Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Class Action

Question: What prevents every Cyclone fan (add all Kansas, Baylor, KSU fans if you like) that has ever donated money to the NCC and bought season football tickets during the tenure of the Big 12 from filing a class action against ESPN, the BCS, the Big 10, the PAC 10, Texas and the SEC?

My basis (lawyers can chime in) is that all the money I've (or anyone has) ever donated was to help field a Big 12 football team, that in theory is then given a chance to compete for the biggest prize in the land. (No need to argue the chances of that happening at ISU) In theory all of the money ever donated to that cause is rendered useless by named defendants for tearing down the fabric of AQ conferences and only rewarding traditionally successful programs and populous areas. In other words, my investment was for not.

There is a RICO claim here similar to the following (citing Wikipedia) but on a larger scale and with more teeth:
    In 2002, the former minority owners of the Montreal Expos baseball team filed charges under the RICO Act against Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig and former Expos owner Jeffrey Loria, claiming that Selig and Loria deliberately conspired to devalue the team for personal benefit in preparation for a move.[14] If found liable, Major League Baseball could have been responsible for up to $300 million in punitive damages. The case lasted for two years, successfully stalling the Expos' move to Washington or contraction during that time. It was eventually sent to arbitration where the arbiters ruled in favor of Major League Baseball,[15] permitting the move to Washington to take place.

I'd like to see records supeoned for ESPN and the BCS as it relates to my hypothetical class action.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,974
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Class Action

Wouldn't be the most frivolous lawsuit ever filed. But it would be close.

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

What about all the money that people have donated to cure cancer? Can all the cancer victims that have donated money sue?

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by kberyldial View Post
    Question: What prevents every Cyclone fan (add all Kansas, Baylor, KSU fans if you like) that has ever donated money to the NCC and bought season football tickets during the tenure of the Big 12 from filing a class action against ESPN, the BCS, the Big 10, the PAC 10, Texas and the SEC?

My basis (lawyers can chime in) is that all the money I've (or anyone has) ever donated was to help field a Big 12 football team, that in theory is then given a chance to compete for the biggest prize in the land. (No need to argue the chances of that happening at ISU) In theory all of the money ever donated to that cause is rendered useless by named defendants for tearing down the fabric of AQ conferences and only rewarding traditionally successful programs and populous areas. In other words, my investment was for not.

There is a RICO claim here similar to the following (citing Wikipedia) but on a larger scale and with more teeth:
    In 2002, the former minority owners of the Montreal Expos baseball team filed charges under the RICO Act against Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig and former Expos owner Jeffrey Loria, claiming that Selig and Loria deliberately conspired to devalue the team for personal benefit in preparation for a move.[14] If found liable, Major League Baseball could have been responsible for up to $300 million in punitive damages. The case lasted for two years, successfully stalling the Expos' move to Washington or contraction during that time. It was eventually sent to arbitration where the arbiters ruled in favor of Major League Baseball,[15] permitting the move to Washington to take place.

I'd like to see records supeoned for ESPN and the BCS as it relates to my hypothetical class action.
    What are you waiting for?

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 269
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jtdoyle1 View Post
    What about all the money that people have donated to cure cancer? Can all the cancer victims that have donated money sue?
    If a cure existed and it was being suppressed by an entity for profit. Look up the Attorneys Generals lawsuit against the tobacco companies.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

A person would have to show how they have standing to sue, i.e. they have been injured as a result of A&M's actions. A fan would not be able to do this, but the president of the universities could sue, or maybe even a student because their education could be devalued or it could deprive the school of funding, but i don't believe a fan would have an actionable injury.

I think that the money you have paid to go to games was to watch a team that you are a fan of and you got to do that when you had the tickets. Your purchasing tickets in past years is not predicated on them being in the big 12 in the future, I think it would be pretty hard to show that. I mean who thinks when they buy tickets, "im only buying these so that in the future, ISU will be part of the big 12"

"But you know that old thing, live fast, die young? Not my way. Live fast, sure, live too bloody fast sometimes, but die young? Die old. That's the way- not orthodox, I don't live by "the rules" you know." - David Brent

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,882
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 28

Apathy?

"Explode and tear this whole town apart
    Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart
    Find somebody itching for something to start"

"The Promised Land" Bruce Springsteen

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsCy View Post
    Apathy?
    Perhaps.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    I mean who thinks when they buy tickets, "im only buying these so that in the future, ISU will be part of the big 12"
    I'm spending money to be able to see Iowa State compete at the level that they do. The Big 12 just so happens to be the platform. If we are squeezed out of that for the reasons I mentioned previously then I, my investment and the University is harmed.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 491
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    Wouldn't be the most frivolous lawsuit ever filed. But it would be close.
    Don't down play it, it could easily compete for most frivolous.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm spending money to be able to see Iowa State compete at the level that they do. The Big 12 just so happens to be the platform. If we are squeezed out of that for the reasons I mentioned previously then I, my investment and the University is harmed.
    So when/if Iowa State isn't competing at the level you would like you are free to stop donating money. I move to strike this from the record. OBJECTION YOUR HONOR! Overruled. Sorry, I tried, let's let this thread die a painful death now.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 262

Sounds like a fantastic way for lawyers to make some money.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Sounds like a fantastic way for lawyers to make some money.
    You may be on to something, the OP is likely a lawyer looking to score a big pay day.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    So when/if Iowa State isn't competing at the level you would like you are free to stop donating money.
    By competing at the level I'd like I mean a conference and opponents the caliber of the Big 12. I've donated quite a bit of money actually and I intend to keep doing so. I'm not donating the amount of money I do now if we are playing Wyoming. There are power conferences being formed, if only for football, and we are in trouble.

Baylor's threat of legal action is exactly what I'm talking about. College football is controlled by ESPN and they will dictate who plays on TV, for how much and who then gets to compete for the national title. We are not in that conversation.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

Yeah, you paid for something and you got it. You don't have an investment in the university because you buy season tickets. You have a tickets to games. You don't get a say in what goes on in the university because you buy tickets, or in other words you don't have a legally protected interest in the university. When you buy a ticket all you have is legally protected interest in the ticket. If the ticket is stolen, or if the university doesn't honor the ticket then you have legal recourse but buying a ticket does not give you a legal protected interset in the University.

"But you know that old thing, live fast, die young? Not my way. Live fast, sure, live too bloody fast sometimes, but die young? Die old. That's the way- not orthodox, I don't live by "the rules" you know." - David Brent