Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Game Parking Cost

It has been a few years since I attended at game at the Jack. Saturday night, I parked way south of the stadium on a grass field. I was charged $20, which I think is way too high, particularly for the location I was parking at. Not good at all.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 43

Re: Game Parking Cost

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneCurt View Post
    It has been a few years since I attended at game at the Jack. Saturday night, I parked way south of the stadium on a grass field. I was charged $20, which I think is way too high, particularly for the location I was parking at. Not good at all.
    Near VetMed? It's not that far. ISU fans are spoiled. Go to any other major university football game and try to park that close to the stadium for $20. At least your $20 went to the A.D.

Prospect
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

It has been that price for a few years now I think. They charge what people will pay, and people are obviously paying.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Several lower cost options are available. You can ride with someone. Park at k mart or another business and walk a few miles. Take a bus. Take a taxi from a free parking lot. Get a parking pass that in the long run saves money. They have no problem filling the lots for the games and I could see them raise it even more, supply and demand.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by F5cy View Post
    Near VetMed? It's not that far. ISU fans are spoiled. Go to any other major university football game and try to park that close to the stadium for $20. At least your $20 went to the A.D.
    No joke, most places you cant even park near the stadium for near that price. I think we are very spoiled by being fans of ISU. The vet med is a 5 minute walk even less if you have to pee.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

Well . . if it makes you feel any better . . I bought my daughter a bottle of water and a small ice cream cone . . for 9 bucks. Total rip off.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 117

Park in the MU parking garage. I've never spent more than $10 parking in there when parking for a football game.

Starter
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

Not saying I condone this, but I remember back in the day that if you parked on the streets West of Beach you could park on the No Parking side for about a 60%-80% discount on the paid parking in the lots...

A n y vio la tio n o f any p arking re gula tio ns o f this cha p te r, o r o f S ec tio n 2 2 .8 (sno w ro ute s), m ay b e
    c h arg e d b y p la c in g a no tic e o f v iola t io n a nd fin e o n th e v e hic le so p a r ke d . Th e amou nt o f th e fin e p a ya b le fo r ea c h
    viola t ion of Se ction 18.28 (over t ime pa rking) sha l l be ten dolla r s ($10.00) . Howeve r , if the fine is pa id wi thin the fir s t
    s even (7) days of the da te of the viola tion, five dolla r s ($5.00) of the fine amount will be wa ived. The amount of fine
    payable for all other parking violations, except Section 18.18(1) (persons with disabilities parking), including snow route
    viola tions , sha ll be fifte en dolla r s ($15.00) . Howeve r , i f the fine is pa id within the fir st s even (7) days of the da te of the
    vio la tio n, five d o lla rs ($ 5 .0 0 ) o f the fine a m o unt will b e wa ive d . A ny fine s tha t re m ain unp a id afte r thirty (3 0 ) d ays fro m
    the d a te o f the vio la tio n will b e d ee m ed co nte ste d a nd m ay b e p ro se cute d

$5 dollars for a parking ticket if paid within 7 days...

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 4

I've been to stadiums where you pay $40 to $50 for locations we pay $20 for. Yes the prices are higher than they once were but compared to what prices are across the country it's still a pretty fair deal.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by thisISnextyear View Post
    Not saying I condone this, but I remember back in the day that if you parked on the streets West of Beach you could park on the No Parking side for about a 60%-80% discount on the paid parking in the lots...

A n y vio la tio n o f any p arking re gula tio ns o f this cha p te r, o r o f S ec tio n 2 2 .8 (sno w ro ute s), m ay b e
    c h arg e d b y p la c in g a no tic e o f v iola t io n a nd fin e o n th e v e hic le so p a r ke d . Th e amou nt o f th e fin e p a ya b le fo r ea c h
    viola t ion of Se ction 18.28 (over t ime pa rking) sha l l be ten dolla r s ($10.00) . Howeve r , if the fine is pa id wi thin the fir s t
    s even (7) days of the da te of the viola tion, five dolla r s ($5.00) of the fine amount will be wa ived. The amount of fine
    payable for all other parking violations, except Section 18.18(1) (persons with disabilities parking), including snow route
    viola tions , sha ll be fifte en dolla r s ($15.00) . Howeve r , i f the fine is pa id within the fir st s even (7) days of the da te of the
    vio la tio n, five d o lla rs ($ 5 .0 0 ) o f the fine a m o unt will b e wa ive d . A ny fine s tha t re m ain unp a id afte r thirty (3 0 ) d ays fro m
    the d a te o f the vio la tio n will b e d ee m ed co nte ste d a nd m ay b e p ro se cute d

Ask the few people who tried that last weekend...they weren't very happy their vehicles got towed even though signs explicitly said parking rules would be enforced.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

This is the Big 12 (at least for a few more days). This ain't intramurals brotha. Sincerely, Dan Hawkins.

Really, name one thing fans aren't gouged on around the stadium? It's the cost of major college football. Pay it or don't. Think of it as a donation. It's like lube, makes it hurt less.

Last edited by Senolcyc; 09-06-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 301

Quote Originally Posted by thisISnextyear View Post

I've heard this from alot of people, but I think it is changing. There was something in the Ames Tribune recently that addressed the "cheap gameday parking" phenomenon and the fact that the parking department is self-sustaining. However, the article talked about increased fees, not towing. I suspect the towing may have had to do with people parking in front of driveways, fire hydrants, or making a street too narrow.

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Madclone1 View Post
    Well . . if it makes you feel any better . . I bought my daughter a bottle of water and a small ice cream cone . . for 9 bucks. Total rip off.
    Welcome to the world of stadium concession pricing. This isnt anything new.