Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 139

Interviewing or contacting potential recruits

This thread is to discuss the ramifications of who can and cannot contact a potential recruit.

In response to a concern over CF interviewing recruits...

I do see where you are coming from on this regarding boosters interviewing players. This has become a known issue throughout college sports and is something the NCAA is cracking down on globally.

The issue refered to if a person is not considered a "media reporter" but is only viewed as a booster, there can be issues with them directly contacting a recruit. However, if one is considered a member of the press, they can have direct contact with a recruit or potential recruit so long as the University and it's direct employees have nothing to do with the interview or the interview process.

I have worked with ISU regarding my official status and actually have a meeting this evening with them again to further solidify things on paper.

Last edited by Jeremy; 08-22-2006 at 11:18 AM.
    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Jeremy, I sure hope you do not give money to ISU in any form. If you do, you're about to cause ISU some really huge problems.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 649
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 14
    elaborate

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    elaborate
    Boosters calling recruits is a HUGE no-no. There are a TON of compliance hoops that need to be gone through. This isn't something that can be done willy nilly. I just hope Jeremy has gotten all the clearances and assurances from ISU to be doing something like this because the repurcussions to this could be large and very detrimental to ISU. I can't express how bad this could be for Mr. Brackins, the ISU basketball program, etc.. I hope he knows what he's doing.

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by CyFarmer View Post
    Jeremy, I sure hope you do not give money to ISU in any form. If you do, you're about to cause ISU some really huge problems.
    Actually, according to NCAA bylaw 13, and other supporting statues, there are very minor limits on media or press contact with a recruit as long as the University and/or it's coaching staff has nothing to do with it. This is very rutine and it's not my first interview with a recruit, nor is it out of the ordinary.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Actually, according to NCAA bylaw 13, and other supporting statues, there are very minor limits on media or press contact with a recruit as long as the University and/or it's coaching staff has nothing to do with it. This is very rutine and it's not my first interview with a recruit, nor is it out of the ordinary.
    Game.

Set.

Match.

:)

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by CyFarmer View Post
    Boosters calling recruits is a HUGE no-no. There are a TON of compliance hoops that need to be gone through. This isn't something that can be done willy nilly. I just hope Jeremy has gotten all the clearances and assurances from ISU to be doing something like this because the repurcussions to this could be large and very detrimental to ISU. I can't express how bad this could be for Mr. Brackins, the ISU basketball program, etc.. I hope he knows what he's doing.
    CyFarmer-
    I do see where you are coming from on this regarding boosters interviewing players. This has become a known issue throughout college sports and is something the NCAA is cracking down on globally.

The issue refered to if a person is not considered a "media reporter" but is only viewed as a booster, there can be issues with them directly contacting a recruit. However, if one is considered a member of the press, they can have direct contact with a recruit or potential recruit so long as the University and it's direct employees have nothing to do with the interview or the interview process.

I have worked with ISU regarding my official status and actually have a meeting this evening with them again to further solidify things on paper.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 106
    Doesnt Rivals and Scout have interviews with possible recruits all the time?

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Doesnt Rivals and Scout have interviews with possible recruits all the time?
    Correct. It is not a problem so long as one's status is of a media reporter and not simply a booster or 'fan' of the college in question.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    You guys do realize that Paul Clark had to sever all ties with ISU financially and can not be a booster of ISU in any form. He can not have season tickets, make donations, etc.. There is no "game, set, match" about this. Wasn't there some talk of donating T-shirts to ISU coaches? That might be enough to cause problems, like Jiri's friends letting him use their car after giving to ISU TWENTY YEARS AGO. I'm not saying Jeremy has not cleared this with ISU, I don't know what he does in his spare time, but this is a pretty sensitive issue and I just hopehe's talked to people at ISU in an official capacity not just the friedns or whoever he uses as sources.

Rookie
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    OK, maybe I'm all wet on this issue and it sure wouldn't be the first time, but can one be a media reporter AND a booster (give money, buy tickets)? I was thinking no. I think one could have been a booster in the past, but while a person has media credentials, there can be zero support.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6
    So anybody who writes for news papers can't get season tickets for any team of any sport?

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I agree with CyFarmer that it's a touchy issue and one that I have, and will continue, to make sure to cross all t's and dot all i's on. I will continue to work with ISU's compliance and communications departments to stay on the "good side" of the law (rules) on everything I do.

I have an official meeting with ISU tonight regarding a few things, as well as some future events. I will make sure I get additional clearance for future endeavors that I have been thinking about and I will post anything I know that relates to compliance and keeping in the clear on issues that could hurt ISU in any way, regardless of the party involved.

Rest assured that the last thing anybody wants, on any website, is for something they do to be counter-productive or detramental to the University or it's players/programs/reputation. I have and will continue to get authorization and clearance for things that are close to the line.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152
    There is following the rules. Then there's being cautious. And finally...there's going so extreme to "follow rules" that make a person's head spin.

I think Jeremy has a far better understanding of the NCAA regulations regarding this than any of us do. Plus, he's discussing all these things with the ISU athletic department. He's doing his homework.

Rookie
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    But all this should be done before any recruit of potential recruitable athlete is contacted. I have taken the NCAA compliance test and this is not some minor issue that can be cleared up with a meeting. All ties must be severed, and no, media who want to contact recruits can not be season ticket holders, most would get press passes anyway, but no, they can't.
    You can give no influence towards the institution, you can't come across as a fan, etc. Paul Clark and Chris Williams work for Rivals and Scout, those companies can take care of the issue, Jeremy is independent and somewhat more complicated.
    Care also has to be taken that there aren't too many sources contacting these recruits, they already have numerous coaches contacting them, and reporters from other sites, we now have three sites wanting to contact recruits on top of our recruiters, that can be a little overwhelming to some athletes.

Last edited by soccercy; 08-22-2006 at 01:14 PM. Reason: additional thoughts.