Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 4

Rugby World Cup

Obviously people's minds are with the Iowa State - Iowa game and conference realignment, but is anyone else pumped for the start of the Rugby World Cup tonight/tomorrow?

It's hard to pick against New Zealand, the hosts and top-ranked team in the world; however, I'm rooting for the French upset. It's always interesting to watch the differences in playing styles between the international squads.

For people that don't follow, you have a chance to watch a couple games on NBC. The first is this Sunday at noon (Central): USA vs. Ireland. The United States certainly isn't expected to go very far, but they do have some athletes and have improved each World Cup.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 74

Re: Rugby World Cup

Absolutely! Go Eagles! Do you know a good website that has the game times? The only sites I've seen have the times local (New Zealand).

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's the one I've been using that also lists how games can be viewed (NBC/Universal/stream). I'm hoping to find a free stream to catch a couple games, but will be tided over with the USA/Ireland game and all the football action this weekend.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Prospect
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Obviously people's minds are with the Iowa State - Iowa game and conference realignment, but is anyone else pumped for the start of the Rugby World Cup tonight/tomorrow?

It's hard to pick against New Zealand, the hosts and top-ranked team in the world; however, I'm rooting for the French upset. It's always interesting to watch the differences in playing styles between the international squads.

For people that don't follow, you have a chance to watch a couple games on NBC. The first is this Sunday at noon (Central): USA vs. Ireland. The United States certainly isn't expected to go very far, but they do have some athletes and have improved each World Cup.
    One of my good friends is a Kiwi plus I love their fast paced style of play so I hope NZ can pull it off this year. If not hopefully the Irish can find a little magic. Speaking of French upsets, I was at the last one in Cardiff in 2007. As a Cyclone fan I can relate to the disappointment the All Black fans have had at the RWC.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If the USA can't win I always cheer the New Zealand. The Haka is amazing.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7duQyblUBZI]RWC 2011: New Zealand vs Tonga Haka in Rugby World Cup 2011 Opener 09.09.11 [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Prospect
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Perfect way to start RWC 2011! If you have DirecTV it looks like they're replaying the match several times on 625 and looks like it will be free. At least I can watch it right now although it's cycling.

One of my favorite all time sports commercials is the ADIDAS commercial from 1999. Unfortunately I haven't taken the time to figure out how to paste videos but search for All Blacks haka ADIDAS commercial and you should find it.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GInerC8gtZA]allblacks haka adidas ad - YouTube[/ame]

Prospect
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post
    Excellent! So can you also give yourself credits or reputation from me since I can't figure that out either? I'm a simple caveman when it comes to forums...

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 91

Since this is probably the best forum do so I have a question about rugby. I have been to a few rugby matches, and I understand the basic rules. What I don't understand, is why do the teams huddle around the ball and try to kick it out of the circle. So my question is, how/why does this huddle start? And I am guessing that there is a term for it has well and that it isn't called a huddle.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by MLawrence View Post
    Since this is probably the best forum do so I have a question about rugby. I have been to a few rugby matches, and I understand the basic rules. What I don't understand, is why do the teams huddle around the ball and try to kick it out of the circle. So my question is, how/why does this huddle start? And I am guessing that there is a term for it has well and that it isn't called a huddle.

The huddle is actually called a scrum and that happens dependent on which type of rugby rules you are playing by; Rugby Union or Rugby League. Usually though the scrum starts when the ball either goes out of bounds or there is an accidental infringment such as hitting or dropping the ball forward.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    The huddle is actually called a scrum and that happens dependent on which type of rugby rules you are playing by; Rugby Union or Rugby League. Usually though the scrum starts when the ball either goes out of bounds or there is an accidental infringment such as hitting or dropping the ball forward.
    not sure about the leage/union but i played rugby 4 years at isu and never saw a scrum after the ball went out of bounds. there you have a line-out not a scrum.

back to the op's question, i always viewed this as kind of a jumb ball. the team putting the ball into the scrum has the advantage though. the other team as an opportunity to steal possession but the team putting the ball in has a much greater chance at maintaining possession.

same for a line-out. the team with possession has the greatest chance to maintian possession, but the other team has a realistic shot at stealing possession on a bad throw or a prefectly timed prediction of where the ball will be thrown in.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MLawrence View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    the team putting the ball into the scrum has the advantage though. the other team as an opportunity to steal possession but the team putting the ball in has a much greater chance at maintaining possession.
    theyork answered this pretty well in terms of Rugby Union (the version of the sport that is more popular and is taking place now). A scrum occurs after a minor infraction to give the non-offending team a chance at possession. Commonly you'll see this after a knock-on (dropping the ball forward, or having it bounce forward off a player) or a forward pass. It's akin to a turnover in basketball created by a travel or double-dribble.

More serious penalties (not releasing the ball, not releasing the tackler, offside, obstruction, entering the fight for possession incorrectly, etc.) give the awarded team the opportunity to kick for goal (like a field goal for three points), kick for distance (usually kicking intentionally out-of-bounds to advance field position), or form a scrum. Because points or field position are the alternatives, you rarely see a team choose a scrum after a penalty.

And like soccer, there are also yellow and red cards for dangerous or blatant penalties, which send someone to the sin-bin for 10 minutes (the offending team plays shorthanded like hockey) or disqualify them from the match.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Prospect
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Match starting now on NBC, FYI. It's tape delayed from last night.

Also, FYI, Paul Emerick, one of the faces of USA Rugby is from Pella and played club rugby at UNI. The 7's national team, which also includes Emerick also has a Ames/ISU player, Bokhoven, but I don't think he's on the 15s team.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Just an ugly brand of rugby in that first match for the US. For people that want to see the full skill element of the game, be sure to check out the next match on NBC featuring New Zealand. The style of play is remarkably different from the brute game employed by the US and many of the European teams.

With that said, I was very impressed by how the US played, particularly in the first half. Their defense inside their own 22 was strong, and their tackling seemed to wear down the Irish at times. On the other side of the ball, there really wasn't any offensive flow. They will need to get the back line more involved to have success in the remaining pool matches.

TRUE AND VALIANT