Las Vegas buys into the hype
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 27,790, Level: 51
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 860
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,827
    Points
    27,790
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 163

    Las Vegas buys into the hype

    In the Capt Kirk era, Las Vegas has favored Iowa 10 of 13 games by an average of 10 points, but yet Kirkie has a losing record against ISU.

    I can see the media thinking Iowa will be great every year (ala Buckeye Kirk H. this year) but usually the money guys are little closer to reality.


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 440,264, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,030
    Points
    440,264
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

    Re: Las Vegas buys into the hype

    They aren't necessarily picking the team they think will win. They're trying to get the betting even on both sides. They know Iowa is going to have a lot more money thrown it's way unless we have a REALLY good team, so they have to try and make the spread big enough to get Iowa fans to bet Iowa State to cover.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 262,005, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,212
    Points
    262,005
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 760

    Re: Las Vegas buys into the hype

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    They aren't necessarily picking the team they think will win. They're trying to get the betting even on both sides. They know Iowa is going to have a lot more money thrown it's way unless we have a REALLY good team, so they have to try and make the spread big enough to get Iowa fans to bet Iowa State to cover.
    True. Betting lines aren't a game predictor. When a talking head says "Vegas thinks so-and-so is going to win." I want to punch them.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 27,790, Level: 51
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 860
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,827
    Points
    27,790
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 163

    Re: Las Vegas buys into the hype

    I understand the betting philosophy, but my guess is that Vegas has not made much money on Iowa State in the last 15 years.

    I have always been amazed how close Vegas is to predicting the actual spread in final scores. I guess my point is that they have not been able to do that with the Iowa-Iowa State series.


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 101,246, Level: 99
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    HiltonMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,187
    Points
    101,246
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 46

    Re: Las Vegas buys into the hype

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    I understand the betting philosophy, but my guess is that Vegas has not made much money on Iowa State in the last 15 years.

    I have always been amazed how close Vegas is to predicting the actual spread in final scores. I guess my point is that they have not been able to do that with the Iowa-Iowa State series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    True. Betting lines aren't a game predictor. When a talking head says "Vegas thinks so-and-so is going to win." I want to punch them.


    Don't confuse hope for a plan.

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 35,154, Level: 57
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    DurangoCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Posts
    1,903
    Points
    35,154
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 220

    Re: Las Vegas buys into the hype

    Iowa is the definition of a "Public Team".

    I'm sure Vegas has done just fine on the game over the last decade.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 95,194, Level: 96
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,856
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,725
    Points
    95,194
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 70

    Re: Las Vegas buys into the hype

    I know that betting is what moves the line, but I thought that it was more than fair to ISU this year whereas many times in the past, I think that iowa was favored by too much. Money was definitely coming in on ISU last week.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM