Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

LED VS LCD

Ok, I am sure this has already been discussed by Cyclone Fanatic, but we are looking into buying a new 46" or 55" tv, and was wondering which is the best tv. I have read several reviews, but just wanted to get some input from the Cyclone country.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 6

Re: LED VS LCD

Quote Originally Posted by cyfreddy View Post
    Ok, I am sure this has already been discussed by Cyclone Fanatic, but we are looking into buying a new 46" or 55" tv, and was wondering which is the best tv. I have read several reviews, but just wanted to get some input from the Cyclone country.

Purchased a 46" SONY LED TV 120 HZ and absolutely love it

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 133

Ive heard of issues with edge-lit LEDs and light bleeding through on the corners of the screens (the 'flashlight effect' as its called).

Recruit
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Ive heard of issues with edge-lit LEDs and light bleeding through on the corners of the screens (the 'flashlight effect' as its called).
    same with LED's.

LED tvs probably arent what you think they are (then ones your looking at anyway). LED and LCD tvs are pretty much the same thing, outside of the lamp. LED tvs have an LED lamp, but the overall technology isnt really different just the light source. The "LED" tvs you see today will be a bit thinner, a bit cooler, and a bit more energy efficient than an LCD, but thats really about it. The "LED" tv's you're seeing advertised are really just hybrid LCD/LED TV's. There are true LED screens out there, but they're not in marketed TV's yet.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 238

My dad just bought this Amazon.com: Samsung UN55D6300 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black): Electronics about a month ago.

A few tips before you go shopping

- I would read up about LED's so you have a good understanding (http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399 was a good resource for me)

- Specs are important, but whether you like the picture is more important. Don't get too caught in the technical specs. A 4,000,000:1 contrast ratio in reality is not much different than a 5,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

- Stick with a well-known brand. I'm sure some people have had luck with less well-known brands, but in my opinion it's more of a gamble.

A few years ago on Christmas my mom and I were looking for a 26" TV for my dad to put in their bedroom. It came down to an LG and Samsung. The Samsung was slightly more expensive than the LG. I looked at the specs and they were almost identical. My mom thought the Samsung had a better picture, so I adjusted the setting on the Samsung and was able to make it look about the same as the LG. She got my point, and we got the LG. Moral of the story, all the TVs in a store don't have the same settings. It wouldn't shock me if the more expensive ones were set up to look better on the floor. Having said that, make sure the two TVs you're comparing are of comparable specs, similar brand names, and around the same price before you come to that conclusion. I'm talking a difference of a couple hundred dollars.

Another thing, make sure you read reviews of the actual TV you're going to buy before you make the purchase.

Edit: The above posters are correct, the majority of LEDs at stores are Edge-lit, and therefore not that much different than LCD's in terms of picture.

Last edited by Cyclones01; 09-05-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51

I've heard plasma is still the best on the market.

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 4

LED with Fast Action Technology, and no glare screen is the way to go. If your more interested in price, you can get a good plasma for dirt cheap right now. LED>LCD>PLASMA but then LED$$$>LCD$$>PLASMA$

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    I've heard plasma is still the best on the market.
    Best is relative. Each type of TV offers their own strengths and weaknesses.

If you have kids that play Videogames, need to wall mount it, or have the TV located in a small room then Plasma likely isn't for you. Kids playing videogames like Madden on a Plasma will result in screen burn from logo's (such as the EA in the corner), Plasma's use more energy and run hotter, they're heavy as hell compared to comparably sized LED or LCD tv, and they have a shorter life than an LED or LCD tv.

That said their black is more of a true-black than an LED or LCD.

LED and LCD TV's use less energy (sometimes a lot less), won't have screen burn, are light enough to mount using only 1 person, and are lower profile.

That said their black depth isn't as good as a Plasma.

The things I look at when buying a TV:

1. I didn't want a plasma. My brother has a plasma (purchased in the last 2 years) and it screen burns. It's also too heavy to handle by myself. Fast scenes such as cars, or panning across a room in a film can cause a "stutter" on his screen.

2. Price. LCD's are cheap as dirt, and LED's are coming down. The saved energy for LED isn't enough to make up the difference to me, so if I can find a 50" LCD of the same brand as spec's for the same price as a 50" LED...I'll just buy the LCD. But a lot of companies are phasing out the LCD's, so they're getting harder to find.

3. Refresh rate.....for a big screen I wouldn't go to a 60 MHZ refresh rate on an LED/LCD TV. A low refresh rate will make the TV struggle to keep up with fast moving images..it's very apparent to me (I think to most people). Good thing is 120 MHZ works great for me (46" Blu Ray full 1080P, etc.) and I didn't feel the need to go up to 240 MHZ (they were very expensive when I bought my TV).

