Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

What happens if Big XII implodes?

Here is a question I have if the Big XII continues to disintegrate: What happens to our wrestling program?

Collegiate wrestling programs are getting to be fewer and fewer in number as the years go by. And Iowa State has an incredibly rich history and tradition as a top wrestling school. If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State both bail out of the Big XII, that leaves ISU as one of the lone remaining programs. Nebraska has already left for the B1G.

Worst of all, if Iowa State's best scenario for landing in a BCS conference really is the Big East, then our wrestling program is hosed because there are no wrestling programs at any school in the Big East.

Thus, our best chance for wrestling would be to see ISU land in the B1G, which we all know that the U of I will fight tooth and nail to keep ISU out. In that case, ISU's best bet would be to become an independent wrestling school, which does not bode well for the program, recruiting-wise.

This whole realignment issue does not bode well for one of the traditionally great college wrestling programs. I fear for Coach Jackson, our athletes and ISU in general if this happens.....

Just my take...

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 18

Re: What happens if Big XII implodes?

I'm far from well informed on the wrestling scene, but wouldn't we likely just join the gateway for wrestling (I think it's gateway, the one UNI wrestles in).

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,757
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

If the worst case scenario actually played out wouldn't ISU be able to join the B1G just for wrestling? Or one of the other major conferences?

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 887
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 99

Iowa State can still compete in wrestling without the Big XII. We could always be a part of the Western Wrestling Conference and still wrestle the likes of Iowa, Minnesota, Arizona St, Cornell, Virginia Tech, etc. to name a few we have wrestled in the last few years who aren't Big XII members. Wrestling conferences are quite as important compared to football.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I know Pitt has wrestling, but I don't know about rest. I don't think PAC has wrestling so maybe the former big 8,not NU, with Pitt and maybe somebody else could make one.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 388
    Given: 313

Quote Originally Posted by Isuska View Post
    Iowa State can still compete in wrestling without the Big XII. We could always be a part of the Western Wrestling Conference and still wrestle the likes of Iowa, Minnesota, Arizona St, Cornell, Virginia Tech, etc. to name a few we have wrestled in the last few years who aren't Big XII members. Wrestling conferences are quite as important compared to football.

It is the same for Gymnastics (now down to Iowa State, Oklahoma, and Missouri). The Big 12 Conference dimension is not really a big deal, other than for some bragging rights. The season includes lots of non-conference competition and the post-season is determined entirely by scores and regions, not conferences.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by peter.bieber View Post
    Here is a question I have if the Big XII continues to disintegrate: What happens to our wrestling program?

Collegiate wrestling programs are getting to be fewer and fewer in number as the years go by. And Iowa State has an incredibly rich history and tradition as a top wrestling school. If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State both bail out of the Big XII, that leaves ISU as one of the lone remaining programs. Nebraska has already left for the B1G.

Worst of all, if Iowa State's best scenario for landing in a BCS conference really is the Big East, then our wrestling program is hosed because there are no wrestling programs at any school in the Big East.

Thus, our best chance for wrestling would be to see ISU land in the B1G, which we all know that the U of I will fight tooth and nail to keep ISU out. In that case, ISU's best bet would be to become an independent wrestling school, which does not bode well for the program, recruiting-wise.

This whole realignment issue does not bode well for one of the traditionally great college wrestling programs. I fear for Coach Jackson, our athletes and ISU in general if this happens.....

Just my take...
    ISU to Big East would potentially be a great thing for the sport as it may allow the conference to officially adopt wrestling. If not, it would probably do something similar to what the Pac 12 does. I think Oklahoma/State wrestling hast the most to lose out of conference expansion. Competing out west will eventually lead to apathy for those great programs. ISU would be fine in a conference or as an independent.

Kinnick smells like syrup.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 221
    Given: 76

So from what I can tell here, the PAC and Big East don't have wrestling now and in the near future the Big 12 may not either? Well, there are plenty of great schools in those conferences with a thriving athletic departments and they seem to be doing just fine. I really don't think it matters much at all for the school or the AD where wrestling ends up.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

if the big 12 implodes ill rejoice because these dumb threads would finally stop and we could get on with our lives

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 887
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 99

current "conferences" are: Big 10, ACC, Big XII, CAA (binghampton, old dominion, etc.), East Region (gardner-webb, liberty, etc.), EIWA (Cornell, Lehigh, etc.), EWL (Pitt, West Virginia, etc.), Mac (kent st, central michigan, etc.), Pac 10 (boise st, oregon st, etc.), SoCon (Tenn-Chatt, etc.), and the Western Wrestling (UNI, Wyoming, the dakotas, etc.)

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 758
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 13

If the Big 12 goes by the wayside, I think you might see the NCAA go to a regional qualifier set up for wrestling. It may be coming even if there aren't major conference shake ups, as even if there aren't any other conference changes, the Big 12 is not a viable entity as it sits now for wrestling.

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 6

The biggest thing will be whether we have to money to afford the coaches and facilities to continue to compete at the highest level in the Olympic sports.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 83

I don't think wrestling at Iowa State will go away anytime soon. We have a good fan base and great history. I think the wrestling community will make sure Iowa State is competitive for years to come.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Quote Originally Posted by peter.bieber View Post

Just my take...
    You bring up an interesting topic.

What happens to Wrestling?

• It'll be a Big 10 sport.
    • Missouri to the SEC. No SEC school has wrestling.
    • OU and OSU to the Pac 12. Only ASU has wrestling.

What happens to Basketball and all women sports?

• These sports get damaged.
    • What about the basketball only Big East schools. When do they rise up and add their influence?

Extra travel costs will really hurt schools.

• Winter travel
    • Delays
    • Flight cancellations
    • Missed classes
    • Distances so far that no one can travel via bus or car.
    • Ames is close to DSM. What about Manhattan, KS. It's close to no where.
    • Pullman, WA? Please all laugh now.
    • DSM to Providence, RI?

These sportswriters don't mention expenses, traditions or rivalries or the harm to minor sports.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

form a seperate independent conference with oklahoma,mizzou,okie state,isu. pick up some of the big ten teams and add them to an independent conference. it would be a good chance to develop iowa state into a wrestling power to beat iowa and penn state where our old body sanderson is. would love to stuff cael baby!!!!!! add some of our small independent schools like cornell(cedar rapids),william jewel, nw missouri state,graceland(lamoni,iowa) if some of these smaller schools still have wrestling programs. some of these smaller schools have had some pretty decent wrestlers over the years...get texas,baylor, texas teach, to add wrestling to their programs. wrestling in texas high schools has become very popular in the past ten years..

doc