Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 55

Thank the football gods for UNI!

Keep the Panthers on the schedule as long as they field powerful teams. Yesterday's difficult win will do our Cyclones more good than a dozen 34-7 victories over lesser squads.

First Div. 1 game for the QB and center. The two key OLine starters out or barely able to make an appearance; two of the top three receivers out or recovering from injury; two of the three interior DLinemen out or barely able to make an appearance. . . .

And somehow this hobbled, inexperienced ISU team at key positions, still pulled out a last-second triumph over an outstanding UNI squad. What a learning experience!

If the mental part of the game looms large in a team's success, and winning breeds winning by, in part, establishing confidence and mental toughness . . . what a learning experience!

If ISU is able to re-track itself and have a decent year, it might be that yesterday's game will prove to be the key to the season. Rather than a disappointment, it could be the experience that propels us forward.

Then again, the game might be the harbinger of disasters yet to come. Myself, I'm betting the game is the harbinger of good things down the road.

UNI is good for us. UNI makes us better. Keep UNI on the schedule.

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Thank the football gods for UNI!

agree 100%

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

an early season matchup with the likes of Minnesota/Illinois would do more for us and be just as much of challenge. Struggling with an FCS team, albeit a very solid FCS team, only hurts our perception in the CFB landscape. For the haves that mock our existence in a AQ conference, they have the fodder they desire when we get taken to the brink by the likes of UNI. We don't have the TV sets to be competitive in the current landscape, we can't afford to take hits to our already shaky perception in the marketplace...

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,095
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by CloneAbuse View Post
    an early season matchup with the likes of Minnesota/Illinois would do more for us and be just as much of challenge. Struggling with an FCS team, albeit a very solid FCS team, only hurts our perception in the CFB landscape. For the haves that mock our existence in a AQ conference, they have the fodder they desire when we get taken to the brink by the likes of UNI. We don't have the TV sets to be competitive in the current landscape, we can't afford to take hits to our already shaky perception in the marketplace...
    As a native Minnesotan I would love to see us play the Gophers every year, but seeing these in-state rivalries is awesome. Playing UNI leads to such a great atmoshpere and I wouldn't want to lose that. These are the kind of games that make college football special, when it means more than TV money or national perception.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Is UNI a rival to Iowa? Does any Iowa fan claim UNI to be one of their rivals? Why is it that we consider a team in a lower division in CFB to be a legitimate rival?

The atmosphere for an opener against a geographic rival (state border) from another AQ conference would draw as much of a crowd, bring more revenue from outside the state into the state and give us more credibility when/if we win...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 260

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    Keep the Panthers on the schedule as long as they field powerful teams. Yesterday's difficult win will do our Cyclones more good than a dozen 34-7 victories over lesser squads.

First Div. 1 game for the QB and center. The two key OLine starters out or barely able to make an appearance; two of the top three receivers out or recovering from injury; two of the three interior DLinemen out or barely able to make an appearance. . . .

And somehow this hobbled, inexperienced ISU team at key positions, still pulled out a last-second triumph over an outstanding UNI squad. What a learning experience!

If the mental part of the game looms large in a team's success, and winning breeds winning by, in part, establishing confidence and mental toughness . . . what a learning experience!

If ISU is able to re-track itself and have a decent year, it might be that yesterday's game will prove to be the key to the season. Rather than a disappointment, it could be the experience that propels us forward.

Then again, the game might be the harbinger of disasters yet to come. Myself, I'm betting the game is the harbinger of good things down the road.

UNI is good for us. UNI makes us better. Keep UNI on the schedule.

UNI also needs us since Iowa is so uppity that they will want to drop them in the near future. It will be UNI and ISU against the big shot schools.

It is nice their fans can get into a game a year before crops come in by driving their combines down the road.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 7

I think that was the 4th largest crowd all-time last night (I think UNI has 3 of the top 5 with Nebraska having the other two), and that fact alone will keep UNI on the schedule.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 4

I just find it funny reading all the pre-UNI game posts (We should easily cover the spread/I'll be embarrassed if we lose to an FCB team/We are so far improved from last year/Bowl Game Potential type of team). Then everyone makes excuses as to why it was okay to just barely cruise by a team that by far outplayed us. I agree and hope that it was a good wake-up call and we come into the Iowa game with a lot of problems fixed and a degree of confidence. I am just glad that I didn't jump on the bandwagon with Jantz, just yet. He still needs prove he is making great strides with each game - especially in conference play.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by Tredici View Post
    I just find it funny reading all the pre-UNI game posts (We should easily cover the spread/I'll be embarrassed if we lose to an FCB team/We are so far improved from last year/Bowl Game Potential type of team). Then everyone makes excuses as to why it was okay to just barely cruise by a team that by far outplayed us. I agree and hope that it was a good wake-up call and we come into the Iowa game with a lot of problems fixed and a degree of confidence. I am just glad that I didn't jump on the bandwagon with Jantz, just yet. He still needs prove he is making great strides with each game - especially in conference play.

So your not a ISU fan then???

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by Tredici View Post
    The bolded is still true. It wouldve been embarrassing to lose to them. It still was embarrassing that it was so close.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 55

So, which team benefited most yesterday from its week one game?

Iowa State-UNI
    Iowa-Tennessee Tech

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!