Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60

Thread: Iowa Band

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 187,004, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,563
    Points
    187,004
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 231

    Iowa Band

    What are your thoughts on Iowa and UNI's bands coming to Jack Trice to perform and vice versa for ISU at Iowa? I would rather not do it, although I may be biased since we just had them come here. I would rather not have the chance of overtime being played 10 yards away from an opposing teams band right in front of the visitors section. That being said, it theoretically evens out.

    Your thoughts?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 107,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,312
    Points
    107,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 267

    Re: Iowa Band

    I like it. It's part of what makes college football special. In fact, in some ways I liked the atmosphere at JTS better than at Kinnick, and the band is a big reason why. There was a lot less music played over the PA system and a lot more of the band doing there thing, where at Kinnick the band often gets drowned out by the PA.


    “Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

    “With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

    “He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 126,977, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tim_redd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,393
    Points
    126,977
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 50

    Re: Iowa Band

    It's ok, just as long as we don't allow the aggie band to play here.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 33,847, Level: 56
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,263
    Points
    33,847
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 6

    Re: Iowa Band

    I like it. Its a great opportunity for the students in the band that put in a ton of time. Gives them one more performance and a great seat to the game



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 187,004, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,563
    Points
    187,004
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 231

    Re: Iowa Band

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    I like it. It's part of what makes college football special. In fact, in some ways I liked the atmosphere at JTS better than at Kinnick, and the band is a big reason why. There was a lot less music played over the PA system and a lot more of the band doing there thing, where at Kinnick the band often gets drowned out by the PA.
    There were a lot of times when both bands played at once and and it sounded like a garbled mess IMO. Also, I was at the Iowa/ISU game last year and our band sits in the stands kind of like our south endzone seats, but the Iowa band is basically wrapped around an endzone at field level. If they sat in the visitor seats I wouldn't mind as much, but I'm sure that has a lot to do with selling more tickets.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 42,611, Level: 63
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,227
    Points
    42,611
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 67

    Re: Iowa Band

    Don't like both bands playing at the same time. Also, Iowa pushed the limit on making noise while we were calling an audible. But, I was on the south end, maybe our band did the same to them on the north end.

    Nice pre-game and halftime shows from both bands though.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 406,153, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,158
    Points
    406,153
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 135

    Re: Iowa Band

    Quote Originally Posted by tim_redd View Post
    It's ok, just as long as we don't allow the aggie band to play here.
    According to their website, they will not be in attendance.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 150,809, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    iahawkhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    2,768
    Points
    150,809
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 17

    Re: Iowa Band

    I like having a visiting band, but as a former band member I probably get more enjoyment out of watching other bands than many in the stands do. I don't like it, however, when a visiting band does pregame. I feel as if pregame should be the dominion of the home team (although I would still consider letting the visiting director conduct the national anthem an appropriate gesture).

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    There were a lot of times when both bands played at once and and it sounded like a garbled mess IMO. Also, I was at the Iowa/ISU game last year and our band sits in the stands kind of like our south endzone seats, but the Iowa band is basically wrapped around an endzone at field level. If they sat in the visitor seats I wouldn't mind as much, but I'm sure that has a lot to do with selling more tickets.
    I hate the band arrangement when we go to IC. The band is ~340 people and they put us into maybe 500 seats. Most instruments would require that each person have a couple seats worth of space, and the sousaphones require more like 4 apiece. Drumline usually ends up on the field level, so I'm not including them in the seat count. The only positive thing about them packing us so tightly in IC is that our sound is that much more concentrated. 115+ dB in 2008!


    Quote Originally Posted by barometriclow View Post
    Don't like both bands playing at the same time. Also, Iowa pushed the limit on making noise while we were calling an audible. But, I was on the south end, maybe our band did the same to them on the north end.

    Nice pre-game and halftime shows from both bands though.
    Managing the bands is tricky enough when it's just the ISU band (trying to cooperate with the PA stuff and all). I can't imagine how much more difficult it is when you have a second band in the stadium, especially when they're not used to how ISU runs things. I thought that the Iowa band was definitely pushing the snap with their playing, and IIRC the ISU band typically doesn't do that, even when teams are in the north endzone. I can't remember purposely cutting it too close in my 4 years in the band, and it only happened a few times accidentally.


    Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    1,504
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Band

    As a former band member, I like it. For the members, it's nice to see other bands and see what they have done and how good they are. Also, the trips are always fun. It's nice when you're in the band and you get a free trip to somewhere.

    Plus, the Iowa band is so quiet you can hardly hear them anyways...



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 187,004, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,563
    Points
    187,004
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 231

    Re: Iowa Band

    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkhunter View Post
    I like having a visiting band, but as a former band member I probably get more enjoyment out of watching other bands than many in the stands do. I don't like it, however, when a visiting band does pregame. I feel as if pregame should be the dominion of the home team (although I would still consider letting the visiting director conduct the national anthem an appropriate gesture).
    I don't mind at all pregame/halftime. Just blasting noise at our home team as we try to run a no huddle offense. If they made a rule where you can't play during the game at all or when we were on offense I would 100% not be opposed to them being there.



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 12,974, Level: 34
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    fwiw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    388
    Points
    12,974
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

    Re: Iowa Band

    Quote Originally Posted by kas4cy View Post
    As a former band member, I like it. For the members, it's nice to see other bands and see what they have done and how good they are. Also, the trips are always fun. It's nice when you're in the band and you get a free trip to somewhere.

    Plus, the Iowa band is so quiet you can hardly hear them anyways...
    Another alumni band member here ... kas nailed it, plus it's a two way street. If our band goes to away games we have to let visitor bands in to JTS. From my time I only remember 1 full visiting band per season (plus Iowa) and several pep bands. So it's not a big deal.

    What do people think of the new band unis? They're, umm, exceptionally red.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    1,504
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Band

    Quote Originally Posted by fwiw View Post
    Another alumni band member here ... kas nailed it, plus it's a two way street. If our band goes to away games we have to let visitor bands in to JTS. From my time I only remember 1 full visiting band per season (plus Iowa) and several pep bands. So it's not a big deal.

    What do people think of the new band unis? They're, umm, exceptionally red.
    At the risk of sounding like a guy that likes everything, I like them. They apparently breathe. And the pants don't fall down... those are 2 big plusses in my book.

    Also, the color couldn't be perfect because it's licensed by Nike, and Nike only makes band uniforms for one school, Oregon. But it's a lot closer than the old red.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 66,660, Level: 80
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,390
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adventureland
    Posts
    4,699
    Points
    66,660
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Band

    I think its stupid. I don't go to Jack Trice to watch an Iowa band.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 47,754, Level: 67
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    3,563
    Points
    47,754
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 2

    Re: Iowa Band

    I used to be in the band and the trips were a ton of fun so it's a give and take thing.

    I heard a rumor that some hmb instruments got trampled in the rushing the field thing causing $10,000+ in damage... My opinion is that they should have been holding onto them or been better at keeping people from going through them, we have also lost uniforms and such to incidents in IC. That being said that doesn't look good on us.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 33,839, Level: 56
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cabot, AR
    Posts
    1,676
    Points
    33,839
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Iowa Band

    Non-Band person likes having the Bands....College Football is about dueling bands, dueling players and being best at both - mission accomplished Saturday...when I went to school all we could say was our band is better - in fact I seem to recall the band getting in trouble for making signs about how bad the football team was on their road trip?...College football is not about blaring loud music over a PA system and coordinating t-shirt colors or whatever is trendy...Bands are classic and should be respected


    Last edited by justcynn; 09-11-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM