Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

James White

I don't know if I can say how impressed I am with how down hill he runs. He has an eye for the end zone when we're close and I love it. Excited about our two backs and running game!

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

Re: James White

Quote Originally Posted by Madcyentist View Post
    I don't know if I can say how impressed I am with how down hill he runs. He has an eye for the end zone when we're close and I love it. Excited about our two backs and running game!
    I think I like White at the goal line more than Woody.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 533
    Given: 149

He's really playing well.

We truly have 3 effective running backs, each with a different style that lends itself to different situations. When you throw in a mobile QB, it's a great thing.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

i will take white as my top running back..what happened to duck hollis???.is he still in the doghouse???

doc

CyBer

Everyone played their hearts out yesterday, hard to single one guy out. But if I had to single a person out for not playing great it would have to be our kicker. GOTTA GET THOSE KICKS.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    He's really playing well.

We truly have 3 effective running backs, each with a different style that lends itself to different situations. When you throw in a mobile QB, it's a great thing.
    He played a great game...at this point he is quite a bit better than Woody IMO. He is a physical runner much like Woody (not quite as big) but he offers much more upside than Woody does. He can get the tough yards but can also take a 2 yard run and turn it into a 20 yarder.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I'm not positive cause i haven't seen the whole game on t.v. but in one of the highlights one of the announcers said something like "Woody is in watch for the quarterback power." Makes me think he's used more for blitz pickup and power football.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant Clone View Post
    He played a great game...at this point he is quite a bit better than Woody IMO. He is a physical runner much like Woody (not quite as big) but he offers much more upside than Woody does. He can get the tough yards but can also take a 2 yard run and turn it into a 20 yarder.
    I think Woody has the ability to just physically punish anyone trying to tackle him, but White looked very good in finding what he needed in short yardage situations.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant Clone View Post
    It is hard to say he is better than Woody concidering that Woody has had most of his touches in the UNI game running behind a line without Hicks and KO. They are just different and will be called upon at different times. James is quicker to the hole and I think he is pretty darn good on the goal line. I think all three offer up something different. I think Woody is built real well to have a good game against K-State, Texas and aTm, but James was definately better suited for Iowa, and will probably be so for TTech, KU, and Baylor. Some teams you have to get to the hole quicker and with some you have to get there with more force. That is what is nice about Saturday. James has arrived, we know that Shontrelle can be consistent and break big plays, and I think we've all known that Woody can be a bruiser if we need it.

Honor before Victory

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

Quote Originally Posted by ljhlax View Post
    It is hard to say he is better than Woody concidering that Woody has had most of his touches in the UNI game running behind a line without Hicks and KO. They are just different and will be called upon at different times. James is quicker to the hole and I think he is pretty darn good on the goal line. I think all three offer up something different. I think Woody is built real well to have a good game against K-State, Texas and aTm, but James was definately better suited for Iowa, and will probably be so for TTech, KU, and Baylor. Some teams you have to get to the hole quicker and with some you have to get there with more force. That is what is nice about Saturday. James has arrived, we know that Shontrelle can be consistent and break big plays, and I think we've all known that Woody can be a bruiser if we need it.
    Your probably right...I was just really impressed with JW. It just seems like he gives us more upside and should get the bulk of the carries when SJ isn't in there. Woody is good against the blitz and a good lead blocker when Steele runs. I also like the 3 back sets we saw on Saturday. Woody will probably have good games against a few of the teams you mentioned.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think White, SJ, and Woody all have different styles and bring different things to the game. I'm glad to have all three of them, and hope we find enough carries to keep all three of them around.

I will say that White seems to be the most complete/jack-of-all-trades. Johnson has more big play ability, Woody is more physical, but White can do a little bit of everything.

Addict
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 755
    Given: 373

Quote Originally Posted by ljhlax View Post
    I agree with everything you said. However, I do like White a little more just because when you are at the goalline you have the option to run wide like the last play of the game. Keeping the defense honest on the edge makes it much easier to find a seam in the middle to get through and I think we saw that on the first two OT TDs.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    I agree with everything you said. However, I do like White a little more just because when you are at the goalline you have the option to run wide like the last play of the game. Keeping the defense honest on the edge makes it much easier to find a seam in the middle to get through and I think we saw that on the first two OT TDs.
    I was actually hoping that Woody would have had a little more chance to play the RB/TE hybrid that Franklin did at times last year. I'm still hoping to see a little of it. I think it was great for blocking and having two slots and a potential TE as well.

I also like the thought of the three of them developing their "specialty" and then, throwing the opposing team on the back of their heals when they break that mold. You make Woody your power back, Shontrelle the Scatback and White the pitch back or screen back. Then, when you pitch it to Woody or Screen it to Shontrelle or go off tackle with James it is more effective. I remember when Nebraska was at its best, they had guys like that. Frazier, Phillips and Schlesinger come to mind.

First and foremost we have to keep developing and it was wonderful to see Shontrelle get 100 and break a couple bigger runs, and see White hit the hole so quickly and effectively get to the corner on the pitch.

Now...if we could only work on that WR option Pass...hmmm...I wonder if we have any former QBs playing WR this year.

Honor before Victory

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

Quote Originally Posted by woodie View Post
    i will take white as my top running back..what happened to duck hollis???.is he still in the doghouse???
    I'd like to see Duck just to see what he could do in those goal line situations. One of the coaches said he was a combination of Woody and White. Woody's power with White's speed and moves.

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Actually, I've been disappointed with Woody. I know he isn't getting many carries and White is producing when he gets the ball ... so I understand that. But I agree with the OP White is looking very good so far.