Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 11,780, Level: 32
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    758
    Points
    11,780
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    Does anybody think ISU can play like this for the rest of the season? ISU always steps up their game for Iowa. Do you think with Coach Chizik maybe the players are catching on to the type of system and playing ability he has been teaching them? Think the O-line will keep it up and the defense continue to play this well? If they play like they did today for the rest of the season there is no reason they can't win 5 or 6 games still. I know I might be dreaming but we did just win a big game. What does everyone think?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 50,968, Level: 69
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AirWalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,731
    Points
    50,968
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    I think they stand a reasonable chance of beating Toledo next weekend. This game was a huge, huge confidence booster for the team, and it will carry them as far as they want it to. A win at Toledo, and a good game in Lincoln will reverse this season 180 degrees.


    Go Sssssssssyclones!

  3. #3
    Prospect
    Points: 6,705, Level: 24
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    east central iowa
    Posts
    43
    Points
    6,705
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    All I want to see this year is improvement evey week. Wins will be bonuses. My opinion is that we have been seeing steady improvement every week.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    It will be interesting to see how this plays out - the defense played a heck of a game today but the offense wasn't quite able to finish it in the first half and wasn't getting much at all in the 2nd half - unfortuantly that was looking familiar for a while

    The crowd today was certinaly into it and they won't be getting that (atleast not a friendly crowd) for a month.

    However with a little luck they'll let this win be their momentum for Toledo and maybe things will go from there - I unfortuantly think it's too early to tell



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 213,739, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,063
    Points
    213,739
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 13

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    If ISU can maintain this, then they'll be bowling. Who'd a thought after the UNI loss?

    But, they have to keep this up. And, they need to keep up the confidence.

    They also better hope Iowa just isn't that bad - or maybe that's just me.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 50,968, Level: 69
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AirWalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,731
    Points
    50,968
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    If ISU can maintain this, then they'll be bowling. Who'd a thought after the UNI loss?

    But, they have to keep this up. And, they need to keep up the confidence.

    They also better hope Iowa just isn't that bad - or maybe that's just me.
    Bowling is going to be hard. Unless a miracle takes place, this team will be 4-8 or 5-7 by season's end.


    Go Sssssssssyclones!

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 21,644, Level: 44
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Arkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bella Vista, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,404
    Points
    21,644
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 35

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    Quote Originally Posted by kurimski View Post
    Does anybody think ISU can play like this for the rest of the season? ISU always steps up their game for Iowa. Do you think with Coach Chizik maybe the players are catching on to the type of system and playing ability he has been teaching them? Think the O-line will keep it up and the defense continue to play this well? If they play like they did today for the rest of the season there is no reason they can't win 5 or 6 games still. I know I might be dreaming but we did just win a big game. What does everyone think?
    That's a really good question...honestly who knows? We'll find out 7 days from now when we take on Toledo on their turf. If we beat them then I'll start to circle future games as possible wins. It all comes down to one game at a time.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 213,739, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,063
    Points
    213,739
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 13

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    Bowling is going to be hard. Unless a miracle takes place, this team will be 4-8 or 5-7 by season's end.
    Brett Meyer played the game of his career today. I listened to it on the radio, and it sounds like his passes were crisp and right on the numbers.

    The ISU defense seemed improved, although who knows what that means against the Iowa offense. But if they play like this, they can win.

    Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska are the only given losses I see. Outside of them, ISU can win 6 more games.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 100,004, Level: 98
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    huntt26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    po' dUnk
    Posts
    7,694
    Points
    100,004
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 26

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    Texas isn't looking too sharp as of yet... wouldn't that be quite the day in ames?



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 213,739, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,063
    Points
    213,739
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 13

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    I'd even riot if ISU beats Texas this year. Not even lying.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 99,196, Level: 98
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,854
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tejasclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    5,856
    Points
    99,196
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 71

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    Brett Meyer played the game of his career today. I listened to it on the radio, and it sounds like his passes were crisp and right on the numbers.

    The ISU defense seemed improved, although who knows what that means against the Iowa offense. But if they play like this, they can win.

    Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska are the only given losses I see. Outside of them, ISU can win 6 more games.
    No, the game of Bret Meyer's career was against A&M in 2005, or Nebraska in 2004. He was solid in this game, but definitely not spectacular.

    The biggest difference between this game and our first 2 was that we didn't fumble any punts. We made nearly all of our field goals. We played tough defense and seemed to mostly make good decisions at QB. We moved the ball pretty well between the 30s but it just killed me that we couldn't do a thing inside the 25.

    I think we will continue to improve. I just hope that this team doesn't suffer from the remainder of the season letdown we have historically always endured after playing Iowa. I don't think Chizik will let that happen. Next week's game now becomes huge.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 213,739, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,063
    Points
    213,739
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 13

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    No, the game of Bret Meyer's career was against A&M in 2005, or Nebraska in 2004. He was solid in this game, but definitely not spectacular.

    The biggest difference between this game and our first 2 was that we didn't fumble any punts. We made nearly all of our field goals. We played tough defense and seemed to mostly make good decisions at QB. We moved the ball pretty well between the 30s but it just killed me that we couldn't do a thing inside the 25.

    I think we will continue to improve. I just hope that this team doesn't suffer from the remainder of the season letdown we have historically always endured after playing Iowa. I don't think Chizik will let that happen. Next week's game now becomes huge.
    I dunno - 21 for 29 and 200 yards isn't bad.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  13. #13
    cyclONEnation
    Points: 236,443, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    C.John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    15,431
    Points
    236,443
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 44

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    I dunno - 21 for 29 and 200 yards isn't bad.
    21 of 29 for 157 yards. But I'd take an extra 43 yards if you're giving them away.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 24,871, Level: 48
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kentkel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grinnell
    Posts
    1,115
    Points
    24,871
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 227

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    I dunno - 21 for 29 and 200 yards isn't bad.
    SouthernHawk -
    Just wondering if this "career game" was a comment made by the U of Iowa broadcasters (Ed & Dolph) or was it something you deduced based on what you heard. The reason for my curiosity was whether these broadcasters gave Iowa State much credit. Because, while I agree Meyer had a great game, it was far from his best career performance. He has had much better games against much better opponents in the past (see previous post alluding to NU & A&M games). Peace!!

    Oh, & concerning the original post - I certainly hope the team doesn't play like it played today - if you catch my drift - because I want to see them play better & better each week so that by the end of the year we may actually have a winning record!


    Last edited by kentkel; 09-15-2007 at 08:54 PM.
    Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 213,739, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,063
    Points
    213,739
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 13

    Re: Can they play like this the rest of the season?

    Quote Originally Posted by kentkel View Post
    SouthernHawk -
    Just wondering if this "career game" was a comment made by the U of Iowa broadcasters (Ed & Dolph) or was it something you deduced based on what you heard. The reason for my curiosity was whether these broadcasters gave Iowa State much credit. Because, while I agree Meyer had a great game, it was far from his best career performance. He has had much better games against much better opponents in the past (see previous post alluding to NU & A&M games). Peace!!
    It's my opinion. He's had other good games, but to come out of the rut he was in and have the performance he did today - that's a career performance.

    Just my $.02


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM