Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 37

After Four Watches (Long)

So now I have watched the UNI game four times. The first time was obviously just as a fan. Then I watched once for the QB/recievers, once for lines/LBers and once for the secondary/RBs. Here's what I saw:

QB/WRs

-Steele wasn't as bad early as I thought. He made mistakes obviously but I thought he did a lot of good things with his legs and he never seemed to make mistakes because he was rattled, more he made mistakes because he knew we needed to make plays. I'm a fan of the guy. The two throws he made to Lenz on that last drive were pro throws.

-Money wasn't as bad as I thought. I had the one really bad drop on that last drive but that wasn't huge to me. Hornes was bigger. The others I don't know if I would call "drops." They surely weren't easy catches. To me, it was obvious by the amount of PI call on his corner that Money was a handful for him. Money needs to get better but I'm certainly not ready to give up on him.

-Josh Lenz is really good at simply getting it done. He get's open and he catches the ball. He is our best all around reciever.

-Aaron Horne is also good. He had the one big drop, however, he made a couple plays and is tough to get to the ground.

Defensive Line/Linebacker

-Willie Scott was all over the place. He does a really nice job for someone who is undersized.

-Lattimer had a quite game but again, he seems to be all over the place.

-We are in trouble if Neal has to play much in the interior. He just isn't big enough.

-McDonough had his guy(s) shoved into the backfield on a consistent basis. The problem became getting off the blocks to stop the run.

-Our pressure wasn't terrible. It was far from great but we got decent pressure. The problems came when Rennie was pressured and no one contained him or made a tackle.

-We had a tough time stopping the run in the middle. Again, some of that was Rennie, but IMO, the interior line and Lbers, save Knott, need to be able to close holes and make tackles.

-Before his ejection, I thought Morgan did a nice job and was in the right place a lot. He will be a good player.

-Jake Knott is really good.

Offensive Line

-In terms of running the ball, they weren't very good. There were little to no holes and we didn't get to the second level at all in terms of blocking. Hopefully KO and Hicks being back will help us out. We were really young last game.

-The pass protection was, I think, better than I initially thought it was. I think Jantz, at times, made it look worse than it was. There were a few times he had a pocket built up and took off. There were also a few times with great protection and he possibly just didn't have anyone open.

Secondary

-Leonard Johnson and Jeremy Reeves played really well. They were in great position all game.

-I thought Benton looked like he knew what he was doing. He was strong in run support when needed and was in great position a couple times on balls thrown down the field.

-Washington was another guy who was all over the place. He had a bunch of tackles.

-I have really high hopes for this secondary. If we can shore up the Dline and help them out, I think they could be really good.

Running Backs

-They didn't have much of a chance due to the blocking.

-I really like James White. He finds a crease and hits it. If the blocking is going to be what it was last game, I feel he could be out best option.

-Shontrelle was fine. With his style though, he has a hard time if he can't find a little open find. I don't think he hits holes as hard White does.

Overall, I feel a little better. When we take into account missing players and things, the performance shouldn't have been that surprising. Jantz seemed to find some comfort later and I think he will continue to get better. I'm hoping we can chalk up a lot of the mistakes to first game jitters or whatever you want to call it.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 84

Re: After Four Watches (Long)

After watching it 3 times myself as well I agree with everything you have said. My initial reaction at the pass protection has really softened after watching the O Line. Steele was leaving the pocket very early which made them look bad sometimes.

Also, Jensen is much more effective at DT than Neal.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    After watching it 3 times myself as well I agree with everything you have said. My initial reaction at the pass protection has really softened after watching the O Line. Steele was leaving the pocket very early which made them look bad sometimes.

Also, Jensen is much more effective at DT than Neal.
    I forgot about Jensen. He was a pleasant surprise to me actually. He wasn't a game changer but he got some pressure at times and didn't get blown up.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I feel as if there are just as many question marks about this team now after the UNI game as there were before it. This team truly could be one of the best in ISU history, or could really struggle all season long. It's so hard to tell based on the performance on Saturday.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 20

Where are you guys watching the replay?

Legend
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 282

Glad that you guys got to take a close look. Thanks!

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 14

Receivers still need to figure out how to run hard routes. We just jog routes FAR too often. Especially when they see Jantz on the run...don't just keep jogging down the field..come back to the ball. Do the little things well and the big things will take care of themselves.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCY23 View Post
    Here

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 2

I agree almost completely with your analysis. Right after the game I came and posted how, at least early on, Steele was giving up early on reads, or making poor decisions when he still had protection, and I was lambasted by some posters about how it was ALL our offensive line. Sure, they missed some pass protection, but our offensive line's biggest problem was on the run. Finally somebody who agrees with me.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,104
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCY23 View Post
    Iowa State v. Northern Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Thanks

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Money should have had that second INT. Could have been a score.

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 18

This is pretty much what I thought as well. I thought the pass blocking was pretty good, but Jantz was just taking off with the ball rather than waiting for a receiver to come open, especially on the last two drives of the game.

I wasn't sure about the run blocking. It kind of looked to me that on most occasions our OL was maintaining their blocks, but UNI played solid aggressive defense and limited the carries to short gains.

I've only watched the replay into the second quarter, but in the first quarter Jantz overthrew a wide open Lenz that would have been a TD, and later on threw low and behind Reynolds on what COULD have been another TD with a well placed pass. So it should have been at least 7-3, probably 14-3 by the end of the first with good QB play. If Jantz improves steadily throughout the year, I still think we could be pretty good this year.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

KO has been hurt for quite some time now, I dont expect him to play much next week, His ankle is in real bad shape. I was glad to see him try to tough it out against UNI, But he just wasnt KO, and watch closely, One of Steele's INTs came because KO blew his block almost immediately, Steele went into panic mode.

Its tough to play against an offense like that, We will have to make a lot of improvements, But Iowas rushing offense will not be near as big of a threat, they will be easier to game plan against. That alone will help our defense a ton.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

good summary - rewatching it, I saw open receivers and some overthrown balls but overall when it mattered obviously Jantz found his man. The line play on all running plays was uninspired but agree that Jantz seemed to jump out of a pocket that did exist pretty early on a lot of pass plays, but overall line play maybe not quite as bad as thought...the turnovers and early 3 and outs were the difference in the game, the defense was more than adequate, just have to get the offense going and I think we will see an improved team this year