4. Brand. Samsung seems to be tops, Sony a close 2nd....but you'll pay a premium for both. I can personally see a large dropoff from those 2 brands to the mid-tier brands like Toshiba, Panasonic, etc. Best Buy seems to push LG's....but I had a bad experience (bought a 27" LG in Ames about 6 years back....it broke in a week...literally had to return it 4 times to get one that worked....must have gotten a bad batch) and I don't think they look great. The SHARP Aquos looks pretty good, and I considered it, but I got a great deal on my Sony.

In my personal experience I love my Sony. We bought my parents a 50" Samsung a year ago, and it's sharp as a tack. Actually too sharp for my taste. There's something about watching Blu Ray's on that screen that makes them look fake. It's really an odd thing, I can watch a Blu Ray on my Bravia and it looks fine...but put it on their TV and it looks like a movie set....it's so sharp that it looks fake.

Maybe the image is too good?

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tredici View Post
    LED with Fast Action Technology, and no glare screen is the way to go. If your more interested in price, you can get a good plasma for dirt cheap right now. LED>LCD>PLASMA but then LED$$$>LCD$$>PLASMA$
    How's an Iowa State fan become a Dolphin fan?

I bleed Aqua and Orange myself.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51

Quote Originally Posted by daphins View Post
    Best is relative. Each type of TV offers their own strengths and weaknesses.

If you have kids that play Videogames, need to wall mount it, or have the TV located in a small room then Plasma likely isn't for you. Kids playing videogames like Madden on a Plasma will result in screen burn from logo's (such as the EA in the corner), Plasma's use more energy and run hotter, they're heavy as hell compared to comparably sized LED or LCD tv, and they have a shorter life than an LED or LCD tv.

That said their black is more of a true-black than an LED or LCD.

LED and LCD TV's use less energy (sometimes a lot less), won't have screen burn, are light enough to mount using only 1 person, and are lower profile.

That said their black depth isn't as good as a Plasma.

The things I look at when buying a TV:

1. I didn't want a plasma. My brother has a plasma (purchased in the last 2 years) and it screen burns. It's also too heavy to handle by myself. Fast scenes such as cars, or panning across a room in a film can cause a "stutter" on his screen.

2. Price. LCD's are cheap as dirt, and LED's are coming down. The saved energy for LED isn't enough to make up the difference to me, so if I can find a 50" LCD of the same brand as spec's for the same price as a 50" LED...I'll just buy the LCD. But a lot of companies are phasing out the LCD's, so they're getting harder to find.

3. Refresh rate.....for a big screen I wouldn't go to a 60 MHZ refresh rate on an LED/LCD TV. A low refresh rate will make the TV struggle to keep up with fast moving images..it's very apparent to me (I think to most people). Good thing is 120 MHZ works great for me (46" Blu Ray full 1080P, etc.) and I didn't feel the need to go up to 240 MHZ (they were very expensive when I bought my TV).

4. Brand. Samsung seems to be tops, Sony a close 2nd....but you'll pay a premium for both. I can personally see a large dropoff from those 2 brands to the mid-tier brands like Toshiba, Panasonic, etc. Best Buy seems to push LG's....but I had a bad experience (bought a 27" LG in Ames about 6 years back....it broke in a week...literally had to return it 4 times to get one that worked....must have gotten a bad batch) and I don't think they look great. The SHARP Aquos looks pretty good, and I considered it, but I got a great deal on my Sony.

In my personal experience I love my Sony. We bought my parents a 50" Samsung a year ago, and it's sharp as a tack. Actually too sharp for my taste. There's something about watching Blu Ray's on that screen that makes them look fake. It's really an odd thing, I can watch a Blu Ray on my Bravia and it looks fine...but put it on their TV and it looks like a movie set....it's so sharp that it looks fake.

Maybe the image is too good?
    I thought Plasmas no longer have a burn in problem. I also thought they had way less input lag then LCD and LED's do for videogaming. Also, isn't their refresh rate 600 MHZ?

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 701
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 20

I thought Plasmas no longer have a burn in problem. I also thought they had way less input lag then LCD and LED's do for videogaming. Also, isn't their refresh rate 600 MHZ?
    Mostly correct. You can still get burn in, but there have been improvements to help prevent it. As fas as screen quality, plasma still outranks the others. They have their disadvantages also like weight and glare in sunny rooms. Do a google search for plasma vs LCD vs LED. Plasma still wins most of the categories for rating a tv.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

600 MHZ refresh rate in Plasma vs. 120 MHZ refresh rate in a LCD/LED isn't a real comparison. Yes the refresh rate is higher in a plasma, but they display the picture differently differently, so it really doesn't mean anything. It's not like comparing MPH in a car A to car B...it's more like comparing a 3 GHZ single core processor to a 1.5. GHZ dual core processor...or something like that. Different speeds, same result. You can take refresh rate out of the discussion for plasma's.

And you still get burn in. It may be true that it is reduced to what it was originally (didn't have an early gen one) but I've seen the what they're making now, and my brothers gets a lot of burn in. He's cycling that stupid color bar screen at least once every 2 weeks.

I like his TV, nothing wrong with it, it's just a different technology. I will say this though.....his TV heats up his living room quite a bit compared to the LCD's.

The Lag is something that's hard to explain. It's not a refresh rate thing as far as I'm aware, and I'm not sure what causes it. There's a specific scene the the salesman used to show it to us in the store.....the scene from "remember the titans" where they're in the hospital after the crash I think. And the scene opens up and pans across the room...there's blinds that take up the screen and it caused the plasma TV's to stutter for some reason. I'm not sure what caused it, but it was very apparent on the plasma's.

Last edited by daphins; 09-05-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 944
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by daphins View Post
    600 MHZ refresh rate in Plasma vs. 120 MHZ refresh rate in a LCD/LED isn't a real comparison. Yes the refresh rate is higher in a plasma, but they display the picture differently differently, so it really doesn't mean anything. It's not like comparing MPH in a car A to car B...it's more like comparing a 3 GHZ single core processor to a 1.5. GHZ dual core processor...or something like that. Different speeds, same result. You can take refresh rate out of the discussion for plasma's.

And you still get burn in. It may be true that it is reduced to what it was originally (didn't have an early gen one) but I've seen the what they're making now, and my brothers gets a lot of burn in. He's cycling that stupid color bar screen at least once every 2 weeks.

I like his TV, nothing wrong with it, it's just a different technology. I will say this though.....his TV heats up his living room quite a bit compared to the LCD's.

The Lag is something that's hard to explain. It's not a refresh rate thing as far as I'm aware, and I'm not sure what causes it. There's a specific scene the the salesman used to show it to us in the store.....the scene from "remember the titans" where they're in the hospital after the crash I think. And the scene opens up and pans across the room...there's blinds that take up the screen and it caused the plasma TV's to stutter for some reason. I'm not sure what caused it, but it was very apparent on the plasma's.
    What you are seeing is called "Judder," and it comes from the native film format of 24p. Since movies are filmed at 24 frames a second if there is a big sweeping pan covering a lot of area, the film can't keep up and it "tears" the image. Your TV isn't causing it, its just showing it in its most naked form. You can see it in the theater too, but the way the projectors shutter works helps to hide it. Running a 24p source at 60i or on an LCD sometimes makes it less likely to notice, but its still there, just being blurred out.

You are correct on refresh rates being different. Ignore what the refresh rate is on a plasma. The pixels all fire faster than the source and all plasma TVs are really 60hz. The bigger numbers are them dividing the TV into say 10 quadrants then saying 60hz X all 10 quadrants = 600hz. They know people will think the bigger number is better.

On an LCD or LED I wouldn't go lower than 120hz on anything higher than a 40 inch but the jump to 240hz isn't worth the cost difference imo.

I still prefer plasmas. They are heavier, hotter and less efficient but handle fast movements better and have a better contrast ratio. Burn in isn't really a problem anymore but they are harder to see in a brightly lit room like a living room with lots of windows.

All the stuff about LCDs and LEDs being basically the same is true. Its the same tech, just the backlight is different. LED backed ones are lighter, more efficient, cooler and have a very even brightness, they just cost more.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

I had to weigh in, Plasma refresh rate really has nothing to do with motion blur. pixels in a plasma are much faster in their ability to change than an LCD of any kind, speed advantage goes to plasma. Plasma can display much better blacks as well but are much more of a power hog, can have glare issues, and generally cant get as bright as an LCD.

what it does come down to however is what YOU like. Then there is no wrong answer.
    I've got a plasma in my basement and LCD upstairs and i Like em both.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 701
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 20

Let me just add this. Unless it is for your bedroom, go big or go home. If you are debating between 46" and 55", get the 55". You will eventually regret not getting the bigger. I have a 42" and a 46". Selling my 42" to my mother and went to get a 55". Took my own advice and got a 60" instead. Once i got it set up, I was so happy I went bigger.