Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 111

Bush/Reed on Iraq

Just curious if anybody watched the speeches last night, and what opinions are.

BTW, the "Reed" was not Harry (as in the rather wacky Senate Majority Leader), but rather the ex-military Senator Reed from RI.

Reed made a point that stuck with me, and if true, is very troubling and problematic. He suggested that a major problem in Iraq is the political problem of getting the major ethnic groups to work together, and that this problem is still not solved, and that Iraq will never be stable until this issue is dealt with. I agree with him on that part about Iraq not being stable until there is a solution to the ethnic group issue. Reed made it sound as if there has really been no progress on this matter.

I think this was one of the major flaws in the original Bush strategy...it was apparently assumed that once Hussein was gone, the ethnic groups that were under oppression were going to be so grateful for being liberated that they would graciously play nice with the ethnic groups that weren't oppressed. Very short-sighted...

Also, I hate it when politicians from either party drag in emails, letters, and appearances from families of soldiers who have died in action. IMO, it turns an honorable death into a politcal beanbag...

Last edited by jbhtexas; 09-14-2007 at 01:03 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,272
    Given: 629

Re: Bush/Reed on Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Just curious if anybody watched the speeches last night, and what opinions are.

BTW, the "Reed" was not Harry (as in the rather wacky Senate Majority Leader), but rather the ex-military Senator Reed from RI.

Reed made a point that stuck with me, and if true, is very troubling and problematic. He suggested that a major problem in Iraq is the political problem of getting the major ethnic groups to work together, and that this problem is still not solved, and that Iraq will never be stable until this issue is dealt with. I agree with him on that part about Iraq not being stable until there is a solution to the ethnic group issue. Reed made it sound as if there has really been no progress on this matter.

I think this was one of the major flaws in the original Bush strategy...it was apparently assumed that once Hussein was gone, the ethnic groups that were under oppression were going to be so grateful for being liberated that they would graciously play nice with the ethnic groups that weren't oppressed. Very short-sighted...

Also, I hate it when politicians from either party drag in emails, letters, and appearances from families of soldiers who have died in actions. IMO, it turns an honorable death into a politcal beanbag...
    I didn't see the speech last night, and all I have heard is the little sound bytes, so I can't really comment, except to say that I agree with your last point. I find it very distasteful too, whether they are soldiers lost or severely injured.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

you'll love this commercial then...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNTWYnPi8yc"]YouTube - Freedom's Watch - Veteran[/ame]=

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 4

COIN is a difficult task, but it seems "the surge" has helped. There are some who are adapting well to the counter-insurgency operations (mainly the Marines OO-RAH!), and beginning to bring some normalcy to some previously hostile areas. Some in the leadership chain are starting to realize that lack of gunfire does not equate to lack of progress.

Twisting results for political gain is disgusting, and it happens on both sides.

Michael Yon's Dispatches are always an excellent read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 943
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    When the conflict between ethnic groups in Iraq is brought up, I think about the problems the U.S. has encountered in the past. Before the civil rights movement there was definitely a rift between two ethnic groups, that really has never been completely erased or resolved. So why should be expect any different in Iraq? They don't have to love each other, they just need to learn to live together in a civil society. That will not happen overnight, but it doesn't mean it's cause to pack up and leave. Have patience, give it time. Iraq is an investment that I believe will pay dividends.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Hey, guess what.........there is some kind of football tomorrow.

Rookie
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

What Senator Reed said is, I believe, more realistic and more true of what's going on on the ground than what the President said. Did anyone notice how the President avoided talking about the fact that people in Anbar had started turning against Al-Qaeda before the "surge"? Also, I liked what Rachel Maddox said on MSNBC afterward, where she said something like "Well, people aren't worried about beheadings in Anbar anymore, they're just worried about being blown up," in reference to the Sunni cleric who was killed there yesterday.

Also, who are the 36 nations fighting along side us in Iraq?? Maybe there were at the very beginning, but even Britain is down to like 5 or 10,000 troops by now...

As much as I wish it were possible for there to be success in Iraq, I don't think there's anything more we can do to bring it about. It's going to take a LONG time for any sort of national reconstruction to occur there, considering there's barely an existing national government now, and many areas of the country don't even acknowledge its legitimacy. I just don't see how it makes sense to keep 130,000 of our troops in a constant war zone.

We liberated Iraq and got rid of Saddam. Now, the Iraqi people have to hold their government accountable. And, if we start leaving, maybe that will put more pressure on the Iraqi government...they'll have an "oh, crap" moment when they realize they have to come to an agreement or lose everything. There are no good options, just bad and worse, and I think it's time to be realistic and confront the truth.

My first ISU basketball game - Fred Hoiberg was on the court.
    My first ISU football game - Paul Rhoads was on the sidelines.
    But they hadn't yet reached their full potential.

SO PROUD that things have come full circle. #cyclONEnation

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isugcs View Post
    When the conflict between ethnic groups in Iraq is brought up, I think about the problems the U.S. has encountered in the past. Before the civil rights movement there was definitely a rift between two ethnic groups, that really has never been completely erased or resolved. So why should be expect any different in Iraq? They don't have to love each other, they just need to learn to live together in a civil society. That will not happen overnight, but it doesn't mean it's cause to pack up and leave. Have patience, give it time. Iraq is an investment that I believe will pay dividends.

didn't Wolfy say the war would be payed for with oil revenues once the black gold started flowing again? Pfffff.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by isugcs View Post
    How is the occupation going to payoff when the perception is that the US in the bad guy? There is growing opposition by both the Shias and the Sunnis to the ongoing military occupation. The United States has little credibility left with either community as a mediator, peacekeeper, overseer, or anything else.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    How is the occupation going to payoff when the perception is that the US in the bad guy? There is growing opposition by both the Shias and the Sunnis to the ongoing military occupation. The United States has little credibility left with either community as a mediator, peacekeeper, overseer, or anything else.

once we bomb the bejeezus out of Iran and force regime change there, everyone will love us again.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802