After going back and watching last year's UNI game...
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 0

After going back and watching last year's UNI game...

.... I'm even more scared of this game than I was before.

I know, I know.... I'm Mr. Downer... blah, blah, blah.... but how many of you have went back and watched last year's game?

That was the most deceiving score to a game that I've ever seen. You would have thought we dominated UNI, but we didn't even come close to that.

We start the game with the ball and go 3 and out. UNI was in our backfield like nobody's business. UNI gets it on their first possession and moves the ball at will down the field both running and passing. We toughen a bit in the redzone, but on 3rd down we bring the blitz, UNI's QB (Rennie) reads it perfectly and throws a dart right across the middle on a slant to the area vacated by our blitzing LB's to a wide open WR, the ball hits him right in the numbers and he drops it. He may have scored had he caught it. So they attempt a FG, and one of our guys gets a hand on it, and it's no good.

Later in the first half, UNI is driving again on us, and their RB runs right into his own guy and coughs up the football, and we get it. We did nothing to cause it. Just a total fluke of a play.

We lived off UNI miscues pretty much all night long. Yes, we had a hand in some of those, but UNI just kept shooting themselves in the foot. And the battle in the trenches on both sides of the football was probably even IMO.

But what scares me about all this, is that UNI brings virtually everyone back. I don't think we can count on all those miscues and turnovers this time around. Our QB last year had very little time to throw the ball. That HAS to change this year.

I'm not saying we can't win, I think we will, but only because we aren't bringing back our same team from last year. In last year's game, AA only played the first 3 and out series and then Tiller played the rest. And although Tiller did the best he could with limited reps in practice, etc... he was pretty bad. I think Steele will be much better than what UNI saw last year.

I'm just not going to be one of those Cyclone fans that predicts a 45-10 score or anything like that. Some Cyclone fans look at last years 27-0 score and think we dominated UNI. That couldn't be further from the truth. Our offense scored 13 pts, and UNI's offense could have easily scored 13+ pts without stupid turnovers. Those 14 pts we scored on defense could have just as easily been 14 pts for them. I just don't think we can count on that happening again this year.

I'm going to go with 27-17 Clones. I hope I'm right. And if we do blow them out in convincing and dominating fashion, then I will be the first to admit I was dead wrong. And I'll also be a LOT more excited about next week too!

CyBer

Re: After going back and watching last year's UNI game...

We dominated them, you don't get the score of 27-0 without dominating them in some fashion.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 0

Oh **** a thread by clonedude!

*goes to read thread... grabs popcorn*

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 2,081

Wow, I actually agree with Clonedude for the first time. I pointed this out several times but there's so many posters on here that refuse to accept it. We were manhandled at the LOS against these guys last season. I expect it to different tomorrow.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 38

45-10 good guys

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 115

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    .... I'm even more scared of this game than I was before.

I know, I know.... I'm Mr. Downer... blah, blah, blah.... but how many of you have went back and watched last year's game?

That was the most deceiving score to a game that I've ever seen. You would have thought we dominated UNI, but we didn't even come close to that.

We start the game with the ball and go 3 and out. UNI was in our backfield like nobody's business. UNI gets it on their first possession and moves the ball at will down the field both running and passing. We toughen a bit in the redzone, but on 3rd down we bring the blitz, UNI's QB (Rennie) reads it perfectly and throws a dart right across the middle on a slant to the area vacated by our blitzing LB's to a wide open WR, the ball hits him right in the numbers and he drops it. He may have scored had he caught it. So they attempt a FG, and one of our guys gets a hand on it, and it's no good.

Later in the first half, UNI is driving again on us, and their RB runs right into his own guy and coughs up the football, and we get it. We did nothing to cause it. Just a total fluke of a play.

We lived off UNI miscues pretty much all night long. Yes, we had a hand in some of those, but UNI just kept shooting themselves in the foot. And the battle in the trenches on both sides of the football was probably even IMO.

But what scares me about all this, is that UNI brings virtually everyone back. I don't think we can count on all those miscues and turnovers this time around. Our QB last year had very little time to throw the ball. That HAS to change this year.

I'm not saying we can't win, I think we will, but only because we aren't bringing back our same team from last year. In last year's game, AA only played the first 3 and out series and then Tiller played the rest. And although Tiller did the best he could with limited reps in practice, etc... he was pretty bad. I think Steele will be much better than what UNI saw last year.

I'm just not going to be one of those Cyclone fans that predicts a 45-10 score or anything like that. Some Cyclone fans look at last years 27-0 score and think we dominated UNI. That couldn't be further from the truth. Our offense scored 13 pts, and UNI's offense could have easily scored 13+ pts without stupid turnovers. Those 14 pts we scored on defense could have just as easily been 14 pts for them. I just don't think we can count on that happening again this year.

I'm going to go with 27-17 Clones. I hope I'm right. And if we do blow them out in convincing and dominating fashion, then I will be the first to admit I was dead wrong. And I'll also be a LOT more excited about next week too!
    The QB play on our end was the worst it has ever been in that game. The QB position must be an upgrade this season since Tiller would have been third string if he was eligible. Also do you remember how young we were on defense in that game, we were still replacing line 7-8 starters from the year before? We lost three starters on defense this season and at the end of the season was Bailey Johnson even starting? We are deeper and stronger. I admit I am a little worried, but did you watch the Wisky game last night? That is the size advantage we will have tomorrow on both lines.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 445
    Given: 117

Like you pointed out, AA played one series. Now, I couldn't watch any games last season, but I do know that Tiller could not put points on the board. If AA had stayed in for the entire game, who knows how many more points ISU puts on the board. Tiller was unable to keep drives alive. Plain and simple.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,030
    Given: 2,418

I refuse to accept it. We will annihilate them.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 115

Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    Like you pointed out, AA played one series. Now, I couldn't watch any games last season, but I do know that Tiller could not put points on the board. If AA had stayed in for the entire game, who knows how many more points ISU puts on the board. Tiller was unable to keep drives alive. Plain and simple.
    Tiller looked like Jake Christensen in that game and that is being nice. I didn't think we would ever get past the 50 in that game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,070
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 122

I'm very worried about the game tomorrow. UNI will be confident, ready to play, and have good support in the stands.

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

We didn't dominate them at all. It was a pathetic game by Iowa State. New year, new team. We will dominate them this year.

With that said, Clonedude you still think Money Reynolds is out of the year?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169

Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    I'm very worried about the game tomorrow. UNI will be confident, ready to play, and have good support in the stands.
    Don't kid yourself...all their support will be in Iowa City

Rookie
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    45-10 good guys
    When was the last time we've come even close to this? Early 2000s? Sad.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 154

We played like **** and still shut them out.

clonedude, you need help.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    We didn't dominate them at all. It was a pathetic game by Iowa State. New year, new team. We will dominate them this year.

With that said, Clonedude you still think Money Reynolds is out of the year?
    By your standards, then, we didn't dominate #8 Iowa back in 2005, then...

The only reason why UNI was even "in" this game was because of Tiller (and he proved why the "PUT IN TILLER!!!" crowd were a bunch of idiots). The game might have been ugly and the score might have said it was close, but in reality it was not a close game.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.