Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Nebraska Stabbed in the Back by Wisconsin & Michigan

Oh my. I need to repent because I can't stop laughing over this story from the B1G.

The Big Ten downplayed Nebraska's ouster from the Association of American Universities this spring, and the league continued to roll out the red carpet for Big Red during its transition to the league.

There wasn't much the league could do, as Nebraska was just two months away from officially entering the Big Ten.

But the importance of AAU membership didn't waver for the Big Ten's academic leaders. It's very fair to ask whether the Big Ten would have admitted Nebraska had the school lost its AAU membership before June 2010.

Now there's this: according to a Lincoln Journal Star report, two Big Ten schools apparently didn't think Nebraska belonged in the AAU.
    Nebraska failed to garner the 21 votes it needed last April to remain in the Association of American Universities, a confederation of more than 60 top research institutions that collectively nets more than half of all federal research funds and awards more than half of the doctoral degrees in the nation. It was confirmed that UNL fell three votes short.
    Emails and letters obtained by the Journal Star after a series of open-records requests indicate that Wisconsin and Michigan did not support UNL during its turbulent and unsuccessful AAU membership review earlier this year.
    Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman wrote in an April 11 email to his vice chancellors that the school "lost two Big Ten colleagues -- Wisconsin and Michigan." The voting was secret, so Perlman couldn't confirm whether Wisconsin and Michigan opposed Nebraska, but after trying to garner votes from AAU members during a meeting in Washington, the chancellor certainly held that belief.

Carolyn "Biddy" Martin, the former Wisconsin chancellor who voted on Nebraska, since has left to become president of Amherst College. Michigan president Mary Sue Coleman remains in her role.
    "It's not fair to say Wisconsin voted against Nebraska," Perlman told the Journal Star. "It's the president of Wisconsin, who is no longer the president of Wisconsin, and the president of Michigan."
    Perlman said he didn't feel betrayed by the Wisconsin and Michigan administrators.
    "I guess I was disappointed," he said.
    The story provides many more details about Nebraska's departure from the AAU, but the Big Ten connection is notable, if nothing else. Perlman not surprisingly downplays what allegedly happened, saying he's "not concerned at all" and is "moving forward."

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 12

Re: Nebraska Stabbed in the Back by Wisconsin & Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by QBUMizzou View Post
    Oh my. I need to repent because I can't stop laughing over this story from the B1G.
    What's funny? UNL is in the CIC and Missouri isn't.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 707

I would hope people wouldn't vote with their conference for the academic credentials, otherwise it is just an incestuous organization.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Emails and letters obtained by the Journal Star after a series of open-records requests indicate that Wisconsin and Michigan did not support UNL during its turbulent and unsuccessful AAU membership review earlier this year.
    The emails and letters hint at dissent within the Big Ten and call into question the pretext on which UNL was invited to join it.
    With every other Big Ten school holding AAU membership, UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman told the Chicago Tribune in 2010, it was doubtful that UNL would have been invited to join the Big Ten had it not been an AAU member.
    But emails suggest the leaders of two Big Ten schools -- Michigan and Wisconsin -- were among the 44 university presidents that didn't support keeping Nebraska in the AAU.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Slick move by Osborne to sneak in at the last minute.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The emails and letters hint at dissent within the Big Ten and call into question the pretext on which UNL was invited to join it.
    With every other Big Ten school holding AAU membership, UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman told the Chicago Tribune in 2010, it was doubtful that UNL would have been invited to join the Big Ten had it not been an AAU member.
    But emails suggest the leaders of two Big Ten schools -- Michigan and Wisconsin -- were among the 44 university presidents that didn't support keeping Nebraska in the AAU.
    So, it's all about TV football money? I never would've guessed...

Again, the B1G isn't kicking UNL out and they now have entre to the CIC. UNL is getting the last laugh here.

RIP Janice
    9 posts

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    I would hope people wouldn't vote with their conference for the academic credentials, otherwise it is just an incestuous organization.
    Apparently, that is exactly what Perlman was hoping for.

documents reveal that Perlman caught the AAU's ire when he alerted other Big Ten presidents to Nebraska's membership review. Perlman sent a copy to every Big Ten president of the same packet he prepared for the AAU review committee, along with a letter explaining the situation. Berdahl, the AAU president, criticized Perlman in a tersely worded letter for publicizing the review.

"Perhaps we have not made it sufficiently clear that to protect the institutions involved, we have considered this stage of the process to be confidential," Berdahl wrote. Berdahl suggested the UNL chancellor was looking for supportive Big Ten leaders to lobby other college presidents.

Perlman then sent another letter to his Big Ten colleagues and Berdahl, rejecting the implication he was lobbying and instead saying he owed an explanation of what was happening to the presidents who had just invited UNL to the Big Ten.

But in April, Gee implied in a letter to Perlman that he was campaigning on Nebraska's behalf. "Certainly, we are working the phone lines," Gee wrote. "You will, or I will, become the new president of the anti-AAU, if necessary."

In a separate letter, the Ohio State leader suggested that he and Perlman "form an uprising akin to which took place in Egypt." In an interview with the Journal Star last week, Gee said, "Those comments were made in the heat of battle and probably I would temper them."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324

Go figure - Nebraska destabilizing yet another conference. Keep this up and they'll garner a reputation as bad as Texas...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post

Again, the B1G isn't kicking UNL out and they now have entire to the CIC. UNL is getting the last laugh here.
    I suppose, but I love how these articles expose the true "unity" of the B1G.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Btw, OSU's Gee seems to be equally moronic as Deloss Dodds.

He needs to put some duct tape over his mouth because he makes a fool of himself every time he speaks.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 6

I would certainly hope they wouldn't vote for them to be in the AAU solely because of their conference. I actually respect Michigan and Wisconsin more for this vote. I mean, we know its all about football money, but that doesn't mean football has to take academic integrity down with it.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hmm, that's weird. Someone changed the word entre to entire in your quote.

Anyway, it behooves the B1G for UNL to not suck. They will prop UNL up over the next few years.

RIP Janice
    9 posts

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

Good for Mary Sue Coleman. Before Michigan she was president at Iowa. Her vote here suggests she would have preferred Iowa State (or Missouri) over Nebraska for admission to the Big Ten (but there is no way to know that).

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post

Again, the B1G isn't kicking UNL out and they now have entre to the CIC. UNL is getting the last laugh here.
    Entry to CIC is certainly not a bad thing, but its benefits for the university as a whole is blown out of proportion. At its root it provides greater efficiency and access to knowledge for the students at a particular university. In my three years at Iowa I wouldn't say it was distinctly beneficial to myself.

In fact, I was annoyed that many journal articles I needed were always available to Ohio State through Ohio Link (which I believe is centered at tOSU) but that CIC agreement somehow didn't apply to that.

Kinnick smells like syrup.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 61

Wait just a minute there pardner. Didn't Missouri kick off this whole realignment fever several years ago by publicly stating ther desire to be in the Big 10? Those could be "your people" your making fun of.