Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why Realignment talks should HELP Iowa State players & coaches!!!

I am sure some of you have a habit of looking at a glass half filled with water as half filled rather than half empty. I think that's exactly how players and coaches are viewing the situation in Big XII. Why not?!?

Let's just say Big XII dissolves and Iowa State becomes another Northern Iowa with a lot of potential but an afterthought to a big name conference. The earliest this can happen is next year.

2012: isn't that when the world is coming to an end anyway? But that's beside the point...

What I am trying to say is - if you are given a year to live wouldn't you want to live your fullest and somehow show that you belonged when you lived and struggled to survive?!? That's exactly what I would do if I were a player or a coach at Iowa State. Forget all the 39 times you lost to Iowa, Forget the 19 times you beat Iowa. Think of this game as the FINAL Iowa Iowa State rivalry game because we still belong in Big XII in 2011.

Let's fight for survival. LET's go 12-0 this season and end with a national championship or something. WHY NOT?!?

IF not, how about just 7-5 and go to a bowl game and winning out the bowl season as well. At least we can say we won the bowl game to end our Big XII era.

Come on coaches!! Come on players!! Come on fans!! Let's bring down the HAWKS and show them we belong!!! Who knows maybe a better performance might make us relevant to BIG EAST or any FBS conference if we FIGHT!!!

GO CYCLONES!!!

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Re: Why Realignment talks should HELP Iowa State players & coaches!!!

Bottom line is if the Big 12 blows up and we end up in a non-BCS conference it would be a huge blow to pretty much all our programs. I'm sure schools recruiting against us are already using the Big 12 instability to recruit against us. How many non-BCS schools pay their women's BB coach around 1/2 a million dollars? It would definitely be a huge step backwards for the FB program, recruits want to play in bowl games, being in a non-automatic bid BCS conference would mean less bowl affliations and 7-5 records still may not get you into a bowl. Men's basketball could probably survive but again the recruiting lure would suffer because top recruits want to play in big conferences.

Let's all hope the Big 12 can stay intact and add a few teams because that is the best scenario for ISU. If I were the remaining Big 12 schools I would fire Dan Beebe right now because it is apparent that he is lacking the leadership to keep this conference together.

Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by clonomaniac View Post
    I am sure some of you have a habit of looking at a glass half filled with water as half filled rather than half empty. I think that's exactly how players and coaches are viewing the situation in Big XII. Why not?!?

Let's just say Big XII dissolves and Iowa State becomes another Northern Iowa with a lot of potential but an afterthought to a big name conference. The earliest this can happen is next year.

2012: isn't that when the world is coming to an end anyway? But that's beside the point...

What I am trying to say is - if you are given a year to live wouldn't you want to live your fullest and somehow show that you belonged when you lived and struggled to survive?!? That's exactly what I would do if I were a player or a coach at Iowa State. Forget all the 39 times you lost to Iowa, Forget the 19 times you beat Iowa. Think of this game as the FINAL Iowa Iowa State rivalry game because we still belong in Big XII in 2011.

Let's fight for survival. LET's go 12-0 this season and end with a national championship or something. WHY NOT?!?

IF not, how about just 7-5 and go to a bowl game and winning out the bowl season as well. At least we can say we won the bowl game to end our Big XII era.

Come on coaches!! Come on players!! Come on fans!! Let's bring down the HAWKS and show them we belong!!! Who knows maybe a better performance might make us relevant to BIG EAST or any FBS conference if we FIGHT!!!

GO CYCLONES!!!

They don't call him cloneMANIAC for nothing folks!

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Instead of letting other conferences raid the Big 12, time for the Big 12 to step up and get back to 12 teams. While some of the schools geographically might be a reach why not look at someone like UConn and Cincy from the Big East? Decent programs in both FB and BB, Memphis and Houston in Conference USA would both add something and while I know they just joined the Mountain West Boise State would have been a nice addition too and with the Big 12 automatic BCS bid would give them a better chance to get to the national title game. BYU keeps getting thrown out there for possibilities too.

