Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 19,741, Level: 42
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    480
    Points
    19,741
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 33

    ISU and our public image

    I think we all have a bit of an inferiority complex here and I'm getting tired of it. You know what, screw the media, screw anyone that wants to talk down to ISU.

    We need to get some balls and start telling people that we are proud of our school for all the reasons listed in this article Worthiness question of Big 12 programs insulting - National voices - MercedSun-Star.com and more. JP or GG need to get out there and let people know exactly what we have to offer not only a conference, but our student athletes and turn this media thing around.

    Who is running PR for ISU anyway? This whole thing is ******** and these "academic" leaders need to rethink their priorities before sending their student athletes to play in a 3 time zone conference. Why aren't our people out there making these guys look like complete ******** for treating their student athletes as if they are simply tools for financial gain.

    Get us, Baylor, KU, MU and even TX because they don't want to lose the Big 12 either and go on a PR campaign about doing what's right for our student athletes. Let's be leaders in the media not the ones to get dumped on. Talk about why we are strong because I'm sick of hearing about why we aren't because it's all BS!



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 33,348, Level: 56
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,148
    Points
    33,348
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 18

    Re: ISU and our public image

    love the passion, i mostly agree, and you sound like a eminem song...



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 85,844, Level: 91
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,606
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,215
    Points
    85,844
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 838
    Given: 44

    Re: ISU and our public image

    Why don't you send an email to the athletic department to get the ball rolling then, instead of a message board.

    And just to play devil's advocate, student athletes have carried the financial burden of schools for a long time. If they didn't, we'd be playing in a conference with Iowa, UNI, South Dakota State, Drake, Minnesota and etc. If we were so worried about the travel time of our student athletes, we wouldn't be in a conference with four schools in Texas.



  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 19,741, Level: 42
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    480
    Points
    19,741
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 33

    Re: ISU and our public image

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Why don't you send an email to the athletic department to get the ball rolling then, instead of a message board.

    And just to play devil's advocate, student athletes have carried the financial burden of schools for a long time. If they didn't, we'd be playing in a conference with Iowa, UNI, South Dakota State, Drake, Minnesota and etc. If we were so worried about the travel time of our student athletes, we wouldn't be in a conference with four schools in Texas.
    It isn't the distance, it's the time zones. West coast people playing an 11am game in the Midwest are playing a 9am game. A 7pm kickoff on the West coast is a 9pm kickoff for a Midwest school. That is the issue.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 138,048, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,341
    Points
    138,048
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 365
    Given: 332

    Re: ISU and our public image

    Flights from DSM to Texas are shorter than the bus ride to Nebraska.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 51,524, Level: 70
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,026
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    isukendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    1,847
    Points
    51,524
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 63

    Re: ISU and our public image

    Dunno about you guys, but as a born and raised Husker fan who is now and forever a full-time Cyclone fan, I have a huge chip on my shoulder. I'm not saying we should be as obnoxiously confident as Nebraska or Iowa, but it should certainly be a step above what it has been. We can compete with these guys!

    -Beat Nebraska at home two years ago
    -Beat Texas at home
    -Ran Nebraska to overtime
    -Beat Iowa in overtime

    I bring these programs up because they're often the ones we're compared against. Who says that these programs are better than us? History? Throw that out the window. I would argue that we're on a pretty level playing field with them. I think WE see that, but what we need is an '05 year without the meltdowns. We need to work our way up the rankings and end the season ranked. It will change the national perception of ISU.

    Good showings in volleyball, basketball, wrestling couldn't hurt either, and are certainly possibilities the way the teams are shaking up. Right now is a great time to be an ISU fan, because we will witness the paradigm shift from relative obscurity to something brand new to us, national relevance. Fire up.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 19,741, Level: 42
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    480
    Points
    19,741
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 33

    Re: ISU and our public image

    Just sent an email to the Presidents office and the Athletic department. I suggest more do the same and ask them to speak on our behalf because we're tired of the national media negatively influencing how we are perceived. That's the responsibility of the ISU PR department and we need to get out in front of this thing rather than sit in the corner while people that have probably never stepped foot on our campus take pot shots at us!

    Here are the email addresses...

    president@iastate.edu
    athletics@iastate.edu



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 25,069, Level: 48
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ty4cy90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames/Spirit Lake
    Posts
    973
    Points
    25,069
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU and our public image

    I would also like to add the BOR to that list. They're the ones that concern me, not Geoffroy or the Athletic Department; let them work behind the scene so we don't end up looking bad. Plus, it's only a few powerful people (commissioners, AD's of certain schools, and Presidents), that control this whole thing anyways.

    Look at Mssouri's Board. They just called a special meeting to most likely discuss the issue. With having two major BCS schools, I don't know how concerned or informed they actually are, and who knows if Branstad is pressing the issue, I hope for Iowa's economic well-being and prestige he is.


    Hilton Coliseum was specifically built to hold in sound with a solid concrete structure, steel doors, and a crowd that sits just a few feet from the court. With a fan base that frequently ranks among the nations largest crowds, players from opposing teams, as well as Iowa State, have said that the floor has shaken due to the loudness of the crowd

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 469,555, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,701
    Points
    469,555
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

    Re: ISU and our public image

    Quote Originally Posted by oldwiseman View Post
    Just sent an email to the Presidents office and the Athletic department. I suggest more do the same and ask them to speak on our behalf because we're tired of the national media negatively influencing how we are perceived. That's the responsibility of the ISU PR department and we need to get out in front of this thing rather than sit in the corner while people that have probably never stepped foot on our campus take pot shots at us!

    Here are the email addresses...

    president@iastate.edu
    athletics@iastate.edu
    Quote Originally Posted by ty4cy90 View Post
    I would also like to add the BOR to that list. They're the ones that concern me, not Geoffroy or the Athletic Department; let them work behind the scene so we don't end up looking bad. Plus, it's only a few powerful people (commissioners, AD's of certain schools, and Presidents), that control this whole thing anyways.

    Look at Mssouri's Board. They just called a special meeting to most likely discuss the issue. With having two major BCS schools, I don't know how concerned or informed they actually are, and who knows if Branstad is pressing the issue, I hope for Iowa's economic well-being and prestige he is.
    What a great idea - a bunch of internet message board jockeys tying up JP's and GG's time by sending them e-mails telling them that they don't know how to do their respective jobs...

    It's truly amazing how many people out there truly believe JP and GG aren't currently doing everything within their power to make sure ISU has a soft landing spot, assuming they haven't pulled it off yet. And, because they're not using the media as a mouthpiece they must not be doing anything whatsoever. What a bunch of whiny *******! When is the last time JP was vocal about ANYTHING? Yet things have always turned out alright. How did the vocal approach work out for Mizzou last year? Not at all, and in fact it just allowed them to get played by the Big 10 last year. As for Baylor, their vocality has kept the conference together in the interim, but does anyone think that will truly last? Doubtful. And it certainly isn't going to help them into their next conference, either.

    THE LAST THING JP should be doing is become a mouthpiece just to ease the fears of panicking Cyclone fans. It will do nothing other than turn us into an institution that nobody wants to deal with. I mean, look at Mizzou this year - all quiet except for denying reports. You think they might have learned a lesson or two from last year?

    However, if people want to send JP and GG e-mails thanking them for their hard work and encouragement, they would probably appreciate that very much. Probably a lot more than some whiny fans implying that they could do their jobs better than they are...


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 469,555, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,701
    Points
    469,555
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

    Re: ISU and our public image

    And just to further prove my point that playing this in the media is a bad idea - think back to last week when it went public that ISU wasn't giving up its rights to litigate against A&M. The public outcry from the media was outrage! All they could say was "how DARE ISU force A&M to stay on the Big 12 by suing them for damages!" when first that wasn't what ISU said (that we weren't giving JP our rights, not that we were going to), and second NO Big 12 school up to that point had given up their rights - but yet ISU was the school that was the delta bravo in this.

    If the media can't be trusted to not slander ISU by reporting stories based off misinformation or outright lies, why would you use them as your sounding board to shoehorn your way into a conference? It will only turn out badly.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 208,986, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    9,352
    Points
    208,986
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 692

    Re: ISU and our public image

    I'm putting more faith in JP and GG then media or message boards....

    Sorry oldwiseman.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 559,761, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,299
    Points
    559,761
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 86

    Re: ISU and our public image

    If the media can't be trusted to not slander ISU by reporting stories based off misinformation or outright lies, why would you use them as your sounding board to shoehorn your way into a conference? It will only turn out badly.
    I don't believe this is what people are trying to do. They are trying to end the "slanderous", negative outlook of ISU in general not just related to athletics. However, it's not really worth the time and effort right now. JP and GG have better things to do than pump ISU sunshine at this time.




  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 25,069, Level: 48
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ty4cy90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames/Spirit Lake
    Posts
    973
    Points
    25,069
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU and our public image

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    What a great idea - a bunch of internet message board jockeys tying up JP's and GG's time by sending them e-mails telling them that they don't know how to do their respective jobs...

    It's truly amazing how many people out there truly believe JP and GG aren't currently doing everything within their power to make sure ISU has a soft landing spot, assuming they haven't pulled it off yet. And, because they're not using the media as a mouthpiece they must not be doing anything whatsoever. What a bunch of whiny *******! When is the last time JP was vocal about ANYTHING? Yet things have always turned out alright. How did the vocal approach work out for Mizzou last year? Not at all, and in fact it just allowed them to get played by the Big 10 last year. As for Baylor, their vocality has kept the conference together in the interim, but does anyone think that will truly last? Doubtful. And it certainly isn't going to help them into their next conference, either.

    THE LAST THING JP should be doing is become a mouthpiece just to ease the fears of panicking Cyclone fans. It will do nothing other than turn us into an institution that nobody wants to deal with. I mean, look at Mizzou this year - all quiet except for denying reports. You think they might have learned a lesson or two from last year?

    However, if people want to send JP and GG e-mails thanking them for their hard work and encouragement, they would probably appreciate that very much. Probably a lot more than some whiny fans implying that they could do their jobs better than they are...
    1. Last summer I sent an email to GG thanking him for his hard work because I believe he played a big role in reallignment, and I have had a lot of personal interaction with him as well and he is a great guy.

    2. I didn't advocate to send GG or JP emails saying to do their job better. I said I was concerned about the BOR and it might help to email them; I believe Greta Johnson, is a young ISU graduate on the board. However, I don't think it's bad to let GG and JP know that Cyclone nation is concerned, which I'm sure they're aware of. That is in no way whining.


    Hilton Coliseum was specifically built to hold in sound with a solid concrete structure, steel doors, and a crowd that sits just a few feet from the court. With a fan base that frequently ranks among the nations largest crowds, players from opposing teams, as well as Iowa State, have said that the floor has shaken due to the loudness of the crowd

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Points: 19,741, Level: 42
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    480
    Points
    19,741
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 33

    Re: ISU and our public image

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    What a great idea - a bunch of internet message board jockeys tying up JP's and GG's time by sending them e-mails telling them that they don't know how to do their respective jobs...

    It's truly amazing how many people out there truly believe JP and GG aren't currently doing everything within their power to make sure ISU has a soft landing spot, assuming they haven't pulled it off yet. And, because they're not using the media as a mouthpiece they must not be doing anything whatsoever. What a bunch of whiny *******! When is the last time JP was vocal about ANYTHING? Yet things have always turned out alright. How did the vocal approach work out for Mizzou last year? Not at all, and in fact it just allowed them to get played by the Big 10 last year. As for Baylor, their vocality has kept the conference together in the interim, but does anyone think that will truly last? Doubtful. And it certainly isn't going to help them into their next conference, either.

    THE LAST THING JP should be doing is become a mouthpiece just to ease the fears of panicking Cyclone fans. It will do nothing other than turn us into an institution that nobody wants to deal with. I mean, look at Mizzou this year - all quiet except for denying reports. You think they might have learned a lesson or two from last year?

    However, if people want to send JP and GG e-mails thanking them for their hard work and encouragement, they would probably appreciate that very much. Probably a lot more than some whiny fans implying that they could do their jobs better than they are...
    I think there is a misunderstanding here. I'm not talking about going out and whining about what people are saying. I'm just talking about getting some press regarding the positive qualities of ISU. If you read the article that I posted in my first message, you will see that articles can be written that are positive toward ISU. Our local media has done nothing. In no way did I say GG and JP need to get out with a bull horn. The ISU PR department needs to do it's job in my opinion and control the message and perhaps influence a change in the perception of ISU. Most people don't know about our nationally ranked volleyball program, wrestling program, womens bball program. They don't realize we had a home winning streak of 39 games in mens bball while winning two big XII titles. They don't realize the two best wrestlers in the history of the sport were from ISU, Dan Gable and Cale Sanderson. Most people think Dan Gable went to Iowa. They don't realize that we used to have legendary football coaches here. They don't know the history of Jack Trice. They don't know that our attendance compares favorably to many BCS schools. They don't realize we went to 6 bowl games in the last 10 years. They don't realize that we have a winning record vs Kirk Ferentz. They don't know that we invented the computer. They don't know that we were part of the Manhattan project. They don't even know that we are an AAU school. They think we are nothing.

    To me, getting a few people to write articles about the positives of ISU is exactly what we need. The articles get picked up and reprinted all over the country because the Big XII is a hot topic right now. What better time to start getting some positive media out there. People might actually read it. 6 months from now, no one will care!



  15. #15
    Walk On
    Points: 8,605, Level: 27
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    141
    Points
    8,605
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU and our public image

    Quote Originally Posted by oldwiseman View Post
    I think there is a misunderstanding here. I'm not talking about going out and whining about what people are saying. I'm just talking about getting some press regarding the positive qualities of ISU. If you read the article that I posted in my first message, you will see that articles can be written that are positive toward ISU. Our local media has done nothing. In no way did I say GG and JP need to get out with a bull horn. The ISU PR department needs to do it's job in my opinion and control the message and perhaps influence a change in the perception of ISU. Most people don't know about our nationally ranked volleyball program, wrestling program, womens bball program. They don't realize we had a home winning streak of 39 games in mens bball while winning two big XII titles. They don't realize the two best wrestlers in the history of the sport were from ISU, Dan Gable and Cale Sanderson. Most people think Dan Gable went to Iowa. They don't realize that we used to have legendary football coaches here. They don't know the history of Jack Trice. They don't know that our attendance compares favorably to many BCS schools. They don't realize we went to 6 bowl games in the last 10 years. They don't realize that we have a winning record vs Kirk Ferentz. They don't know that we invented the computer. They don't know that we were part of the Manhattan project. They don't even know that we are an AAU school. They think we are nothing.

    To me, getting a few people to write articles about the positives of ISU is exactly what we need. The articles get picked up and reprinted all over the country because the Big XII is a hot topic right now. What better time to start getting some positive media out there. People might actually read it. 6 months from now, no one will care!


    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM