Checking in from Germany
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 14,488, Level: 36
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hockenheim
    Posts
    425
    Points
    14,488
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Checking in from Germany

    I've been here for almost 10 days. The first six in a hotel, we are now in our house. Not much different than America other than the language, food and beer. The best things about 11 am kickoffs is that they are prime time for me.



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,962, Level: 24
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    redrocket22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Col de la Madone
    Posts
    234
    Points
    6,962
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 15

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by RustyClone View Post
    I've been here for almost 10 days. The first six in a hotel, we are now in our house. Not much different than America other than the language, food and beer. The best things about 11 am kickoffs is that they are prime time for me.
    go eat some gruen kohl and get report back. If you need any 220 to 110 converters, let me know...



  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 14,488, Level: 36
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hockenheim
    Posts
    425
    Points
    14,488
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by redrocket22 View Post
    go eat some gruen kohl and get report back. If you need any 220 to 110 converters, let me know...
    I'm set on all of the electrical needs, but thanks for the offer. I'll give your other suggestion a try unless it is a regional offering and not offered where I am at.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 209,972, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,932
    Points
    209,972
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 655

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    So have you moved there or just vacationing?



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 14,488, Level: 36
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hockenheim
    Posts
    425
    Points
    14,488
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    So have you moved there or just vacationing?
    Moved, my wife's new job with her company required a 2-3 year stay here.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 28,634, Level: 51
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,957
    Points
    28,634
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    Football season is interesting when you get to watch 11am games in primetime. Problem is, the prime time games...end up starting at ridiculous hours in the morning. Makes the usual CFB Saturday marathon a bit more tiring than back home. Really makes the CFB/NFL marathons difficult.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 209,972, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,932
    Points
    209,972
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 655

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by RustyClone View Post
    Moved, my wife's new job with her company required a 2-3 year stay here.

    Lucky



  8. #8
    Rookie
    Points: 14,488, Level: 36
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hockenheim
    Posts
    425
    Points
    14,488
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    There are some pretty cool things over here and it should get better as I/we learn more of the language. That said I woke up this morning and watched the second half of the Mizzou/ASU game, weird feeling.



  9. #9
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    Our son just moved there and he cannot get skype to work. Have you?



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 14,381, Level: 36
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,026
    Points
    14,381
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    Enjoy Oktoberfest!



  11. #11
    Recruit
    Points: 6,324, Level: 23
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    110
    Points
    6,324
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    My daughter just moved to Germany last weekend. She will be there for the next year on a Fulbright Teaching Grant. She loves Germany (2 [prior trips plus one semester study abroad). Hope you are in the Bavarian section of Germany. They seemed to have more fun there (at least drink a lot more beer). For lunch, for dinner, for bedtime snack Maybe even from breakfast. Let's hope the Cyclones make you evening today.



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 182,583, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    13,215
    Points
    182,583
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,822
    Given: 1,219

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by BleedCycloneRed View Post
    My daughter just moved to Germany last weekend. She will be there for the next year on a Fulbright Teaching Grant. She loves Germany (2 [prior trips plus one semester study abroad). Hope you are in the Bavarian section of Germany. They seemed to have more fun there (at least drink a lot more beer). For lunch, for dinner, for bedtime snack Maybe even from breakfast. Let's hope the Cyclones make you evening today.
    I don't know about Germany, but I've spent a lot of time in southern Europe and beer and wine are generally a lot cheaper, even when other things aren't.

    If Americans sat down for lunch somewhere and a beer or glass of wine was the same price as a Coke we'd probably drink more too ;-) I find myself drinking a lot more there than I do here just because it's more convenient and economical.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 209,972, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,932
    Points
    209,972
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 655

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    I don't know about Germany, but I've spent a lot of time in southern Europe and beer and wine are generally a lot cheaper, even when other things aren't.

    If Americans sat down for lunch somewhere and a beer or glass of wine was the same price as a Coke we'd probably drink more too ;-) I find myself drinking a lot more there than I do here just because it's more convenient and economical.

    This is true. Earlier this year we were in Bologna, Italy and they were pumping wine out of a gas pump and it was actually cheaper than the fuel.



  14. #14
    Rookie
    Points: 14,488, Level: 36
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hockenheim
    Posts
    425
    Points
    14,488
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Checking in from Germany

    The beer and wine are much cheaper here. I am West of Bavaria about an hour South of Frankfurt.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM