Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

DSM Media & their coverage of camp

I don't know where to put this, so i'm putting it in your main football forum.

Being a Nebraska fan, it's head spinning trying to keep up with Husker news & camp coverage from various Nebraska newspapers & TV stations (I love finally having broadband & seeing the reports that are shown on Nebraska TV stations).

That said, I think it's downright embarassing and pathetic that the DSM media (Register, TV stations, etc.) has devoted little to zero coverage of both Iowa St & Iowa training camps. Hell, the Register hasn't had a single article on the hometown Drake Bulldogs.

The fact that you as Iowa State fans (Iowa fans as well) have to depend on Rivals & Scout to get updated news & information is sad and the DSM media need to be ashamed of themselves.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 162
    Huh? The Register has run some stories about the various camps. I've read injury updates there, the emergence of Josh Johnson, etc.

While it has not been full of coverage, it hasn't been void of it either.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2
    Compared to the coverage NU gets by the World Herald and OMA TV stations, it is quite lacking here. It was maddening growing up in SW Iowa to be bombarded by all that, but it would be great for NU fans. We don't have the same level of coverage for our teams in Iowa.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Huh? The Register has run some stories about the various camps. I've read injury updates there, the emergence of Josh Johnson, etc.

While it has not been full of coverage, it hasn't been void of it either.
    Seems like the only time you see anything in the Register regarding ISU camp is an injury. How about some player profile articles? Daily practice reports, etc. Same for the Hawks as well.

Case in point, there was an article in today's OWH on a pair of brothers from Oklahoma who are on the Nebraska roster, one just transfered in after playing spring ball for Bobby Stoops. Was it mostly fluff? Yeah, it was, but Husker fans cann't get enough of the "fluff" articles. When was the last time you saw the Register do anything like this, (i.e. fluff piece)? Headlines from today's DSM Register sports section include:

Zach Johnson;

Iowa Cubs;

academic woes for the Iowa basketball team;

UNI Women's basketball coach having surgery;

and the amount of money wagered at Prarie Medaows.

No question that the preview section that was in Sunday's paper was very informative, however, it was just a one time deal.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    Seems like the only time you see anything in the Register regarding ISU camp is an injury. How about some player profile articles? Daily practice reports, etc. Same for the Hawks as well.
    To date, the Register ran profile articles on Josh Johnson, James Smith, Austin Arnaud and I think the ISU punter. And I thought there was another one that I am missing. Um, so your statement is false.

What are you really getting at here? That ISU and Iowa don't get the same type of coverage in the DMR that Nebraska does in their paper?

Tell me something I don't know.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    To date, the Register ran profile articles on Josh Johnson, James Smith, Austin Arnaud and I think the ISU punter. And I thought there was another one that I am missing. Um, so your statement is false.

What are you really getting at here? That ISU and Iowa don't get the same type of coverage in the DMR that Nebraska does in their paper?

Tell me something I don't know.
    Sorry for bringing it up. It was something that I had noticed this month and thought to myself that I've often wondered why Iowa & Iowa State fans don't get more upset regarding the lack of training camp coverage from the DSM media.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    I think he's got a point. While the Rag covers it, it's not like Omaha, where my wife's family is from. It's bigger than life & death over there.

I'm sick & tired of hearing about the stupid I-Cubs. Who gives a crap. The big Cubs suck, why would anyone care about their AAA affiliate. Especially with college football coming up.

Why don't we get upset? This is all we've known.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6
    The Register's idea of covering ISU sports is more tabliod/investigative journalism. I view the Register's coverage of ISU as more adversarial then friendly.

That is the sole reason I don't subscribe. If they provided the informative and indepth coverage that you are talking about, I would definitely be a subscriber. I can only speak for myself, but I'm guessing if I feel this way there are others that do as well.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    The Register's idea of covering ISU sports is more tabliod/investigative journalism. I view the Register's coverage of ISU as more adversarial then friendly.
    This is absolutely ridiculuous. (The Rag's coverage, not your point. Your point is a good one.) The Rag should be touting the fact we have two big-time programs in the state. Instead it tries to play favorites. I wonder what would happen in Knebraska if they had two major programs. Or anywhere else for that matter, eg Kansas or Oklahoma.

