraid a proactive approach to expanding the Big 12 to a 16 team super conference is going to be too late, and we'll be left in the dust.

If you didn't read the thread, I thought UNLV, Boise State, TCU, Air Force, BYU, SMU and Houston would be great additions to the Big 12 after aTm left. I was called crazy, stupid, naive, and that I lacked a clear understanding of the conditions that exist in college athletics at the time. One of my lead arguments is that I don't think we make the cut if we go to 4, 16 team superconferences. I think college football would be hurt if we reduced, instead of expanded the landscape of possible teams that could compete for a National Championship, and that we would secure our spot at the table if we were a part of an active charge to legitimize up and coming or smaller programs and possibly sacrifice a little revenue for the greater good of more schools and proactively be a part of expanding the conference. Now I look at this article and I'm disappointed (but not surprised) that not one of the 5 columnists included us in their top 64.

Honor before Victory

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 272

Re: Rivals columnists list their big 64...ISU not included!

Quote Originally Posted by ljhlax View Post
    I hope everyone has had the chance to read the Rivals article regarding who they think should be included in a super conference scenario with 64 teams. If you haven't, here it is.

I said it a while back, and I was confident then when I said it. We aren't a top 64 team program, but we are a top 80 and surely a top 96. I thought it would be a good idea to advocate for bringing more (even if smaller) schools into the Super Conference mix because it would help us secure our spot. Now I'm afraid a proactive approach to expanding the Big 12 to a 16 team super conference is going to be too late, and we'll be left in the dust.

If you didn't read the thread, I thought UNLV, Boise State, TCU, Air Force, BYU, SMU and Houston would be great additions to the Big 12 after aTm left. I was called crazy, stupid, naive, and that I lacked a clear understanding of the conditions that exist in college athletics at the time. One of my lead arguments is that I don't think we make the cut if we go to 4, 16 team superconferences. I think college football would be hurt if we reduced, instead of expanded the landscape of possible teams that could compete for a National Championship, and that we would secure our spot at the table if we were a part of an active charge to legitimize up and coming or smaller programs and possibly sacrifice a little revenue for the greater good of more schools and proactively be a part of expanding the conference. Now I look at this article and I'm disappointed (but not surprised) that not one of the 5 columnists included us in their top 64.

It is too early for me to care that much about things like a Top 64 list. The Iowa win was great, but I don't think we should care about any of the rankings until after the Texas game. Right now, rankings are more about PR and history than football.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 390

Already posted.

Practice reading comprehension or using the search bar.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

**** 'em.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    Already posted.

Practice reading comprehension or using the search bar.
    Well, aren't you a helpful dick. Thanks for the link too. Your tactful approach is very much appreciated.

Honor before Victory

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 390

Well, aren't you a helpful dick. Thanks for the link too. Your tactful approach is very much appreciated.
    I'm not the government, so I shouldnt have to do everything for you!

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

My original 16 Big 12 Conference thread http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...onference.html

and the other Rivals thread on the subject.
    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...t-out-bcs.html

I hope this helps anyone who may have glanced over them or didn't see them.

Honor before Victory

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Any list that leaves out a current member of the Pac-12, SEC, Big Ten, or ACC is entirely worthless and doesn't even merit discussion. In other words, every single list in that link.

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 1

Well, Rivals isn't shaping the landscape of collegiate athletics, thankfully there are some other morons doing that.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

I know the lists can be picked apart, but I think the consistency with sentiment from all of them is what has always gotten to me. It is pretty clear we carry a lot of respect from certain areas in this country. Our fan base is spectacular, but just as consistent is the media snub we always receive. I had about 10 people come up to me after church on Sunday night here in Michigan telling me they thought about me when they caught the end of the Iowa / Iowa State game which eventually led to a Michigan / Notre Dame discussion, but their wasn't even a small blurb in the paper. I've had dozens of serious conversations with ND, Mich, Mich. St. Wisconsin and Illinois fans about what happens when the Big 12 dissolves. All have said they'd love to see ISU added to the B1G. One even said, it would make up for the academic hit the B1G took when they added Nebraska. Unfortunately, ISU never is mentioned in B1G expansion articles, hypotheticals or media analysis. Notre Dame, Pitt, Cinci, and Mizzou are always subjects of expansion around here, and sometimes Rutgers.

I guess what I'm saying is when we take our ISU blinders off, some of us actually see a different view of the top 64 and as much as we want ISU to be included, for most regions out there we just don't cut it. The good news is, I don't think we are in as bad a shape as the University of Chicago when they were booted from the Big 10, but I think it is in the interest of all ISU fans to realize that 4 superconferences is a TERRIBLE idea. Sure superconferences may be manufactured by the media, but strange things are happening on the College Football landscape.

Honor before Victory

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Everyone listed Boise State in their 64 which means those idiots don't have a freakin clue what they are talking about. The P12 will never ever take Boise State in their conference and neither will any other proposed superconference.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,235
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

Iowa State is a member of the elite AAU, enrolls 30,000 students, has excellent athletic facilities, and has one of the top rated overall athletic departments in the country. I would be absolutely shocked if they were somehow excluded from the 64.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    Everyone listed Boise State in their 64 which means those idiots don't have a freakin clue what they are talking about. The P12 will never ever take Boise State in their conference and neither will any other proposed superconference.
    Yes...it's easy for the media to sit back and say Boise State to the Pac 16, but that'll never happen

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,209
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

the thing that totally sucks is that with 64, you could have a shot at a playoff system that works. I would be in favor of that. But **** that if ISU doesn't get into it.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Would someone enlighten me on the huge difference between us and Kansas State? Why are they involved in everyone's list (not just rivals) and we're not?