Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 331

No excuse

There is simply no excuse for the Hawks losing today. They were outplayed, and out-coached. I'll have to wait and see how the season plays out before I could make an honest assessment of which team was better, but ISU was the better team today, and it wasn't even close.

Iowa's defense was completely unable to slow down Jantz. He made play after play, and while we had a few broken coverages (the TD in the North endzone and the one that got called back spring to mind), Jantz made far more pin-point passes. It wasn't just a few lucky breaks here and there.

ISU did all they could to GIVE this game away, and they still won. Turnovers, penalties. Didn't matter, Iowa wasn't able to take advantage of the Cyclone's mistakes. ISU manhandled Iowa in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball (which shocked me, I figured the o-lines would dominate the game for both teams).

And how's about a little love for Money Reynolds, who truly was money today?

I said a couple weeks ago that I expected a competitive game, and that if ISU got a big play or two on special teams, I could easily see them winning it. Well, they had several good special teams plays.

I was losing it when we didn't go for a chance at a field goal at the end of the 4th quarter. I knew we wouldn't, but it still pi*sed me off. And it happened again after ISU offered us a window of opportunity on the offsides penalty to turn 4th and 6 into 4th and 1, yet we didn't go for it. You can't play not to lose, especially on the road, and ESPECIALLY when it's a rivalry game and the stadium is going as nuts as JTS was.

But that didn't cost us the game. Did it cost us a CHANCE to win the game? Sure. But the play of Steele Jantz and the rest of the Cyclones is what really lost this game for the Hawks.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Recruit
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Re: No excuse

Well said, appreciate the classy hawk fans like yourself.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 18

First hawk fan I've seen today admit that. Are they gonna take your Hawk card away from ya. ;) Nice post.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not dude?

Follow me unplugged on twitter @fatkid1974

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Good post! It's kind of refreshing not to hear a bunch of crap like "super bowl", Hawk fans saying Iowa simply let ISU have it, etc., like in previous years.

2009 Insight Bowl Champions!

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    There is simply no excuse for the Hawks losing today. They were outplayed, and out-coached. I'll have to wait and see how the season plays out before I could make an honest assessment of which team was better, but ISU was the better team today, and it wasn't even close.

Iowa's defense was completely unable to slow down Jantz. He made play after play, and while we had a few broken coverages (the TD in the North endzone and the one that got called back spring to mind), Jantz made far more pin-point passes. It wasn't just a few lucky breaks here and there.

ISU did all they could to GIVE this game away, and they still won. Turnovers, penalties. Didn't matter, Iowa wasn't able to take advantage of the Cyclone's mistakes. ISU manhandled Iowa in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball (which shocked me, I figured the o-lines would dominate the game for both teams).

I said a couple weeks ago that I expected a competitive game, and that if ISU got a big play or two on special teams, I could easily see them winning it. Well, they had several good special teams plays.

I was losing it when we didn't go for a chance at a field goal at the end of the 4th quarter. I knew we wouldn't, but it still pi*sed me off. And it happened again after ISU offered us a window of opportunity on the offsides penalty to turn 4th and 6 into 4th and 1, yet we didn't go for it. You can't play not to lose, especially on the road, and ESPECIALLY when it's a rivalry game and the stadium is going as nuts as JTS was.

But that didn't cost us the game. Did it cost us a CHANCE to win the game? Sure. But the play of Steele Jantz and the rest of the Cyclones is what really lost this game for the Hawks.
    Kirk should check in his pants and see if his balls have dropped yet. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But seriously, that would **** me off as a fan. That's why, although it didn't work, I like Rhoads' risk taking like the Nebraska OT.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Thanks, all the hawk fans ive seen today went from "state sucks" to "they cant party like us"

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

refreshing yes, but most Hawk fans will have to wait for the rest of the season for the honest assessment on who was better, so they can play the superbowl card, and what not, not the scoreboard on who was better, its the season as a whole on who is better.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 77

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post

I respect you, you are a good poster but the first line in your post is an oxymoron.

*Rest in peace corn dog chick

"what you dont know is that treehouse masters is just mansions for WVU fans"

CF Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Rookie
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Nice classy post! I agree with you that Iowa should have won with all the penalies and fumbles that were given up... They just never to advantage of them, other than the first fumble.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 331

Quote Originally Posted by SNEDDS3 View Post
    I respect you, you are a good poster but the first line in your post is an oxymoron.
    Technically, yes it is. I just meant that in the sense that they didn't lose because "it's ISU's Super Bowl" or "we had guys injured", etc. They lost because they were outplayed, plain and simple.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Rookie
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by ISUcy08 View Post
    Kirk should check in his pants and see if his balls have dropped yet. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But seriously, that would **** me off as a fan. That's why, although it didn't work, I like Rhoads' risk taking like the Nebraska OT.
    I would be even more ****** that with a minute and change on the clock at the end of the fourth he just killed the clock. Seriously, that decision was idiocy.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,175
    Given: 1,031

For all that the Hawks lost, I wouldn't get too down on them just yet. Your QB is solid, and the O-line blocked well. McNutt is scary to play against. The D definitely didn't look like an Iowa D, but give some credit to the ISU line- we didn't have all those big boys against UNI.

Addict
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,180
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 224

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    For all that the Hawks lost, I wouldn't get too down on them just yet. Your QB is solid, and the O-line blocked well. McNutt is scary to play against. The D definitely didn't look like an Iowa D, but give some credit to the ISU line- we didn't have all those big boys against UNI.
    I'd say it's way early to make that call. He really wasn't very good.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonefanpaul View Post
    I would be even more ****** that with a minute and change on the clock at the end of the fourth he just killed the clock. Seriously, that decision was idiocy.
    That's the one I'm talking about. I don't blame him for talking the field goal in OT on fourth and one. Not going for the WIN with 1:20 to go and 2 timeouts, the same thing he did versus Ohio St.... stupid. Pretty sure Rhoads would have gone for it.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 952
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 358
    Given: 1,406

some of these folks would differ with the non-excuses. funny **** in here. I couldn't resist, just for a bit.

The better team won today. - Page 4 - HawkeyeNation Forum