Your thoughts, garn?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by zdorr40 View Post
    I think he's got a point. While the Rag covers it, it's not like Omaha, where my wife's family is from. It's bigger than life & death over there.

I'm sick & tired of hearing about the stupid I-Cubs. Who gives a crap. The big Cubs suck, why would anyone care about their AAA affiliate. Especially with college football coming up.

Why don't we get upset? This is all we've known.
    #1. As stated, I'm fully aware that ISU and Iowa don't receive the local coverage in Iowa like the Huskers do in Nebraska. ISU and Iowa also don't have the long history of great success that Nebraska has.

#2. We as fans always complain about the Rag coverage. So the question of "why don't we complain" is moot. It happens on ever board about once a week or once every other week.

#3. While you and most posters here don't care about the I-Cubs, many in DSM do. If they didn't, the DMR wouldn't write about 'em. Pretty simple.

#4. While I always want more media coverage, contrary to what some may believe...it IS improving. Features on players happened at least 4-5 times this off-season. There was more coverage this weekend about ISU football in the DMR than I could read!

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by zdorr40 View Post
    This is absolutely ridiculuous. (The Rag's coverage, not your point. Your point is a good one.) The Rag should be touting the fact we have two big-time programs in the state. Instead it tries to play favorites. I wonder what would happen in Knebraska if they had two major programs. Or anywhere else for that matter, eg Kansas or Oklahoma.

Your thoughts, garn?
    I've noticed that in the past the Reggy does try to play favorites and all that does is work up the other school's fan base.

You bring up a good point, there's not to many states in the country that can tout having 2 big time college football programs, from 2 different BCS conferences, less than 200 miles apart and instead of playing favorites, both fan bases and the media should embrace this.

While Nebraska may not have 2 major programs, the OWH does try to provide equal coverage to the UNO (Nebraska-Omaha) football program and during the winter, coverage is equally split between NU & Creighton hoops.

Addict
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,597
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 135
    The Register and or local media could have Cy/Hawk talk 365 days a year and we wouldnt get tired of it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

#1. As stated, I'm fully aware that ISU and Iowa don't receive the local coverage in Iowa like the Huskers do in Nebraska. ISU and Iowa also don't have the long history of great success that Nebraska has.

#2. We as fans always complain about the Rag coverage. So the question of "why don't we complain" is moot. It happens on ever board about once a week or once every other week.

#3. While you and most posters here don't care about the I-Cubs, many in DSM do. If they didn't, the DMR wouldn't write about 'em. Pretty simple.

#4. While I always want more media coverage, contrary to what some may believe...it IS improving. Features on players happened at least 4-5 times this off-season. There was more coverage this weekend about ISU football in the DMR than I could read!
    Good points. It is improving. The sports page is quite lacking, especially during the week and has a ways to go (adding content and losing the anti-ISU bent) before I'll consider re-subscribing, though. I hope they continue the improvements, as I would like to support the hometown paper and get ISU news at the same time.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    both fan bases and the media should embrace this.
    I used to embrace this until I realized that about half of Iowa's fans are obnoxious a-holes. Now I hope they lose every game so their fans will just shut the hell up.

Nebraska is fairly unique. They are like Kentucky and Arkansas in that they have one major program with no other professional franchises. For example, in Wisconsin and Missouri they have one program, but there are the Packers and Rams. I'm sure this is most conducive to unity and rabidness that we see from UNL fans.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The fact that you as Iowa State fans (Iowa fans as well) have to depend on Rivals & Scout to get updated news & information is sad and the DSM media need to be ashamed of themselves.
    I would much rather "depend" on getting news from either this site, scout, or rivals any day than to have to "depend" on getting my news from the dm rag. By the time you read news in the newspaper, particularly the dm rag, it is no longer news. Lets face it, internet news is the way of the future. I could care less about newspapers.