Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Two yard pass patterns

Why do we throw it two yards down the field every other pass? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I like our defensive game plan, put our corners one on one on their receivers and use everyone else to stop the run and make their young QB and receivers beat us. If we could do a little more on offense this would have been a blowout.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: Two yard pass patterns

Those short passes work for TT. It is basically a running play.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Yeah, it just seemed like we weren't mixing it up enough, if they have no fear of a big play the short passes aren't as effective.
    Great game plan of putting Bell and Singleton on an island against their receivers though!

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Most of the 2 yard pass plays were check downs... that will happen when your receivers are covered down the field.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajjohnson View Post
    Why do we throw it two yards down the field every other pass? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I like our defensive game plan, put our corners one on one on their receivers and use everyone else to stop the run and make their young QB and receivers beat us. If we could do a little more on offense this would have been a blowout.
    I agree totally. Some of those check-down 2 yard pass plays to outside they guy is totally covered OR our guy's momentum was going to take him out of bounds anyway. Not impressed with that offensive scheme on those calls, basically wasted downs.
    I would like to see Blythe try to attract more holding calls with his body language too....you think that would be in his repitoir by now as a senior....I know the Big 10 refs weren't going to call much of that today against Iowa, but he still needs to try and get those calls even though he is frustrated with the bump-d. I wish our corners played more bump-d to however the referees are allowing the game to be played. I think our corners survived today just because of the green quarterback.

Prospect
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I liked all the short passes. Get the ball out before the defensive pressure hits the QB. Avoid turnovers by not throwing it into dangerous areas. As good as a run, but w/o allowing the defense to key in on the run. Keep the chains moving, keep the defense on the field & wear 'em out while gaining 2-5 yards at a time. Catch 'em by surprise when we do go long.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Those short passes in today's game have replaced the toss sweep of 25-30 years ago. They are a staple of the spread offense. If you have talent and athleticism at the receiver spot those plays can turn into long gainers.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Amazing that people are critical on a day like today. Many of those two yard passes are checkdowns. Bret went through progressions. That is what everyone has been screaming for him to do. The rest are plays out of whats called a west coast style offense, some guy named Bill Walsh made it popular, you may have heard of him before. He didn't throw it to Jerry Rice deep every down most were short passes. Didn't work their either.

Amazing

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    Amazing that people are critical on a day like today. Many of those two yard passes are checkdowns. Bret went through progressions. That is what everyone has been screaming for him to do. The rest are plays out of whats called a west coast style offense, some guy named Bill Walsh made it popular, you may have heard of him before. He didn't throw it to Jerry Rice deep every down most were short passes. Didn't work their either.

Amazing

Whats amazing is you have to act like the nazi moderator. I made a simple observation about our offensive game plan. Meyer had a 5.4 ypa on a day he played very well and completed 73% of his passes. I will clue you in since you don't have one-5.4 ypa on 73%is very low even for the west coast offense. I supported our staff 100% BEFORE this game, and was just making an observation we should mix our short passes with more intermediate routes. Maybe you should pin something to the top of the board that this was the perfect game and can't be improved on, so please, no one make any comments asserting otherwise, per order of JCloned, super moderator.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by ajjohnson View Post
    I made a simple observation about our offensive game plan.
    As was JCloned. Personally, I think we were throwing alot of quick short passes limit sacks. There were several times I noticed that if Bret hadn't have thrown one of those short routes quickly, he would have been sacked.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ahaselhu View Post
    As was JCloned.
    LMAO. Yeah, his post wasn't condescending at all.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

To quote Haydn Fry (i know, its ironic): "you gotta scratch where it itches." Iowa was giving us those passes and yards, so lets take them. Next week the itch will probably be in a different area.

Last edited by ahsSteve-O; 09-15-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

I can understand some frustration on the short passes. It was frustrating a couple times on third down, but oh well. As Lee Corso says on NCAA football:

"I like short passes!"

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I don't think our offense will continue to sputter for too long. We have too many weapons at the skill positions not to be more explosive.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Sorry to have offended you. It just amazes me that on a day we get a huge win that people are complaining.

"Why do we throw it two yards down the field every other pass? Doesn't make much sense to me."

Now I will put on my moderator hat and say calling anyone a Nazi is in really poor taste and does not belong on this board or any board.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill