Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Personnel

So just to recap everything, as it is difficult to keep up while watching in the stands.

1. These guys did not play at all due to 1-game suspension:
    --2nd best/most experienced OL Hicks
    --most experienced/starting WR Darks
    --1b starting DT Laing.
    I think we missed these guys dearly last night, especially Hicks and Laing along the lines. Good to have them back next week.

2. These guys played part of the game but did not complete it:
    --most experienced/starting DT Rump (knee surgery 8 days ago)
    --starting DE Maggitt (potential season-ending knee injury?)
    --best/most experienced OL Osemele (ankle?)
    --starting nickel back/OLD Morgan (ejected)
    Obviously this is a bit more concerning about the overall picture of the season, as we were down to 2nd and 3rd stringers last night on OL/DL and it showed.

3. These guys played and were injured but appear to still be able to play:
    --starting S Benton (knee?)
    --best LB Knott (arm)
    --starting RB Johnson (bell rung?)
    --starting WR Reynolds (broken toe)
    I'm pretty worried about Knott, he was in a lot of pain and limited in some things. As good as he is, he will have a tough time getting off blocks and tackling in space with 1 arm.

So in summary, our team is already extremely banged up 1-game through. That is a ton of impact players who missed at least some portion of the game, as well as the 2 freshman WR's who as far as I could tell did not play at all. Like I mentioned, the most noticeable difference was on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Am I happy with how we looked last night and how it projects for the rest of the games on our schedule? Absolutely not. They have a lot of work to do, regardless of all these player absences and there should be no excuse. However, reflecting on last night I have come around to at least appreciating how hard the guys played and the fact of the matter they made a great comeback and got the W. The ultimate goal of the game is to win, does not matter against who or by how much, so I will not be complaining about being 1-0 instead of 0-1. I am still optimistic that if we are close to full-strength we can be competitive. I think first games should be taken with a grain salt due to inexperience/rust, especially against an in-state rival as talented and motivated as UNI as and how familiar they are with our program.

Coaches and team have their work cut out for the upcoming schedule, but anything can happen. Let's continue the great support that was shown last night!

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

Re: Personnel

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreClone View Post
    So just to recap everything, as it is difficult to keep up while watching in the stands.

1. These guys did not play at all due to 1-game suspension:
    --2nd best/most experienced OL Hicks
    --most experienced/starting WR Darks
    --1b starting DT Laing.
    I think we missed these guys dearly last night, especially Hicks and Laing along the lines. Good to have them back next week.

2. These guys played part of the game but did not complete it:
    --most experienced/starting DT Rump (knee surgery 8 days ago)
    --starting DE Maggitt (potential season-ending knee injury?)
    --best/most experienced OL Osemele (ankle?)
    --starting nickel back/OLD Morgan (ejected)
    Obviously this is a bit more concerning about the overall picture of the season, as we were down to 2nd and 3rd stringers last night on OL/DL and it showed.

3. These guys played and were injured but appear to still be able to play:
    --starting S Benton (knee?)
    --best LB Knott (arm)
    --starting RB Johnson (bell rung?)
    --starting WR Reynolds (broken toe)
    I'm pretty worried about Knott, he was in a lot of pain and limited in some things. As good as he is, he will have a tough time getting off blocks and tackling in space with 1 arm.

So in summary, our team is already extremely banged up 1-game through. That is a ton of impact players who missed at least some portion of the game, as well as the 2 freshman WR's who as far as I could tell did not play at all. Like I mentioned, the most noticeable difference was on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

Am I happy with how we looked last night and how it projects for the rest of the games on our schedule? Absolutely not. They have a lot of work to do, regardless of all these player absences and there should be no excuse. However, reflecting on last night I have come around to at least appreciating how hard the guys played and the fact of the matter they made a great comeback and got the W. The ultimate goal of the game is to win, does not matter against who or by how much, so I will not be complaining about being 1-0 instead of 0-1. I am still optimistic that if we are close to full-strength we can be competitive. I think first games should be taken with a grain salt due to inexperience/rust, especially against an in-state rival as talented and motivated as UNI as and how familiar they are with our program.

Coaches and team have their work cut out for the upcoming schedule, but anything can happen. Let's continue the great support that was shown last night!
    It will be interesting who will be playing next week of the above. I'll take a stab.

In and healthy:
    Hicks, Darks, Laing, Johnson, Reynolds.... Hicks and Darks are major upgrades. Laing helps some. Money should be a step quicker, and I bet SJ will be fine.

Guys that will play limping around a bit:
    Rump, Benton, Knott, Osemele.... Laing back helps with Rump still on the mend. Benton's injury is concerning because Iowa's offense really stresses safeties. Knot would play in this game with a boot and a cast on if needed. Fortunately, neither is. I just hope he doesn't take too many shots from Iowa's OL and big running back. KO will be back and actually be better against Iowa's DL than UNI's. KO struggles with speed. Iowa's DE's aren't quick so I expect KO to be fine but probably need a break or two for wind.

Guys that are probably out:
    Maggitt and Morgan.... Maggitt hurts against Iowa. Iowa will pound our edges with the stretch zone running plays. Then play action off of them. Latt and Nelson will get after passers, but they aren't good edge run stoppers nor have they been known to be disciplined players. Morgan doesn't hurt so much against Iowa as Matt T. is back at MLB as we won't have much nickle in against Iowa.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 14

Why are we so banged up? Off-season conditioning not what it should have been? Going to hard (not hard enough) in practice?

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I agree with Tube1.
    Sweeeeeeet...

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 11

Yes, the injuries are not good.
    If you had told me Dutch and Rosy were going to be hurt prior to the game, Id have been very very concerned about that.
    Losing those 2 guys off the DL is a catastrophic loss. Because the DL isn't exactly our strong suit.

Also, I am surprised that Knott was experiencing as much pain as has been reported on here. He broke his arm at least 5 months ago correct? Maybe longer. Seems like plenty of time for a broken arm to completely heal. Especially on a young person like Jake.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"