I'm sorry but Dan Beebe and the rest of the conference can't be reactive anymore. If they want to keep the Big 12 alive it's time to start doing what other conferences have done to the Big 12 and start courting schools from other conferences that would strengthen the Big 12 again.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 675

GO CYCLONES!!!
    Our lack of talent as compared to the majority of other BCS teams.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BirdOfWar View Post
    They don't call him cloneMANIAC for nothing folks!
    Its people like you who believe nothing good ever happens when you have the will power. Iowa State is every bit of capable of winning big. While I agree with you that there's about 0.00000000001% chance we win national championship but what's so wrong about pumping up Cyclone nation so they aim for BIG?!?

I am so sick and tired of this realignment talk making everyone think, talk and argue like we don't belong.

Every team can aim big, think big and talk big.

WE NEED TO ENCOURAGE EVERYONE ACCORDINGLY!!!

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Its people like you who believe nothing good ever happens when you have the will power. Iowa State is every bit of capable of winning big. While I agree with you that there's about 0.00000000001% chance we win national championship but what's so wrong about pumping up Cyclone nation so they aim for BIG?!?

I am so sick and tired of this realignment talk making everyone think, talk and argue like we don't belong.

Every team can aim big, think big and talk big.

WE NEED TO ENCOURAGE EVERYONE ACCORDINGLY!!!

I'm not quite sure how you can make the assumption that I belive nothing good will ever happen from one post that points out that saying we can go 12-0 is a little bit crazy.

I was just trying to have a little bit of fun and I think you are taking my post much more seriously than intended.

Also, to end with a national championship we would need to be 13-0.

Lighten up Francis!

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BirdOfWar View Post
    I'm not quite sure how you can make the assumption that I belive nothing good will ever happen from one post that points out that saying we can go 12-0 is a little bit crazy.

I was just trying to have a little bit of fun and I think you are taking my post much more seriously than intended.

Also, to end with a national championship we would need to be 13-0.

Lighten up Francis!

WRONG. To win national championship, you still go 12-0 in a season. The championship game is post season.

Sorry I took your post too seriously. I just don't like seeing realignment posts taking the attention away from the players and coaches trying to put up a big fight this season. I have been through three rounds of lay offs as an engineer and it sucks to be going through any situation like this as a player, as a coach, as an employee etc.

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

WRONG. To win national championship, you still go 12-0 in a season. The championship game is post season.

Sorry I took your post too seriously. I just don't like seeing realignment posts taking the attention away from the players and coaches trying to put up a big fight this season. I have been through three rounds of lay offs as an engineer and it sucks to be going through any situation like this as a player, as a coach, as an employee etc.

Slight correction. To WIN you must be 13-0. To get to the national championship you more than likely need to be 12-0.

No worries. Realignment sucks and I'll be glad when it's over and I'm hoping th Big XII stays together........at least in some form.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 128

One game at a time for the guys. Time to put it to Iowa this year. It is CPR's third year and this is the best shot we have at iowa since he took over. No excuses, just find a way to win.

I expect us to be in every game this season. We SHOULD have a major chip on our shoulder because of the way we finished last season: (5-4 only to blow the final 3 games away.) Go Clones-

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 316

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    Bottom line is if the Big 12 blows up and we end up in a non-BCS conference it would be a huge blow to pretty much all our programs. I'm sure schools recruiting against us are already using the Big 12 instability to recruit against us. How many non-BCS schools pay their women's BB coach around 1/2 a million dollars? It would definitely be a huge step backwards for the FB program, recruits want to play in bowl games, being in a non-automatic bid BCS conference would mean less bowl affliations and 7-5 records still may not get you into a bowl. Men's basketball could probably survive but again the recruiting lure would suffer because top recruits want to play in big conferences.

Let's all hope the Big 12 can stay intact and add a few teams because that is the best scenario for ISU. If I were the remaining Big 12 schools I would fire Dan Beebe right now because it is apparent that he is lacking the leadership to keep this conference together.

Weren't lots of us saying things like this a year or so ago. Then, in about one day, Beebe turned into the miracle man who gave us enough extra money with a new TV deal to buy the huge Cyclotrone. This time, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'll bet that we emerge in the Big 12 (?) as part of the first 16 team megaconference.